The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 109 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#10796 - 03/21/05 09:38 PM women and heart attacks
DJ Offline

Loc: Ohio
A co worker of my husband died of a heart attack last week. She was only 50 and had no history of heart disease. And was a nurse so probably knew a lot of staying healthy. But what they think is that when she was in the bathroom at night, she might have strained while having a bowel movement. I'd never heard before that this can lead to heart attacks. A friend told me that her niece had a stroke at age 11 and was told never to strain in the bathroom or it could cause a heart attack.
I understand that heart attack symptoms and causes are different for women and men. We need to know these things!

#10797 - 03/22/05 01:56 AM Re: women and heart attacks
Vicki M. Taylor Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
It's true. Straining to have a bowel movement is a risk factor for older people.

If someone is chronically constipated, they should get on some type of bulk fiber regiment treatment.

#10798 - 03/22/05 02:44 AM Re: women and heart attacks
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
I guess this means I don't have to worry with my Colitis? Actually, I had never heard this and it's really scary! Thanks for posting it.

#10799 - 03/22/05 07:17 AM Re: women and heart attacks
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Remember when I recently ended up in the hospital with off the chart heart rythms, diabetes way high? Well the trigger to all of it was the fact that I had been constipated terribly for "2 weeks." I was taking stool softners, enemas and even pain pills. Once in the emergency room they gave me a shot that managed to finally break the chain so to speak and I filled two bed pans plus another trip to the bathroom once they let me get up. I use to complain because I suffered from colitis most of my adult life but never knew, although inconvenient it was actually a blessing. I know now!!!! I now take one Aloe Vera capsule each morning and another with dinner plus a Fenugreek tablet. These two are inexpensive and keep you normal plus keep thye colon area free from toxins. Betty Boop told me about them and I researched for myself and found they are a miracle for folks that have any kind of bowel problems. I will never be without them....Not a gentile topic but one every human being has to deal with and I for one am happy someone started it.... [Razz] By the way so you know. The longer your stool remains inside of you the more toxic waste that bleeds through the rectal walls into your bloodstream and yes it can cause all sorts of problems and straining can and has caused heart attacks. My father died in the bathroom on the toilet, constipated. His wife found nim there....

#10800 - 03/23/05 08:04 AM Re: women and heart attacks
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
The things you learn at BWS. [Big Grin] They can save your life!

[ March 22, 2005, 12:04 PM: Message edited by: Dotsie ]

#10801 - 03/22/05 10:28 PM Re: women and heart attacks
Donna D in Canada Offline

Loc: Langley, BC, Canada
I too suffer from Ulcerative Colitis, but luckily haven't had a flare up for a long time (touching wood, as I write this!). I've rarely had the constipation, but I know how terrible it is when it happens. I never knew that straining could trigger a heart attack, but I'm not surprised.

chattylady, I'm glad you've found something that works for you. I used to take aloe vera, but a naturopath suggested I try ground flax seeds and flax oil for regularity, and I find it really works for me. I put them both in a blueberry/soy milk soothie, every morning...delicious! I highly recommend the combination for "smooth" bowels [Smile]

Wishing good health to all,
cheers,
Donna

#10802 - 03/23/05 06:42 AM Re: women and heart attacks
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Donna D, yes I agree and do take flax seed daily I grind it into biscuits muffins, cereal too. I actually forgot about that being good for constipation. I do it for heart health and it keeps my skin soft and my hair shiny. [Big Grin]

#10803 - 03/24/05 06:02 AM Re: women and heart attacks
Sadie Offline

Loc: MD
We eat Prunes for constipation . This is if you like prunes . We eat two prunes a day and love them and good dessert also.

Flax seed oil is good also.Just some thoughts!

[ March 24, 2005, 01:38 AM: Message edited by: Nancy50 ]

#10804 - 03/26/05 01:07 AM Re: women and heart attacks
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Lord, what a topic. I wanted to add that before I had my colonoscopy, one of the questions that I answered that alerted the doctor was switching between being constipated and having diarrhea. This is one of the signs of colitis or in my case, Lymphcytic Colitis. That sounds so royal, doesn't it? Anyway, she took a small tissue sample and there it was! Lucky me.

[ March 25, 2005, 05:07 PM: Message edited by: Dianne ]

#10805 - 03/26/05 01:08 AM Re: women and heart attacks
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

PS: Do you suppose this is what happened to Elvis?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved