The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 115 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#107062 - 02/09/07 03:11 AM Aggressive Dog
Anonymous
Unregistered

Ladies, last fall I introduced a new kitten to my family, Blue (7 year old Australian Shep) and Sasha (13.5 yr old cat). The new kitten and dawg have gotten along great, however, lately he has been snapping at her and when I come home the furniture has been moved, closed doors open, clothes strewn about, books and papers chewed, pillows tossed about, alarm clock, kleenex, buttons off jammies, and tonight I lost my temper, he chewed up the new entrance rug. I'm so upset! He has even reached up onto the buffet and taken stuff and chewed! He knew he was in trouble by cowering and immediatly running for his kennel. So pissed, I did not walk him tonight, instead he was let out only long enough to tinkle. He is now in his kennel, where I believe he will stay tonight, and most probably tomorrow while I'm at work, too. I'll walk and feed him in the AM.

I'm still huffing and so upset at him. He has plenty of toys and chew things, yet I know he is upset with me. I attend one class a night and have done so for the 3 years we've been together. He and the kitten and cat were fine last year while I attended school. Now, he has just gone bezerk!

Is he jealous? Angry?

I plan to take him on a hike this weekend through the woods. I did this last week, and while working in the yard he took off, another rare event. Luckily a neighbor caught him b/4 running in front of a truck.

I know the now 6 mth old kitten has a lot of energy and Blue likes his naps, she can be annoying, yet kittens will be kittens, and dawgs will be dawgs.

Any suggestions ladies?

Thx,

#107063 - 02/09/07 07:08 AM Re: Aggressive Dog [Re: ]
yonuh Offline

Loc: Arizona
Mustang, my first thought is to have him checked by the vet. If this change is a sudden one, I would have the vet rule out anything medical first. I'm not an expert by any means, but maybe he's bored? The Aussie we had did those kinds of things, too, but seemed to settle down when we got another dog that kept him company - they entertained each other. Another thought is to consult a trainer. Our local Humane Society has trainers on staff and will do one-time consultations for a small fee.

Hope things get better!
http://sablewings.wordpress.com/

#107064 - 02/09/07 01:42 PM Re: Aggressive Dog [Re: yonuh]
Daisygirl Offline

Loc: Ohio
Mustang, I'm no expert on dogs, but from what I've read, dogs don't have feelings of anger. He may simply be bored and trying to find something to do. I can't say why it started all of a sudden.

Also, you must scold a dog in the act or he won't understand why you are angry with him. He has no clue why you are mad and put him in his kennel and is not teaching him anything.

Daisy gets in plenty of trouble, but I don't scold her, unless I catch her, or if I do, it's a momentary thing and lasts long enough for me to let off some steam. Now I get more angry at myself for forgetting to close the closet door, or leaving food on the counter, or not shutting the laundry room door where the trash is. The problem is, Daisy is smarter than me and I eventually forget to cover all the bases, but she NEVER miss an opportunity when it comes to food.

laurapoplin.com

#107065 - 02/09/07 01:50 PM Re: Aggressive Dog [Re: Daisygirl]
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
Might be time for a doggy shrink.

Boomer Queen of Shoes

#107066 - 02/09/07 10:28 PM Re: Aggressive Dog [Re: ]
Penny Offline

Loc: Texas
That much of a behavior change is more than just being annoyed over a change in routine. First, I'd recommend a visit to the vet and a thorough physical with blood work. Second, don't get pissed at him. There is always a reason for their behavior. Do crate him while at work, but don't use the crate as punishment. That's not fair. Neither is being kept from you is that's part of the problem.

I'm guessing he may be chasing the kitten, and you may need to give the kitten a safe room with a cat tree while you are gone. Herding dogs are working dogs and they nip to herd. The kitten may not be safe while you are gone, and you may find out that if you separate them, his behavior is fine again too. See the vet, and try separating them.

Keep in mind that if you are at work more than 4-5 hours without being able to come home to let them out for a potty break that is too long to be in a crate, even for an adult dog.

I recommend the separation by putting the kitten in a separate room with a cat tree and toys and litter/food, etc.

If the dog is still distressed (and this is a sign of distress of some type), get a good animal behaviorist consultation. Only from someone who is well qualified and who believes only in positive reinforcement training. They can train both of you to understand each other better.

The fact that the dog cowered sounds like you've yelled or hit at some time or maybe that was a part of his past. In any case, it's an absolute no-no. It comes under the category of teaching a child not to hit by hitting them. Huh?!

I take personal questions on my website too. Glad to discuss it further with you or help you find someone properly qualified to help you. Just don't ignore the problem or blame it on the dog. Animals never do anything without a reason.

Visit PetsByPenny.com
[url= [url=http://www.petsbypenny.com]http://www.petsbypenny.com] [url=http://www.petsbypenny.com]http://www.petsbypenny.com[/url] [/url]
A one-stop guide to resources, free Q&A,
articles, and products for pets and people.

#107067 - 02/10/07 02:16 AM Re: Aggressive Dog [Re: Penny]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thank you ladies. The vet says its most probably separation anxiety w/ the introduction of a kitten that does not allow him peace during the day, to which he has become accustomed. In other words, he is top dog and prefers it that way.

During the cold months, Blue is walked 2/5 mile morning and evening, thus 4/5 mile, and longer walks on weekend. Will dress warmer and increase walk to 3/5 mile each way and ensure he gets more personal time in the house w/out constantly following as he has lately.

Vera Bradley has a new dog collar out he may need for his handsome self!

#107068 - 02/11/07 03:14 PM Re: Aggressive Dog [Re: ]
Daisygirl Offline

Loc: Ohio
Mustang, do you have a doggy daycare in your area? That may be a solution to the day you have school in the evening. He would be very tired when he came home!

Your vet's analysis makes sense. When he was alone he could pass the time by sleeping, but now he's awake and getting restless.

I can't wait for spring so we can go for long walks again. Our highs have been in the teens - too cold for us!

laurapoplin.com

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved