The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 127 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#105220 - 01/28/07 02:12 AM $15.00 for food provides..& cellphone check?
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
I never bother to check with my partner when I buy groceries on my own. It's just 2 of us and I know what he tends to buy..

So this list of groceries required no advance cellphone check with him in the grocery store (since no cellphone anyway ), when I spent $15.00 today and got:

*1 long white Daikon radish (this wk's sale. Feeds about 6 people for a dish of something.)
*1 bag of fresh Shanghai bok choy (enough to feed 8 people)
*1 fresh Dragonfruit (this wk's. sale)
*3 roma tomatoes
*1 pkg. of freshly made wheat Shanghai noodles (enough to feed 4 people)
*1 large grapefruit (for me. he doesn't eat it)
*1 freshly steamed pork jumbo Chinese bun
*1 medium sized fresh pineapple (this wk.'s sale)
*3 oranges.

I spent 1/4 of our weekly food kitty. Oh well..

How would $15.00 of food look for you?

#105221 - 01/28/07 12:17 PM Re: $15.00 for food provides..& cellphone check? [Re: orchid]
Lola Offline

Loc: London UK
Hi, Orchid: Based on almost same food items? US dollar to GBP, that'll be £7.50 shopping money. If I traipse to the local Chinese wholesalers', I'd be able to purchase:

£2.95 1 pack of 18-pc pork/prawn dumplings
£4.00 a pack of Chinese greens (choi sum?)

I'll steam the dumplings, blanch the greens served with a splashing of oyster sauce. For dessert, I will buy Haw flakes or a can of glass jelly drink with the change.

Gosh, maybe I should just go to yours for dinner.

#105222 - 01/28/07 03:21 PM Re: $15.00 for food provides..& cellphone check? [Re: Lola]
Dancing Dolphin Offline

Loc: Southern California
Okay you healthy eaters, here's one from mainstream America. (Remember, I have a teenage son!)

1 Box of Cheddar Jack Cheezitz (2.00 on sale)
1 Gallon of Dryer's Cookie Dough Ice Cream (3.50 on sale)
1 Pound Ground Beef (for tacos! $2.00)
1 Package Taco Shells (.99 on sale)
1 Can of Refried Beans (.89 on sale)
1 Head of Lettuce (1.29)
1 Tomato (.90)
1 Bag of Purple Grapes (2.00)
1 Box of Frosted Wheat Puffs Cereal (2.00 on sale)

Cereal for breakfast and snacks, grapes, crackers and ice cream for snacks, tacos for dinner with leftover burritos for lunch the next day.

Feeds one teenage boy for about 24 hours. Aaacckk!!

Kathy

#105223 - 01/28/07 03:41 PM Re: $15.00 for food provides..& cellphone check? [Re: Dancing Dolphin]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Kathy, that looks like what I was buying last year. Could have been my grocery list. Only thing is, your grapes are cheaper.

Now that I'm shopping for just the two of us, I don't buy the first four on your list, not the last one. Funny how things changed in one year.

orchid, what is a steamed pork jumbo Chinese bun?

#105224 - 01/28/07 04:53 PM Re: $15.00 for food provides..& cellphone check? [Re: Lola]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
Quote:

Based on almost same food items? US dollar to GBP, that'll be £7.50 shopping money. If I traipse to the local Chinese wholesalers', I'd be able to purchase:

£2.95 1 pack of 18-pc pork/prawn dumplings
£4.00 a pack of Chinese greens (choi sum?)

I'll steam the dumplings, blanch the greens served with a splashing of oyster sauce. For dessert, I will buy Haw flakes or a can of glass jelly drink with the change.

Gosh, maybe I should just go to yours for dinner.

Lola, I'm impressed that you even try jelly grass drink. Jelly grass...really folks is like eating jello..wobbly. I haven't tried jelly grass drink yet. It's more of the flavouring I suspect.

Geez, some foods in U.K. just look more expensive (never mind the currency conversions). That same packet of choi sum probably would be here around, $3.00 ....Canadian.

To Dotsie: the jumbo pork steamed bun, is made of white flour, water and I'm not-sure-what, filled with meat or veggie) and steamed to cook. My mother makes such buns. Other people might be more familiar with fillings of Chinese barbecued pork. The one I buy, has hard-boiled quail's egg inside with the pork. Well, for $1.50CAN it's a cheap lunch treat on the run.

Do we buy processed food groceries? Sometimes... pickles, sauerkraut, jar of hoisin sauce, vegetable broth soup powder, etc.

My partner (who is of German descent) and I live in middle-class Canada. We're part of mainstream as well. If you lived in Vancouver, you will discover over 300 sushi restaurants and take-outs. I'm serious..it is norm here.

#105225 - 01/29/07 01:02 AM Re: $15.00 for food provides..& cellphone check? [Re: orchid]
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
We just got back from Trader Joe's and spent ~$40, $12 of which is in raw nuts.

We pour the grass jelly drink into a tall glass and add soy milk for dessert. I don't have it that often, though.

Poet and essayist

#105226 - 01/29/07 02:17 PM Re: $15.00 for food provides..& cellphone check? [Re: meredithbead]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Meredith, I love Trader Joe's. We have one within walking distnace. Do thye have grass jelly drink? I've never heard of it. It must be healthy!

#105227 - 01/30/07 05:45 AM Re: $15.00 for food provides..& cellphone check?
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
Dotsie, I mentioned the grass jelly drink because Lola did I buy it when we go to the Chinese grocery store, 99 Ranch Market. Trader Joe's doesn't stock it.

Poet and essayist

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved