The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 121 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#10765 - 02/03/05 10:27 PM Test Results - Heart
Vicki M. Taylor Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
I had an echocardiagram and got the test results this week. The doctor says that it's nothing too serious, but I need to repeat the echo every year from now on.

Apparently, I have 2 heart valves with leaks and my heart muscle is thickening. The doctor says that the thickening heart muscle is usually a result of high blood pressure, but not in my case. I have low blood pressure.

Any ideas on how I'm supposed to stop my heart from building muscle?

#10766 - 02/03/05 10:55 PM Re: Test Results - Heart
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Stop being such a caring person. [Wink] [Big Grin]

#10767 - 02/04/05 01:22 AM Re: Test Results - Heart
Vicki M. Taylor Offline

Thanks, Dotsie. [Smile]

#10768 - 02/04/05 02:36 AM Re: Test Results - Heart
Pam Kimmell Offline

Loc: Warrenton, Virginia
Vicki I love the way Dotsie thinks! Perhaps women with big caring hearts just build more heart muscle?! Seriously though, did he explain any of the reasoning to you or is it just some genetic thing? The women in my side of the family all have heart anomalies - I have a leaky valve, my sister has a murmer and my Mom had a bundle branch blockage....I just can't imagine that there isn't some familial tendency in there. Anyone in your family have a history of valve problems?

If the leaky valves cause your heart to beat irregularly or faster than it should, I wonder if that could cause thickening muscle tissue....Gosh I'm starting to sound almost like I know what I'm talking about (HAHA)....did your doc prescribe any medication?

TIRED OF QUESTIONS? Sorry - I just care about you and I'm always interested in valve disorders since I have one myself. [Confused]

#10769 - 02/04/05 03:13 AM Re: Test Results - Heart
Louisa Offline

Loc: MA
Vicki,
Do you have cardiomyopathy? That is a condition in which the heart muscle thickens. Let me know. I have it.
Louisa

#10770 - 02/04/05 05:49 AM Re: Test Results - Heart
Vicki M. Taylor Offline

Dr never really did give it a "name".. just said two leaky valves and a buildup of heart muscle.

Now, I do have irregular heart beats too, so that, with the leaky valves can cause muscle to build up. (The leaky valves make the heart work harder)

My mom and my aunt both have leaky valves as well. And, my mom has an enlarged heart, which I understand is bad.

#10771 - 02/04/05 05:49 AM Re: Test Results - Heart
Sadie Offline

Loc: MD
Will you take medication for this . I will say a prayer for you. Hope that this condition will improve in some way.

Take Care.

#10772 - 02/04/05 09:07 AM Re: Test Results - Heart
smilinize Offline

Loc: outer space
Vicki
I don't have much information about your case, but the extra heart muscle sounds like the heart's compensation for the leaaky valve. When the valve does not close properly the heart has to pump harder because the blood keeps leaking back into the chamber. As a result of the added effort the heart muscle, like any other muscle) increases in size from use and effort.
It's not a good thing and can lead to more serious things. It needs watching, but I have known patients who lived a full life with no obvious problems.
smile

#10773 - 02/05/05 02:00 AM Re: Test Results - Heart
Vicki M. Taylor Offline

I'm wondering that I can do to help it improve in any way. Smile, your comments are right on the money. That's exactly what's causing the heart to work extra hard.

The doctor will continue to watch it with regular yearly echocardiagrams. And, I'll be good little girl and not stress over it.

Nancy, I would always appreciate a prayer. Thank you.

[ February 04, 2005, 06:01 PM: Message edited by: Vicki M. Taylor ]

#10774 - 02/05/05 02:27 AM Re: Test Results - Heart
Pam Kimmell Offline

Loc: Warrenton, Virginia
We'll all say a little prayer for you Vicki.

#10775 - 02/05/05 06:35 AM Re: Test Results - Heart
Louisa Offline

Vicki, The doctor hasn't given you any medicine I take it. Is this your primary physician or a cardiologist? If I were you, I would want to see a cardiologist. I have two problems. I have a heart block that is called a left bundle branch. That showed up on an ekg during a regular exam. My doctor took the ekg because of a very fast heart rate. From that I was sent to a heart doctor, given an echo, eventually a stress test, tons of blood tests, etc. and diagnosed with cardiomyopathy at that point. I didn't even know I had anything. I was put on 3 med for the heart and am on them still even though my condition has improved. I don't have any leaks [Smile] but it does involve the heart muscle. Find out if what you have has a name and find out more about it so you can know what to do that might help. It's worth the effort. Good luck.
Louisa

#10776 - 02/05/05 09:35 AM Re: Test Results - Heart
smilinize Offline

It sounds as if Vicki's condition might be cardiomegaly which is different than cardiomopathy. Cardiomyopathy is usually treated with meds whereas cardiomagaly may not require meds unless it worsens.
Taking any of the phen phen diet drugs can lead to similar conditions. If either of you took those drugs, you might want to contact an attorney to see if you should be in that lawsuit. Just a thought.
smile

[ February 05, 2005, 01:36 AM: Message edited by: smilinize ]

#10777 - 02/05/05 09:20 PM Re: Test Results - Heart
Vicki M. Taylor Offline

The doctor hasn't given me any medications to take for my heart.

Once, about 6 years ago, I took phen (not phen phen) for less than 30 days. Not sure if that small dose would do anything.

I go back to see the doctor in a month. I'll make sure to get a copy of my echo results and ask the doctor some more questions.

#10778 - 02/05/05 11:54 PM Re: Test Results - Heart
Louisa Offline

No, I never took phen phen or anything. They think it was a viral infection. Of course, that is what they say when they can't figure something out. The silver lining was that I lost over 20 pounds after I started taking the meds. They don't think that's what did it, but it sure helped me to improve.
Louisa

#10779 - 02/06/05 12:46 AM Re: Test Results - Heart
smilinize Offline

Vicki, even though you only took phen phen for 30 days, you might be able to participate in that class action suit.

I don't know much about it, but I believe valves leaking is one of the effects for which people are being compensated. Seems like the only people who benefit from those suits are the attorneys, and the whole thing seems weird, but if it is a condition that can affect you for the rest of your life and if the drug companies didn't know about it, they should have. Maybe if they have to pay off, they will have to take note.
smile

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved