The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 166 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#105167 - 01/27/07 03:39 PM Any Quilters?
Laurel Offline

Loc: Oklahoma, USA
I'm a quilter and wondered if there were any others on this forum who quilt.

I do it the old fashioned way by hand. I machine piece but the quilting I do by hand. Right now I'm working on a double wedding ring quilt in solids with a red background. My oldest son is getting pretty serious with his girlfriend and he's hinted at marriage so I am making this quilt for him if he gets married. It takes me forever to make one so I thought I better get started now. I can always put it away and save it for when he does get married.

#105168 - 01/27/07 05:22 PM Re: Any Quilters? [Re: Laurel]
gims Offline

Loc: USA
Laurel,
I have my wedding dress, along with both of my girls', in storage. With them I have some other special occasion dresses, all connected to a special time in our lives. I've been wanting to make 3 quilts, using all of the dresses, to give to our 3 granddaughters. I'm afraid to start taking the wedding gowns apart in fear of not having enough material for 3 whole quilts. I can't think of how to add to the material without buying more, which would take away from the keepsake character of the quilts, in my thinking. These thoughts came out all barbled, but I hope you know what I'm saying. Any suggestions? I've only made a baby quilt and it was with a machine - way back when. I want to do this by hand. I've even acquired an old fashion quilting stand.
Your suggestion might be to find a quilter and have them give me a quote....right?

#105169 - 01/27/07 09:11 PM Re: Any Quilters? [Re: gims]
Laurel Offline

Have you ever made a quilt before?

I think keeping the dresses as they are would be special for future generations.

If you decide to do it; a complimenting fabric in the same type of material would set it off.

#105170 - 01/30/07 04:00 AM Re: Any Quilters? [Re: Laurel]
Dee Offline

Loc: Alabama
Laurel...how wonderful. I envey your patience to do something like that. I've always wanted to quilt and even bought several books on the subject, but when I go into the store there's all these things you have to buy and it looks like it could get expensive. I have a couple of old photos of my grandmother quilting with her ladies group from church. I always thought it would be neat to make wall-hanging sized quilts. Do you do any of those? Any pictures of projects you'd like to share?

#105171 - 02/01/07 04:09 PM Re: Any Quilters? [Re: Dee]
Laurel Offline

Yes, I've made a few wallhangings. That's a great way to start. Baby quilts are another good small project. They don't take up so much room and are easier to work with.

I have pictures but most are snap shots and not on my digital camera. I'll take some and try to post them here. Lola gave me instructions on another thread how to do that.

Laurel

#105172 - 02/01/07 04:25 PM Re: Any Quilters? [Re: Laurel]
Dee Offline

Loc: Alabama
Do you have any special equipment? I have a sewing machine and that's it. Would that be sufficient to do simple quilting? I love to see what you've done.

#105173 - 02/02/07 08:19 PM Re: Any Quilters? [Re: Dee]
Laurel Offline

You know they try to sell you all kinds of fancy expensive gadgets and many of them are helpful, but when you first start out I wouldn't invest in too much. Especially until you see if it's something you enjoy doing.

I do have a lot of paraphernalia I've accumulated. Years ago though, I just had the basic sewing tools; sewing machine, scissors, thread, thimble, needles, etc. I'd say the most useful of my tools is my rotary cutter and mat. If you have a Hancock's fabrics store they run half off sales on tools every so often.

They will tell you the smaller the needle the smaller the stitch (hand quilting) but I make the same size stitch no matter what size needle I use. I've started buying larger needles because my eyes don't see as well as they used to and their easier to thread.

Laurel

#105174 - 02/10/07 02:44 PM I know 1...Re: Any Quilters? [Re: Laurel]
jabber Offline

Loc: New York State
Laurel,
Bonnierae makes quilts. On one of the other forums, I think, she said she made 18, prior to Christmas one year.

#105175 - 02/15/07 12:46 AM I know 1...Re: Any Quilters? [Re: jabber]
Louisa Offline

Loc: MA
I'm not much on sewing. I used to sew when I was young, but now I hate to even sew on a button. My sister-in-law does beautiful quilts. I once made a quilt for my son. I did it on my sewing machine. I got tired of it, so it never fot to the full size I intended. It had big red, white and blue squares. He used to use it all the time. I remember how he used to wrap it around him in the chair and watch tv. As he got older and taller, it didn't fit around him anymore, but he still used it, even when it lost some of its stuffing and had lost a few squares. I guess I must have finally had to throw it out.

I saved both my kids' Christening outfits. My daughter had them. Her dress is in perfect condition, but his suit had stains on it and she says we need to toss it. But, she is going to Christen Katie in her dress. Got rid of my wedding gown years ago.

#105176 - 02/15/07 08:00 AM I know 1...Re: Any Quilters? [Re: Louisa]
DebShines Offline

Loc: Brisbane Australia
I love quilting, and find just the mix of fabrics gorgeous. The best thing I find is my quarter inch foot as that makes machine piecing much more accurate now that my eyes belong to a 46 year old with a 20 year old mind!!!!
I still have my wedding dress from 25 years ago. We dont have much family history or hand me downs and I am saving some things like my wedding dress for the future generations.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved