The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 196 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#105180 - 01/27/07 05:10 PM High school reunions or avoidances
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
I only went to 1....hehe...only 2 years after I finished there.

Last year I heard there was a major reunion..big enough that the whole city geared up for over...2,000 alumni. No, I never went. But heard all about it and saw photos from a close friend. Of those who I graduated from high school...over 28 years ago.

That was good enough. Anyway I live over 4,000 kms. away. But then heard people who did fly same distance to be at this event.

High school was ok, but those teen years were sometimes painful. the best years of my life so far, have been from my late twenties (after university)...onward to now.

#105181 - 01/27/07 05:27 PM Re: High school reunions or avoidances [Re: orchid]
Anonymous
Unregistered

I attended HS in the Netherlands with only 20 seniors in our graduating class in 1984. Although there have been reunions stateside, I'm usually on the opposite of the continent and never participated, now the reunions have dissipated. I have contacted my 'first love' from HS, he is married to 2nd wife and they have a child. Yet, he is not the same person I knew during HS. Funny how life changes us, or we change due to life's experiences!

#105182 - 01/27/07 06:07 PM Re: High school reunions or avoidances [Re: ]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
My high school class was approx. 167 seniors which is very large for a small town like mine. We've had reunions every five years and I've never missed one yet. In fact, I've been on planning committees each time. It's such fun.

Our class has such a good time that word travels fast. The other graduating classes have come to ours (crashed them) and have begged us to open it up to them. So last year we did. I've known some people who stopped having their own and just make plans to attend ours.

It last three days and is one heck of a party. You might say, "What happens at our reunions, stays at our reunions." Only it doesn't really. We have video taped them, and have pictures galore.

We're gearing up to plan for our next reunion, which will be actually happen in the fall of 2008. It's celebrated as our 40th reunion, even though it will fall in the year prior to it being 40 years. Reason is so we can make sure we collect what we need to for the scholarship fund for 2009, and so we can be in the HOMECOMING parade which is honored the fall prior to the graduating year.

We've lost about six classmates, but other than that, everyone is alive and well, mostly retired.

When we have the dance, which is always on the Saturday night, the DJ begs up to please go home about 2 or 3 in the morning.

Also, my room is grand central station. We always arrive early on Friday and everyone meets in the hospitality room and hugs, hugs, hugs....I love it. Then we usually have golf tournaments, tours of the high school, picnics, swimming, and of course, a show-n-tell of grandchildren pictures. That's Friday and Saturday, during the day.

Then Saturday night, the dance....

Sunday is breakfast together and tears as we depart.

I love my classmates. All of them. They are precious people and we grew up together in a wonderful time.

#105183 - 01/27/07 08:57 PM Re: High school reunions or avoidances [Re: orchid]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
After hearing the updates via friend, I figured I was right..I would not have much in common with these folks that I knew from long ago, to sustain a spirited, deep conversation after 2 hrs.

Separately I was in contact with my first love in HS, more like a crush. Yes, he is now different in personality ..but then, I have changed much from the girl he knew long ago. We probably could still have a good chat, and he seemed interested to remain in contact. But I put a stop to it. Past is ...really past.

The high school was a signature, historic event because the HS was celebrating its 150th birthday ...the school's history is an integral part of the city's history: originally a German-Canadian Mennonite area in Ontario. I did grow up in an interesting area that later, I realized, was NOT typical of all Canadian towns/cities.

Though the school of 2,000 students during my time had less than 20 Asians and blacks in total (some of them were my siblings!), it did help non-white students, that at least the ethnic mix was not just Anglo-white, but lots of kids with German background.

#105184 - 01/28/07 02:33 AM Re: High school reunions or avoidances [Re: orchid]
klmr13 Offline

Loc: Stars Hollow
We had a 10 yr. reunion for starters...and then have had one every five years, except for this last time. We're gearing up for a biggy (gulp...40!) in 2008, which will be when my son has his 10 yr. reunion! And the beat goes on...

I will say that I've had a lovely time at each reunion. It's been my experience that even the people who thought they were "somethin" back in high school have mellowed and are more down to earth.

We even have a tiny group of classmates that gets together every Saturday after Thanksgiving for a luncheon at a local restaurant. Three people and I go back as far as elementary school! The others who attend are from two neighboring towns - our high school combined students from three towns. We had a graduating class of 300+ students.

#105185 - 01/28/07 03:01 AM Re: High school reunions or avoidances [Re: klmr13]
Sadie Offline

Loc: MD
Well, I just had my 40th High School reunion this past October and we had a DJ and a lovely luncheon and door prizes and a 50-50 raffel . We were a large class of 800 that graduated that year and it was hard to get to know everyone . I did find that being chairman of the reunions committee it gave me lots of time to meet new friends and find some old friends that I had not seen in years and made contact with . there is a web site if that Okay with Dotsie that you can fine old classmates www.classmates.com

I went to an all girls high school at that time in the 60's which was unsual for a city high school . It was not a private school . There is even a book written about this high school . There was a all boys high school across the campus from us . Did we dare venture some of us did .

Good times ,

Blessings

Edited by Renee (01/28/07 03:11 AM)

#105186 - 01/28/07 11:59 AM Re: High school reunions or avoidances [Re: Sadie]
Lola Offline

Loc: London UK
I have attended a grand alumnae homecoming only once since I left school but manage to keep in touch with many of the girls. A few I see more often than the others and in that way, we have a reunion of some sort. Some of the girls, although very rarely visited, still bear friendships and familiarity from when we were in school. Technology has made it easier to keep track of everyone and I am still in regular correspondence with my former teachers. Most of the nuns are in their mid-80's now. Some are frail and ailing but there are a few who are still sprightly and quite abreast with technology with e-mails to everyone on a regular basis with a round robin letter.

There is no great distinction between the girls of my old schools in terms of "Class of...". Some classes at that time only had 7 to 12 girls on the average. So friendships were across the board. We refer to each other as schoolmates rather than classmates as, apart from day to day lessons, we have shared experiences which comprise a bigger bulk of our school life. When we get together and reminisce about school, most often, the talk centers on teachers. Many continued to be sought as mentors long after the girls left school.

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved