The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 128 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#107490 - 02/12/07 05:01 PM Could I ask a favor?
copygal Offline

Loc: Texas
Good Morning Ladies-
I was hoping I could ask a favor of the widows in our group. I intend to approach our local paper about a column idea. I want to help out the widows in our area, answer any questions they may have, help them find necessary resources in the area and just generally be there to listen. I've written a pitch letter to the managing editor, included a starter article to help kick off the idea, but I also need a minimum of five sample columns to send along. I want them to be real letters that I can answer, to show that I can write and I can help. Could I ask some of you lovely ladies to help me out here and write me some sample letters? I would be eternally grateful. I've already asked a couple of new friends of mine to help out and they've graciously agreed, but I need a few more letters. I'd really appreciate any and all help with this project. Everyone needs a purpose in life and since my husband died, I've been in a kind of limbo, not quite sure where I was headed or what my new purpose could be. I believe this may be it. I have to earn a living and I'd so like to help people, this may be the way to do both and I must pursue it.
TIA for any help, encouragement and support. And if there's anything I can do for any of you, don't hesitate to ask.
Copygal

Life is what happens while you're making other plans.

#107491 - 02/12/07 10:54 PM Re: Could I ask a favor? [Re: copygal]
Jane_Carroll Offline

Loc: Alabama
Copygal,
What a wonderful idea. I don't fit your category but I wish you success and comfort for you and all those you will help.

#107492 - 02/15/07 01:21 AM Re: Could I ask a favor? [Re: Jane_Carroll]
Princess Lenora Offline

Loc: Colorado
CG, this is a great idea! I was in Chico's yesterday and I over heard a sales woman say that she is a widow and her house is too big, she wants something smaller, doesn't know what to do. That would probably be an example of the kind of question that might come up in a letter.

#107493 - 02/17/07 02:32 AM Re: Could I ask a favor? [Re: Princess Lenora]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
copygal, how about emailing some of the widows through the boards and ask them personally? I'm sure they'd help if they knew what you were up to.

#107494 - 03/14/07 02:20 AM Re: Could I ask a favor?
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

I'm bringing this back up because it is an excellent example of someone being creative and yet giving back to others. I hope there are some of you who can assist Copygal in her quest.

How's it going CG?

#107495 - 03/14/07 08:04 AM Re: Could I ask a favor? [Re: jawjaw]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Copygal did you get the letters needed. I am a widow twice now, and could write one if you need it.

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#107496 - 03/19/07 09:12 PM Re: Could I ask a favor? [Re: chatty lady]
copygal Offline

Loc: Texas
Queen JJ-You're very kind and I appreciate the encouragement so much. It's taken awhile, but I believe I've found my purpose in life. If I can make a decent living and help other widows at the same time, does it get any better than that?

Chatty Lady-I talked to a couple of widow friends, who very graciously agreed to help me out, but they may have gotten busy, or perhaps it was too painful to follow through with, because I haven't heard anything from them. I went to several forums, to see what other widows were talking about and what needs I could determine that they had, as well as tapping into what I know I've needed myself. I was able to come up with some questions that I could then answer to make up the sample columns. I'm trying now to polish them to as near perfection as I can before I send them to the managing editor at the Dallas Morning News. Any and all prayers and good wishes are deeply appreciated. This would be the dream job for me, and I want it more than I've wanted anything in a long time.

Life is what happens while you're making other plans.

#107497 - 03/20/07 12:00 PM Re: Could I ask a favor? [Re: copygal]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Good luck with your quest. And please let us know how it goes for you, won't you? One thing that crossed my mind is the fact that Boomer women, it is written, will more than likely OUTLIVE their spouses. If this is true, what are women doing to protect themselves spiritually, physically, and mentally, in case this happens to them? Are there things they can do? And what about preparing your children for these types of situations?

I would think that would be an interesting article and would cover more people, as far as interest in the column would be concerned. Just a thought! Good luck to you copygal!

#107498 - 03/25/07 07:21 PM Re: Could I ask a favor? [Re: jawjaw]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Unfortunately Georgia, many of us live with our heads buried in the sand, never thinking that something may happen to the man we love, especially when we are both still young. I wasn't prepared either time and so I had difficult times. It wasn't until I was a senior that social security widows benefit kicked in for me which has helped tremendously. You are exactly correct and we need to think ahead and be prepared but no one likes to think of death...

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved