The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 177 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#106247 - 02/03/07 08:57 PM 6 course birthday dinner-homemade almost=restau.
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
Well, he amazed me with a 6-course birthday dinner that he prepared. My parnter is someone who cooks regularily, anyway. So that wasn't the surprise. Weeks ago he asked me to pick out some recipes I liked. So I ploughed through my Bon Appetite, Cooking Light, etc. magazines.

I had serious doubts..simply because he became quite sick for 8 days with flu.

But the surprise was:
*appetizer of basil, pine nut pesto on slices of baguette rounds.
*rice paper rolls with veggies inside, with a tomato vinegarette dip
*lettuce and arugula salad with light oil, sesame seed and coriander seed dressing
*pasta packets with baby shrimp and escargots in a butter sauce. (Wow. He had the escargots. It was a good fit)
*seafood Spanish paella with saffron jumbo shrimp, mussels, buffalo sausage (his creative touch), peas, etc. Amazingly the recipe also called for proscuitto in this melange. He threw in some white wine in at end. Very delish!
*bought raspberry mousse cake with passionfruit gelee filling.
*pear wine (which both of us bought at a vineyeard last summer. It was ok.)

I went to bed...with my stomach huring.

#106248 - 02/03/07 08:59 PM Re: 6 course birthday dinner-homemade almost=restau. [Re: orchid]
orchid Offline

Oh yea, he did want to serve a fresh cactus pear and blood orange slices in between.

Believe me we enjoyed more paelle, cake and this fruit the next day. These were my suppers at home for 2 days.

#106249 - 02/04/07 01:02 AM Re: 6 course birthday dinner-homemade almost=restau. [Re: orchid]
Dee Offline

Loc: Alabama
My gosh...what a keeper. Will you send him here for my birthday? I love escargot

#106250 - 02/04/07 03:08 AM Re: 6 course birthday dinner-homemade almost=restau. [Re: Dee]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
All the men I find either want to go out or have ME cook them dinner. The ones who want to go out are cheap creeps too, Dennys anyone?

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#106251 - 02/04/07 03:36 AM Re: 6 course birthday dinner-homemade almost=restau. [Re: chatty lady]
chickadee Offline

Loc: Alabama

Happy Belated orchid!

What an impressive menu. And an impressive mate too.

chick

#106252 - 02/04/07 03:58 AM Re: 6 course birthday dinner-homemade almost=restau. [Re: chickadee]
orchid Offline

thx chickadee. I remembered more of the dinner, than the passing of years. Must have been 4,000 calories that evening. Seriously.

#106253 - 02/04/07 10:29 AM Re: 6 course birthday dinner-homemade almost=restau. [Re: orchid]
celtic_flame Offline

Loc: Belfast/Northern Ireland
id rember that dinner too sounds great and like you reallly enjoyed it. happy birthday and manny more good special dinners to boot....oh and of course the days in between...

do you cook special dinners too?

celtic_flame

#106254 - 02/04/07 02:23 PM Re: 6 course birthday dinner-homemade almost=restau. [Re: celtic_flame]
TVC15 Offline

Loc: North Carolina
Happy Belated Birthday Orchid.
Sounds to me like you had a great one!

#106255 - 02/04/07 02:34 PM Re: 6 course birthday dinner-homemade almost=restau. [Re: TVC15]
Anno Offline

Loc: Minneapolis Minnesota
Happy Birthday. Lucky you, a guy that is a good cook. And it sounds like he enjoys it too. Glad he got over his flu in time for the festivities.

#106256 - 02/04/07 07:12 PM Re: 6 course birthday dinner-homemade almost=restau. [Re: Anno]
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
Gosh, can I borrow him for my birthday? What a great guy you have!

Boomer Queen of Shoes

#106257 - 02/04/07 07:39 PM Re: 6 course birthday dinner-homemade almost=restau. [Re: Dianne]
Edelweiss Offline

Loc: American living in Europe
What a finger-licking good menu! If I had eaten all that, I'd probably be dead...but what a way to gooo!
Happy belated birthday orchid. Sounds like you have a super sweet hubby.

#106258 - 02/04/07 09:39 PM Re: 6 course birthday dinner-homemade almost=restau. [Re: Edelweiss]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
orchid, how cool is that? You must have felt so loved. I love a man who can cook and delights in it.

#106259 - 02/04/07 10:39 PM Re: 6 course birthday dinner-homemade almost=restau.
orchid Offline

Yes, well he does like to experiment with food when he feels like it. If a guy starts talking about in great, accurate detail HOW his mother prepared certain dishes and that he does certain dishes himself, you know he wasn't just a mama's boy, but a boy who watched and helped his mother when he was growing up.

His mother is from a family of pastry chef and inn-vineyard owner in Germany since 1700's. So my partner has a right to be a food /pastry snob. She is a wealth of old German fine pastry chef recipes...in her head. We cannot find English language cookbooks that cover this knowledge. It is a version of cooking that blends a bit of French cooking since his family is from near the French border.

And my partner is proud that his son an aspiring chef in a restaurant, who will carry on this family interest into the future. It is pleasure to watch a 90+ grandmother teaching her 25 yr. grandson how to make dumpfnudel, a german steamed white bun.....actually similiar to Chinese steamed buns.

#106260 - 02/05/07 12:29 AM Re: 6 course birthday dinner-homemade almost=restau. [Re: orchid]
klmr13 Offline

Loc: Stars Hollow
Orchid...Might you gently suggest that your mother-in-law let you (or someone) write down the recipes that are in her head? I am so happy that I did just that with some of my mother's recipes...and still, there were others that she took with her when she passed. We always feel that they'll be "here forever".

#106261 - 02/05/07 03:57 AM Re: 6 course birthday dinner-homemade almost=restau. [Re: Dianne]
gims Offline

Loc: USA
What a MAN!

#106262 - 02/05/07 07:35 AM Re: 6 course birthday dinner-homemade almost=resta [Re: Dianne]
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
What an elegant dinner! Happy belated birthday, Orchid. P.S. -- if you want any cactus pears in July-August, I get 100s of them. Not sure where they're in season now.

Poet and essayist

#106263 - 02/05/07 07:38 AM Re: 6 course birthday dinner-homemade almost=resta [Re: meredithbead]
diamond50 Offline

Loc: Honolulu, Hawaii
Happy Birthday, Orchid!

#106264 - 02/05/07 09:46 PM Re: 6 course birthday dinner-homemade almost=resta [Re: diamond50]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
He must be so proud of his son. That is so meat.

My oldest son loves to cook. I love talking food with him. I'm a family cook. He's a gourmet.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved