The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 93 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#105500 - 01/30/07 05:58 AM Come on what do you carry in that purse?
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
I continue to be amazed by some women who carry a large purse. I don't mean just a tote for a book. Obviously they are probably more organized and ready for anything unpredictable.

Everyday purse is a black leather purse that I carry around like a smallish sleek knapsack. It has no outside pockets nor flap for any thief to unzip/unbuckle behind my back. Just right size to carry:
wallet, 1 lipstick, hairbrush, sometimes foundation, keys, sometimes a paperback book, pen, somtimes kleenex, and 1/2 time, I've printed off and folded a short draft document that I've drafted at work that I want to take along and ponder over while commuting/over weekend. That's nearly all that can fit in my purse.

Yes, true, I do not carry around a cellphone nor little phone book for self. Do not own a cellphone nor do I have a need to phone people suddenly while in transit. Some years used to carry a 4x6 appointment book. Right now, not a need to.

My evening purse, is an elegant black smaller handbag purse, so small only for wallet, tiny makeup and brush. Small enough, I can hold it elegantly while holding a glass of wine and plate of food in other. I have stuffed this purse in my bike pannier when I went on business trip but also went on vacation immediately next few days.

Carpetbag-like purses do not appeal me for any occasion.

#105501 - 01/30/07 06:40 AM Re: Come on what do you carry in that purse? [Re: orchid]
Lola Offline

Loc: London UK
I still work full time and carry two bags. A tote and a shoulder bag plus a laptop. On days when I have to bring home work, I also lug around a wheeled pilot bag and pack my tote and laptop with the files in it.

My shoulder bag contains:

a small makeup kit
two combs
spare eyeglasses
a coin purse
billfold
a small address book
three sets of keys (home, office, car)
asthma inhaler
two cellphones
three hankies
two dual pack of soluble paracetamols
sweets
season travel ticket
my passport

In this country, we don't have to have our driver's licence on us. So, that stays at home.

My tote:

umbrella
gloves and scarf (if I'm not wearing them)
bottled water
diary
pencil case
spare pantyhose (if I happen to wear a skirt)
a book
grandmother's bragbook

#105502 - 01/30/07 07:52 AM Re: Come on what do you carry in that purse? [Re: Lola]
Edelweiss Offline

Loc: American living in Europe
I'm just so glad I don't need to carry those tampons anymore

#105503 - 01/30/07 10:26 AM Re: Come on what do you carry in that purse? [Re: Edelweiss]
Anno Offline

Loc: Minneapolis Minnesota
Cracking me up again, Hannelore.

I have both big and smaller bags and fill them to the max no matter which one I use.

In mine, always:
a wallet with a bit of cash and plastic and license
a lipstick
a pen
keys
change rolling around the bottom
cellphone

Sometimes:
dollar bills crumbled up because I am too lazy to put them in the wallet
more change rolling around the bottom
foundation
a book
camera until I get a new phone with one
3x5 cards
notebook

I also carry a laptop bag when I am working and that contains the laptop, more pens, notebooks and folders. And sometimes, more change rolling around the bottom. Oh, and at times some fruit for a snack.

#105504 - 01/30/07 01:25 PM Re: Come on what do you carry in that purse? [Re: Anno]
TVC15 Offline

Loc: North Carolina
Pretty much the usual but I also have a bunch of balled up receipts, loose tic tacs, plastic water bottle caps, unused keychains, pens without ink, empty wrappers, um, now that I'm thinking about it, I really need to clean out my purse...

#105505 - 01/30/07 01:55 PM Re: Come on what do you carry in that purse? [Re: TVC15]
Dancing Dolphin Offline

Loc: Southern California
I pretty much use one basic black backpack purse - so convenient when I'm shopping and can have both hands free without worrying someone will take it out of my cart.

Inside:

wallet (sometimes even has money!)
brush
lipstick
cell phone
pads (Hanelore, I'm not done yet -dang it!)
keys
gum
eyeglass cleaners
little pack of kleenex
mini-calendar (I prefer paper over digital)
stray coupons, receipts, etc
loose change on the bottom (no wonder it's heavy!)

I'll change to a nicer purse when I go somewhere that warrants it, but that's not very often. I find it a hassle to change back and forth between purses.

#105506 - 01/30/07 07:33 PM Re: Come on what do you carry in that purse? [Re: Dancing Dolphin]
diamond50 Offline

Loc: Honolulu, Hawaii
I use a LeSportsac purse with the usual items in it plus....

dental floss
some make up
6-hour voice recorder
a Sharpie pen and regular pens
small memo pad
Swiss knife with everything LOL
a Zone bar

#105507 - 01/30/07 10:22 PM Re: Come on what do you carry in that purse? [Re: diamond50]
Poppie Offline

Loc: London
It depends on which bag I have chosen for the occaision, season.
My all rounder holds
Purse(with cards, money, photo's, Robert and Luciens birth tags)
Mobile
House Keys
Pocket hankies
Smokes and Lighter(I know, I know...after the wedding!!!)
MP3 player and usually a small number of cds
Lip balm
Perfume
Brush
An assortment of pens(and my 'good' fountain pen..in case I get the need to write poetry and/or love letter..well, you cannot use any old pen)
Address book-small diary.
Mostly, a poetry book
Inhalors for asthma!!
Lippie
Umberdoodle.
A toy of some description..for the ba!!!

My....thats an awful lot...the two all rounder type bags I have are not even that big!

Popea
''Perhaps all the dragons in our lives are princesses who are only waiting to see us act, just once, with beauty and courage. Perhaps everything that frightens us is, in its deepest essence, something helpless that wants our love

#105508 - 01/30/07 10:46 PM Re: Come on what do you carry in that purse? [Re: Poppie]
chickadee Offline

Loc: Alabama
No purse here. License and ATM card in back pocket. Car key in front pocket. Now, ask me what's in my car and you'll get a different answer. My car IS my purse, ha ha.

An Umberdoodle? Is that an inside out umbrella.

chick

#105509 - 01/31/07 04:02 AM Re: Come on what do you carry in that purse? [Re: chickadee]
Anno Offline

Loc: Minneapolis Minnesota
And a Lippie? What is that?

#105510 - 01/31/07 12:29 PM Re: Come on what do you carry in that purse? [Re: Anno]
Poppie Offline

Loc: London
A lipstick Anno...what did you think it was???

Po
''Perhaps all the dragons in our lives are princesses who are only waiting to see us act, just once, with beauty and courage. Perhaps everything that frightens us is, in its deepest essence, something helpless that wants our love

#105511 - 02/02/07 02:21 AM Re: Come on what do you carry in that purse? [Re: Poppie]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Nothing exciting in my purse. Just more of the same you gals lug around.

#105512 - 02/02/07 05:09 AM Re: Come on what do you carry in that purse?
Dee Offline

Goodness Lola...how in the world do you do that?

My purse isn't exciting either. I did find a way to find my keys easily. A neon-orange fishing float...not very stylish but I can spot that sucker almost in the dark. It works! Found it in the sports department in Wal-Mart. It works so well my in-laws have started buying them.

#105513 - 02/26/07 05:53 AM Re: Come on what do you carry in that purse? [Re: Dee]
NewLeaf Offline

Loc: Deland, Florida
cell phone
portable office
calculator
two lipsticks
brush
appointment with the spa
billfold (full)(not with money)
two prescriptions
pens
change in the bottom
Skittles
keys
calendar
pocket knife
tape measure
mace
glasses
thong panties
perfume
gum
Advil
peanut butter cookies
hair clip
ID badge
file
checkbook

#105514 - 02/26/07 06:19 AM Re: Come on what do you carry in that purse? [Re: NewLeaf]
chickadee Offline

Newleaf, I'm not going to ask how big your suitcase...ah, purse is. I'd be afraid I'd pull ot my thong panties instead of the mace. Come to think of it, that might work...for me anyways.

chick

#105515 - 02/26/07 11:43 PM Re: Come on what do you carry in that purse? [Re: chickadee]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
chick, you're a riot.

I bet NL has Skittles for the grandkids. Am I right?

#105516 - 02/27/07 06:13 AM Re: Come on what do you carry in that purse?
NewLeaf Offline

Yep, Skittles are chewy and in church the chewier the better (keeps them quiet)...

The thongs double as a sling shot,,,I just shoot the mace at them and knock them out.LOL

#105517 - 02/27/07 04:57 PM Re: Come on what do you carry in that purse? [Re: Anno]
Sadie Offline

Loc: MD
Well, you girls are too much . I am not telling what I carry in my handbag for I am not sure only what all I do carry . I know a wallet and car keys I know for sure . The rest is history . My daughter told ne as we were shopping for hand bags one day , "Mom You use to carry a large hand bag and now it is getting smaller and smaller " I carry less and less these days . Dayos the the old check book are gone with the use of check cards (for which I love ). Even my dress bags are small . How 's that !

Blessings,

#105518 - 02/28/07 02:55 AM Re: Come on what do you carry in that purse? [Re: Sadie]
chickadee Offline

Renee, I am glad the check book is gone. I hated trying to remember what I wrote them for and how much I had spent. Now I can look online and know immediately.

Do you remember the wooden purses with the fancy designs on them? Do you have any of those?

chick

#105519 - 02/28/07 03:23 AM Re: Come on what do you carry in that purse? [Re: chickadee]
NewLeaf Offline

Good job, Renee.

I noticed today that it seems my arms are constantly loaded down with "stuff". I carry a thermos of coffee to work, a leather jacket in case they try to turn us into peoplepops, my "suitcase" loaded to the hilt, my Jethro Bodine lunch, books, crosswords and notebooks so I won't get bored, and at least one more drink (one never knows when they will be thirsty).

I do this every night, 5 nights a week...my knuckles are starting to drag the ground and I've developed this awful aching between my shoulder blades. They won't let us carry a backpack so I'm walking into work juggling all this "stuff" and dropping it everywhere.

How do you do it, Renee?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved