The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 170 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#10759 - 01/08/05 10:52 PM Re: bone density test
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
Ever since the osteopenia diagnosis, I've taken 1500mgs of calcium daily. Saw my GP last week and was told I didn't need to up the dose for now.

As far as childhood eating habits, I ate everything that wasn't bolted down 24/7 including tons of dairy products which I still love (although I've had to cut down because of cholesterol.) As a child, I probably consumed as much food as your average linebacker and I was skinny as a rail until puberty exploded --- so it's not like I wasn't getting enough calcium in my diet. My mother tells stories about how she was so skinny as a child and teen, the doctor ordered her to get a daily milkshake on the way home from school!

In addition, my mother was always physically very active (weight-bearing activities) and so was I. So I'd have to say this may be heredity, but definitely not from lack of nutrients, calories or exercise.

#10760 - 01/11/05 04:28 AM Re: bone density test
Princess Lenora Offline

Loc: Colorado
Hello girlfriends, when I was 48 I was still menstruating and PMSing (actually diagnosed PMDD). Then I got cancer. Chemo induced menopause. No periods for two years now, coinciding with my very first chemo treatment! Anyway, doctor wanted a bone density because of the sudden chemical induced cessation of periods. Insurance wouldn't pay for bone denisty until I was 65! Doctor wrote letter, insurance finally complied. Bone density came back "osteopenia." Now I take Fosamax. I am grateful to know about osteopenia and Foxamax because both my mother and grandmother have osteoporosis. I'm glad there is treatment for this generation, and generations to follow. Love and Light, Lynn

#10761 - 06/06/06 09:22 PM Re: bone density test
Cookie Offline

Loc: USA
I had a bone density test last Fall and was told I had osteopina and I should get started on Fosamax right away. I was a tad bit shocked by that to say the least. I'm not a skinny gal....never have been. Plus, there were no women with bad bones in my family. As a kid,I had lots of milk, cheese and homeade ice cream. Heck, my uncle had a dairy farm! The nurse gave me some samples of Fosamax in the office. I said, "Uh, what, are ya afraid I'm gonna break a hip on my out out of here or something?" So I told her I would think about the medicine, but I don't take any medicine with out doing some research on it. I didn't like what I found out. You need to read the fine print on the inserts that comes with Fosamax. You might have use a magnify glass to read it, but do read it! For starters,most folks dropped out of the studies because of side effects. After lots of research & talking with women who had bone density tests, I decided that Fosamax isn't for me.

Here is short excerpt below from an article from one of the websites that I found when I was doing some reserach on it last year, explaining how the word osteopina came into being.

Osteoporosis and Fosamax
by Marcelle Pick, OB/GYN NP

Drug companies, including the makers of Fosamax, are making a fortune based on women’s misconceptions of osteoporosis and bone loss. In this article, you’ll learn the truth about bone health after menopause.

What is osteopenia?
As recently as the 1970’s, the diagnosis of osteopenia didn’t exist (my colleague, Dixie Mills, checked her textbooks from medical school just to be sure). Experts chose this term in the 1980’s to fit the women who didn't quite have osteoporosis to motivate them to pay attention to bone health.

However, there was no medical basis for choosing this number and no studies to support everyone’s immediate assumption that a diagnosis of osteopenia meant you were headed for osteoporosis. No one seemed to notice — except of course the drug companies — that by this definition almost half of all post-menopausal women now had the new medical condition called osteopenia.

Because osteoporosis is progressive, the diagnosis of osteopenia can be very frightening —many women stop lifting heavy objects or engaging in physical exercise for fear of fractures. But in reality almost all women with osteopenia should be getting more exercise, not less!

~Cookie~

#10762 - 06/07/06 02:24 AM Re: bone density test
Vicki M. Taylor Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
You're right about the exercise. Last year, my bone density test showed I lost 10% bone mass. One of the things my doctor told me to do was exercise more to help build bone mass. So, I've been walking every day.

I had another bone density scan last week. I'm looking forward to getting the results to see if all the walking helped.

#10763 - 06/08/06 12:41 AM Re: bone density test
Saundra Offline

Loc: Daytona Beach, Florida
I remember the day my GYN called me a "skinny white woman" and put me on Fosamax, also because I take prednisone.

I have a bone density test every 2 years, paid for by my insurance. Insurance is on my grateful list.

When my mother was alive she never talked to me about any of her problems so I don't know much about her.

I posted about Fosamax and jaw bone loss a month or so ago. It's in here somewhere. I now take it every 2 weeks instead of every week and the jaw pain has stopped.

#10764 - 07/29/06 10:00 PM Re: bone density test [Re: Saundra]
JaMaPh Offline

Loc: Phoenix, Az
**getting up on soapbox**

To avoid constipation, take magnesium with the calcium, this is a MUST. The calcium will be better absorbed also.

Doctors in the US tell women to take up to 1800 mg of calcium, but in my research, the stupid idiot doctor that started all that, was lying. Much like the ahole that said he did all kinds of research on stem cell research just to get grant money, [he's now in prison].
It's a LIE. more calcium is NOT necessary and if you take too much, it can cause kidney stones because of too much calcium in the body.

Make sure you take boron also, it has something to do with the calcium, but I can't remember what. I am now, instead of taking 1800 mg of calcium, [from Sam's club with crappy chemicals in it], I'm taking Solaray's calcium, mag, zinc and vit. d.

However if you are bare from the waist up and in the sun for 30 minutes, you will get your daily dose of vit d. I think it's 30 min, might be 15. This means not a cloudy day, but in the sun.

However, being in the sun also damages the macrophages, and if you're immune system is not good, you might not want to do that. Just take a pill.

Being fat or skinny doesn't matter on osteoporosis. I'm fat. Big belly, nice legs and arms. If my torso were longer like NORMAL people's!! LOL then I would be ok. but it ain't.
I've always carried around a bit more. [even in the military underweight but with a pot belly] Fat or skinny's got nothing to do with it.

And we need exercise. not just the pool, but exercise that has impact. Do NOT stop cleaning the bathroom and lifting heavy things, like Cookie said. I got scared after the doc FREAKED out over my dexa test and stopped doing stuff.
But my God is a HUGE God and he has healed me. I have stubbed my toes and not broken them. I still do take the supplements though.

And not everyone can drink dairy products. I am one. Sometimes my immune system goes down [like when I do a 'healthy trade show] and then I can't have dairy. Calcium is not always readily available or absorbed from yogurt and milk.

There are liquid calcium products 'out there'.

DO NOT not take your supplements. If you love yourself, take them. If you say you love or care about ANYONE else and you are not taking care of yourself, you are lying.

I know, I sound harsh, but I am rabid about this.

My dexa said -4.2. Don't even think I haven't researched the heck outta this. I am 52.

There is also some work that has BEEN done on sounds and osteo...lemme go find it...
dang, can't find it. do a search on Bob Beck.

vibrations supposed to strengthen bones. low tones.

but I'm only one person and can't research it all and still work.

Janine
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + +
Like real life stuff? Go here:
http://www.my-walk-with-God.com

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved