The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 187 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#10822 - 04/29/05 07:19 AM Diabetes-cinnamon
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
This is one of those things I read about in a magazine, but never did a darn thing about it for my daughter. What's my problem? I did however tell her that hot baths lower blood sugar when you are in a pinch. They do. It works for her.

But here's the biggie:

500mg. of cinnamon
two capsules in the morning
two at night

You can buy them at the drug, or vitamin store. They're not even expensive. We may have something here!

A dear friend bought a bottle for my daughter because she's tried it and it's working for her! I am so excited about this. I had to share. I'll keep you posted on my daughter's success.

Let me know if you or a loved one decides to try it.

#10823 - 04/29/05 01:08 AM Re: Diabetes-cinnamon
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Somewhere in these posts is me telling you about Cinnamon Dotsie which I take faithfully daily and it does work. I add it to my tea, on my cereal hot or cold and on all the sugar free deserts I make. I am beginning to feel invisible here. I figure I eat about 2 tablespoons a day and it tastes good too. Haven't tried the capsules however. I will get some of those too... [Wink]

#10824 - 04/29/05 01:35 AM Re: Diabetes-cinnamon
unique Offline

Loc: North Carolina
You aren't invisible, Chatty. It's like this:
I remember you telling someone about Flax Seed Oil caps. Ok, I finally broke down and bought some and ...... I can't remember what I bought them for!!! And even tho I check the forums several times a day, do you think I remembered to do a search for 'flax seed oil'? Not.
I'm telling ya, it's just ol' Alz hanging out at my house. That's all. Just old Al.

#10825 - 04/29/05 07:06 AM Re: Diabetes-cinnamon
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Well Unique you've come to the right place. Actually flax seed is good for numerous things all good for us, but we were talking about regularity and it is especislly good for keeping one regular, also for energy and has been kinown to darken a persons hair, yep right back to the natural color....You can't go wrong taking it, but start slow and build gradually to about 2 tbls. a day. I buy the seeds and grind mine fresh...it doesn't stay at full strength if loeft to long even in the fridge once its been ground...Capsules don't have the same problem... [Razz]

#10826 - 04/29/05 10:55 PM Re: Diabetes-cinnamon
Dotsie Offline
Founder

chatty, you are right. I remember hearing it from you too, but still never did anything about it. I guess someone had to hand me the bottle of capsules.

This is only her second day taking them. I'll let you know how they work.

#10827 - 05/01/05 06:22 AM Re: Diabetes-cinnamon
lionspaaw Offline

Loc: SW Florida
okay okay i'm being blonde here

what did i miss about cinnamon and diabetes ????

hubby has type II -- doesnt have any problems but i'm always curious about new things

fill me in please -- pretty please

#10828 - 05/03/05 02:50 AM Re: Diabetes-cinnamon
DJ Offline

Loc: Ohio
Dots,
last fall, maybe summer, when we were taking a walk, I told you about that article in the paper about cinnamon too!
You must be distracted. I wonder why?
[Wink]
Lion, the article I read said that having a tsp of cinnamon a day can help your body to process sugar and help ward off type II diabetes -- at least I think that's the explanation. I'm putting it in my (decaf) cappuccino in the a.m. Don't have diabetes, but I want to process those sugars!

#10829 - 05/03/05 04:59 AM Re: Diabetes-cinnamon
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Lionspaaw it also has a property in it that helps the cells open up to the insulin the body makes naturally which in turn helps keep the glucose regular. I put the ground up spice in my morning tea, on toast and/or cereal and it tastes good too. I haven't tried the capsules but am buying some to try on the days I don't feel like eating. [Razz]

#10830 - 05/03/05 06:02 PM Re: Diabetes-cinnamon
Dotsie Offline
Founder

DJ, I remember now that you mention it.

So let's see... I read about it in a magazine, you told me, AND chatty told me, but it wasn't until my friend gave me the bottle that I decided to give it a try. That's pathetic. I feel as though I was neglecting my daughter. [Frown]

She's taking 4 a day. We go to the doctors this month. We'll see what happens.

#10831 - 02/04/06 06:04 AM Re: Diabetes-cinnamon
Scorpio115 Offline

Loc: New York
Dotsie:
This is long after you wrote the bit on cinnamon but I was checking out this forum because I have Type I diabetes. I take a couple of shots a day. Strangely enough I was diagnosed with this insulin-dependent form of the disease in my early 40's. I'm not doing too well on maintaining my blood sugars even after all these years (15) so I'm willing to try the cinnamon tablets. As I read that your daughter has it, have you found any other tips?

#10832 - 02/05/06 01:02 AM Re: Diabetes-cinnamon
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Scorpio, Diabetes is one of my hot topics. My nubby is a Type I diabetic and has been since he was 21.

The cinnamon didn't do much for my daughter. She no longer takes it.

The best tip I have for Diabetics is EXERCISE. Evening exercise has cut out one of my husband's shots a day. He takes several.

If my daughter's number is high (she controls only with exercise and diet)and she goes for a run, it drops.

She also swears that hot baths help reduce her number. You may want to try that.

Feel free to ask anything about the disease. I know a lot from the caretakers point of view.

I know it's not easy to keep the numbers down, but it is vital if you want to lilve a long, healthy life.

I wish you the best.

#10833 - 02/05/06 07:02 AM Re: Diabetes-cinnamon
chatty lady Offline
Writer

I read recently that besides the exercise being the number one best thing for Diabetes, that all diabetics should hit the hot tub every night as well. The hot swirling water is good some how. Hey its worth a try and cinnamon has really helped lower my numbers but I use powdered, not pill form and sprinkle it into my foods, cereal, oatmeal, even some veges, puddings and tea etc .

#10834 - 02/06/06 01:17 AM Re: Diabetes-cinnamon
Dotsie Offline
Founder

chatty, I bet the hot tub works even better than a hot bath.

Hmmm, this may be a good reason to get one.

#10835 - 02/06/06 02:24 AM Re: Diabetes-cinnamon
Maggie Offline

Loc: Oregon
Chatty, I remembered you writing about cinnamon and when a friend told me take it in the fall I did. My numbers are sometimes better when I do. Like you I use it on my cereal in the morning. May have to try some of the other things too.
Maggie

#10836 - 02/07/06 03:46 AM Re: Diabetes-cinnamon
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Scorpio there are two really informative books on Diabetes that I swear by. Look for The Glucose Revolution by Drs. Jennie Brand Miller, Thomas M.S. Wolever, Stephen Colagiuri, and Kaye Foster-Powell...also and the best book I ever learned from is: Reversing Diabetes by Dr. Julian Whitaker. He also as a clinic in Anaheim California where he does miracles with nutrition and vitamins etc. People check in ther for a week or more...There are many books available just go to the main BWS page and Google Diabetes books....

[ February 06, 2006, 07:47 PM: Message edited by: chatty lady ]

#10837 - 02/07/06 09:43 PM Re: Diabetes-cinnamon
MiwSher Offline

Loc: Canada
I was diagnosed with Type II Diabetes just this past summer. I'm so glad I read these posts! I like to put cinnamon in my coffee and I love it on toast. I'll have to try it and see if it affects my blood sugars.

It's hard for me to exercise, which is very frustrating right now. I was born with spina bifida. I'm paraplegic and use a wheelchair. I tried diet alone but it didn't help so I take Metformin (Glucophage). I'm still learning the ins and outs of this disease so any tips I can get would be appreciated.

MiwSher

#10838 - 03/10/06 12:21 AM Re: Diabetes-cinnamon
BJ_BOBBI_JO Offline

Loc: indiana USA
i am a strange diabetic that has extreme insulin resistance like that of a type 2 and my pancreas does not make insulin like that of a type 1.
cinnamon taste mighty good but does not help my sugars. chromium GTF helps some and it helps to limit the carb cravings its a natural mineral we all need anyways.
i was on 7 or more shots a day and glocophage. now im on the pump and glucophage

#10839 - 03/10/06 07:24 PM Re: Diabetes-cinnamon
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Miwsher, my daughter swears hot baths lower her blood sugar. You can't beat that. It's certainly easy enough.

BJ, how do you like the pump? And which one are you using?

Hubby is a Type I and takes 4-5 shots a day. Not a biggie though. He never complains and takes very good care of himself. He has tremendous self-discipline.

#10840 - 03/10/06 07:25 PM Re: Diabetes-cinnamon
Dotsie Offline
Founder

BJ, why don't you begin another post and tell us about your Hurricane Katrina experiences?

#10841 - 03/18/06 11:43 PM Re: Diabetes-cinnamon
Searcher Offline

Loc: boise
HELP!! Fellow Boomers, I am here to ask your advice. I belong to a group for people who either have the brain tumor, craniophayngioma, or who are caretakers. I received this email this morning, and I'm really not sure how to respond. This may be a young person who has no one else to guide her.....the message from her neuro to her gen. practioner is obvious :

HELLO
I HAVE RECEIVED A LETTER FROM MY NEURO SURGEON WHAT IS A COPY OF ONE HE HAS SENT TO MY GP. IT TELLS HIM ABOUT MY GROWTH AND SAYS ON IT "AS YOU ARE AWARE OF THE HIGH MORBIDITY RATE OF THE EXCERTION OF THIS TYPE OF TUMOR" CAN ANYONE TELL ME WHAT THAT MEANS. COS WHEN I LAST SPOKE TO MY NEURO HE SAID WHEN I HAVE SURGERY AGAIN HE'S GOING FOR ALL OF IT.
THANKS

Anyone care to offer me at least one good idea? Or ANY idea??? SOON ????
Can you imagine what is running thru this girl's mind?

Searcher

#10842 - 03/19/06 12:15 AM Re: Diabetes-cinnamon
Bluebird Offline

Loc: Pagosa Springs, Colorado
Searcher, based on our PM's, I'd say go ahead and email her and ask her how old she is and if she has anyone there with her. If she's not terribly young and someone is there with her, then tell her as gently as possible and strongy recmmend that she talk to whoever is there with her.
I will pray for you right now...
((HUGS))

#10843 - 03/19/06 12:27 AM Re: Diabetes-cinnamon
Searcher Offline

Thank you, Bluebird, I think I'll do that - guess I prob. knew that, but needed a little extra support! So scarey for her.........when I know she's already been thru hell....Thanks for the prayers...

#10844 - 03/19/06 12:56 AM Re: Diabetes-cinnamon
Bluebird Offline

I'm happy to pray for this situation and we all need someone to "second the motion" sometimes.
Let us know how it turns out. You're so sweet to take this on, and also so qualified.

#10845 - 03/19/06 01:18 AM Re: Diabetes-cinnamon
Searcher Offline

I did email her to ask if she has anyone nearby whom she trusts, and I hope I did it in a way that won't add to her fear....It sure has added to mine! Thanks again, Bluebird. O geez, this is EXACTLY why I avoided this site in the first place, you just wait, she'll have no one and then I'll feel responsible to "adopt" her and........first thing you know, she'll tell me she's having siezures and then ....perish the thought!

#10846 - 03/20/06 04:25 PM Re: Diabetes-cinnamon
AvalonBlondi Offline

Loc: West Chester ,PA
Wow Searcher...this is really scary....I think the woman should call her Doctor and ask he/she what it means..actually the GP should have called her as soon as he/she got the neuro-surgeon's report...don't you agree? What a shame for her...she sounds very naive? I hope you aren't getting too upset about this....you're really sweet trying to help her....but she needs to consult with her physician. Just my thoughts on it

#10847 - 03/21/06 02:17 AM Re: Diabetes-cinnamon
Searcher Offline

Avalon,

You are such a nice person...I did talk to her via email and we ended up spending the whole evening going back and forth. Yes, I do think she's naive...She does not have anyone besides her fiance. She's 40 years old....and has had multiple surgeries for this tumor (not unusual, 60% have recurrences. The reason Nichole did not, her neurosurgeon and I agreed there would only be one surgery. Get it all now, or.....she dies on the table.) She needs someone to talk to...and today I noticed some others had replied as well...so I think she's covered about as well as we can provide right now. We promised to stay in touch. She sent me pictures of herself and her fiance. Just the cutest and most adorable couple - ruddy cheeks and all - they're from the UK.....Thanks for your concern, I'll keep you updated....

Search

#10848 - 03/21/06 02:55 AM Re: Diabetes-cinnamon
Bluebird Offline

You did good, Searcher! She's in God's hands but you have played a part in how she will live or die. You are a good soul.

#10849 - 03/21/06 04:46 AM Re: Diabetes-cinnamon
Searcher Offline

Thank you Blue, but one wonders............

Maybe I can take this time to raise some awareness of this awful and life altering tumor. I'll try to be short, but ya'll know how I am. Firstly, this tumor has been consistent in it's prevalence over the years --- about 97 in all of the US per year. Very low incidence. Because of that, monies are slow to come for research. But much progress has been made in the removal and after effects since Nichole had hers, in 1977. The CAT scan was relatively new then. MRI's didn't come til later. And Nik had a metal staple in her head from the surgery and was never able to take advantage.

Here are just a few of the remaining problems from this surgery that the people face:

1. Many times the tumor causes blindness since it is so near the optic nerve and cuts off blood supply. Nichole was legally blind in one eye, and had no vision in the other.

2. The pituitary (our master gland) is often removed. this leads to:
a. no growth hormone. if this happens while
young, like Niki, they need growth
hormone, given in shots.

b. no antidieuretic hormone. This means they
have diabetus insipidus - a condition
whereby their pituitary does not instruct
their bodies to stop the thirst mechanism
nor the release of urine. Think about that.
We lived in Chicago at the time, and used
say, Nichole would drink Lake Michigan,
and then pee it. She would literally kill
someone for water - if she had been big
enuf. Nowadays, there's some relief for
this, but not a cure...It's still an issue
for many.

c.No female or male hormone. This means
that a child will not develop secondary
sex characteristics. No pubic hair, no
breasts, no period, no underarm hair...
unless provided for by synthetic
hormone. Never a replacement for the
real thing.

d. No thyroxin. Meaning no thyroid
hormone. This has a myriad of meaning.
Thyroid controls much of our emotion,
much of our temperature control, much
of our metabolism. This is a BIG deal.
And believe me, no thyroid pill
replaces the real thing.

e.Many times the hypothalmus which lies
next to the pituitary is compromised
also. This is involved in many
things, but one is the issue of
weight and hunger, and temperature
control. Nichole was always freezing.
and could never be left in the heat.
She had hypothalmic obesity which no
one could understand, notwithstanding
her local doctors, who I now find,
derelict in their understanding of
this disease, but also willing to say
that they did. I find this apalling.
And did so then. They Just couldn't
find a way to say, "I just don't know".
Even tho the research was there, I
KNEW IT, I had done the reading. Why
then, didn't they?

f. And then the really biggy, cortisol.
This hormone is the one we use for
stress. Physical stress and
emotional stress. Our bodies
continually release cortisol to
combat stress. If we are ill, our
bodies release cortisol. If we are
under stress of any kind, our bodies
release cortisol. For Nichole, if
she was ill, a cold or flu, (and
their bodies immune systems are
compromised), we would have to
improvise with an injection
according to the degree of fever or
whatever.... This is most assuredly
a task that is overwhelming. to
medical staff and to MOMs. Certainly
to schools. And most assuredly to
local physicians. Nichole had this
kind of "failure" at least 4 times.

e. These issues are but a minor
explanation of this tumor. It
is considered catastophic, and
in my estimation, is most
assuredly that, and much, much
more. The people who have this
diagnosis face one of the most
difficult in all of humanity,
since they don't necessarily
die from it readily, but have
to live this kind of life for
years to come. And so do their
caretakers and loved ones. I have
often said, there are worse things
than death. Altho, at the present
time, I wonder.....

Now to add to these dilemmas,
Nichole began to have siezures.
Serious siezures. Where she would
quit breathing and turn blue. Me
beating on her chest before i would
call 911. For thousands of these,
she came back on her own. The last
of which, she did not.

I have given you only an inkling of this life with such a tumor removal. Today it is better, but not so much that it's not an issue. These people are still suffering and need our compassion. More than that, they need our help.

Searcher

#10850 - 03/21/06 05:07 AM Re: Diabetes-cinnamon
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
And they have a voice in your dear friend. Thank you for taking the time to enlighten us all. I for one had no idea.

JJ

#10851 - 03/21/06 07:02 AM Re: Diabetes-cinnamon
Searcher Offline

Nor would anyone have an idea. And I hope that no other person would ever have to know. But in light of my being a part of this forum, you have all just been part of something that has touched you. Please make an effort to consider this....

Searcher

#10852 - 03/21/06 08:03 AM Re: Diabetes-cinnamon
flipperjo Offline

Loc: ND
Searcher, I can only say, keep communicating about this. You honor Nichole in helping others who suffer as she did.

#10853 - 03/21/06 08:53 AM Re: Diabetes-cinnamon
AvalonBlondi Offline

Loc: West Chester ,PA
Searcher...You did an amazing thing for a troubled soul...now that I am thinking about it...I'll bet you Nichole led her straight to you...the way I see this ...there is ANOTHER chapter for that book you need to write...

I had no idea how rare this disease that changed your family's life is...Life is so fragile isn't it? Is the USA the only nation researching cures for it at this time do you know?

#10854 - 03/24/06 06:31 PM Re: Diabetes-cinnamon
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Searcher, all I can say is WOW. I was so clueless about the numerous ways Nicole suffered, and you right along with her. How did you do it? And how are you doing it now?

I don't mean to sound dramatic. I have lived through a few low blood sugar reactions with my husband that really threw me for a loop. I know the sharp memories that remain for the following weeks. The "what ifs?" and how hard it was to relax and not be a basket case thinking they can occur any night. How did you relax?

Are you relaxing yet?

And God bless you for reaching out to others in need. It's got to stir the memories yet you do it anyway. You are indeed a blessing.

#10855 - 03/24/06 10:14 PM Re: Diabetes-cinnamon
Searcher Offline

Well My Friends,

Thanks for reading about this.....I know it really concerns no one here at the present time and hopefully never....But I think that awareness is always a good thing -- and in some ways, you all have known my Nik, so are concerned after all....

So far, I've only been able to communicate with this one young woman, so no accoulades are deserved!! But this was the defining factor in our lives and surely is theirs....I can't just leave it be. It's just too devastating for anyone out there who might need some support. We didn't get nearly enough (barely any really), and it's too awful to think that someone else might be going thru this alone...or with limited help. Today alone, I received 6 emails from people who are in renal crisis, 3 yesterday, and more from days before...Several emails from those who have the flu (serious business for these people)and one from a Mom whose child needed surgery and the attending "forgot" the child needed extra cortisone before....the child was failing fast when the mother realized she had not asked the doctor if he had given the extra dose. The dose was given, the child survived. Had the mother not remembered, she would have been dead by morning. I'd be changing doctors today!!!!

Avalon, I'm sure you're right that Nichole had something to do with this - at least I hope so.

Dotsie, no one can be too dramatic about this..this is as dramatic as it gets....I always said "Usually, people this ill either get better, or leave this world.." with this serious health issue, many still live on to late years in life - IF they can stay on top of all these issues.....It's possible because we do have cortsone in pill form now and the other hormones as well, it's just the very biggest Managing problem, and from day to day, you just never know..

I truly can't say how we managed. I inherently have "bulldog tenacity" and just won't give up when in other areas, I probably should have. In this case, a good thing.....And anyway, what's the alternative????? But the real thing was that, I loved her. Simple as that. We daily went through some crisis or another, and after siezures began, many times daily. I do think that we always had "SOMEONE" giving us the strength we needed for that day, even when we didn't feel we had any at all....

But also, education is key. Nichole and these others had a health issue so fragile, that it's not possible to live long without learning a great deal about all this...As you well know, Dotsie.

To answer your question, Dotsie, I don't think I really remember what relaxing is. When I am still, I end up thinking about things - replaying scenes of our lives...but at least I am no longer hearing phantom siezures..I used to jump up with my heart beating like crazy and begin to run, only to realize it was just the cat or something....I say I'll never die of a heart attack because it's been tested to beyond it's limits a thousand times a thousand!!!

I'l tell you this and then be quiet. Winston, our 16 year old dog, (if some of you will recall) was getting really bad at the last. Sam and I were here, wondering what we should do, when Winston began having a siezure. Sam grabbed him and held on tight. After, we looked at each other and called the vet. We took him in and put him down right then. That's one thing I don't think either of us will ever be able to survive again.

Thanks for listening

Searcher

#10856 - 03/24/06 10:24 PM Re: Diabetes-cinnamon
Bluebird Offline

You summed up how you survived and how you managed with 3 simple words..."I loved her"...
that's what life is, always has been and always will be about - LOVE. That "someone" that's been helping you is God, because God IS love. He loves you even more than you loved Nik, if you can only imagine. Not only does He love you, He loves THROUGH you. That's why He trusted you with His Nichole. [Smile]

((HUGS))

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved