The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 174 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 20 1 2 3 ... 19 20 >
Topic Options
#104655 - 01/25/07 01:27 PM Update on my Brother
Eagle Heart Offline

Loc: Canada
I can't get online much these days - spending most of my time either at the hospital or troubleshooting my brother's Internet connection, which only works for a few hours in the morning, which is when we're usually at the hospital...

Anyway, yesterday my brother went in for blood work and his white blood count was so good that they decided to harvest his stem cells. So he was hooked up to this nifty machine for 8 hours and they were able to get all the stem cells they needed in that one session (they had anticipated that it would take 2 or 3 harvest sessions). That was really good news.

Now he gets to rest for a couple of weeks. The earliest they could do another chemo and/or the transplant will be mid-February. We'll know after next week's CAT scan if he needs another chemo or if they'll go straight to the transplant procedure. If so, he'll be hospitalized for 4-6 weeks, which will also give me a much-needed break (I haven't been able to get home for more than a couple of hours at a time in the past month).

So I just thought I'd share this good/promising news. It's wonderful news, actually. This autologous transplant procedure is extremely dangerous (we'll need your prayers when the time comes) but also very promising, and has had amazing results in advanced-stage lymphoma. So we're very hopeful that there's a light at the end of this tunnel...

If I'm not on board here much lately, especially in the evenings, know that I'm sitting here at the computer, night after night, trying everything possible to get that connection working! My brother is switching to a cable bundle tomorrow (Internet, phone and TV) and we're hoping that will resolve this problem. My brother sleeps most of the time, so it's been extremely frustrating sitting here day after day unable to connect and chat with my sisters when I most need to be able to! Hopefully there's a light at the end of THAT tunnel too.

Anyway, just thought I'd post this update while I'm able to be online! I think of all of you ALL THE TIME (and believe me, I have lots of downtime, either in the hospital or here at the computer, to do a lot of thinking and praying!) I'm very warmly cocooned in the Lord's presence these days, and have no doubt that your prayers are responsible for this gentle but powerful spiritual serenity that keeps me going.

Edited by Eagle Heart (01/25/07 01:28 PM)

(Maya Angelou)

#104656 - 01/25/07 03:18 PM Re: Update on my Brother [Re: Eagle Heart]
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
This is such wonderful news. We've missed you terribly. Gods Speed to both of you.

Boomer Queen of Shoes

#104657 - 01/25/07 07:11 PM Re: Update on my Brother [Re: Eagle Heart]
klmr13 Offline

Loc: Stars Hollow
Eagle, I am so encouraged to hear your news! Always know that just as you are thinking of us, we are thinking of you and your brother too!
When the time comes for the transplant, and you need us to switch our prayers on to "SUPER INTENSE", please know we will!

Please try to be kind to yourself...

#104658 - 01/25/07 07:13 PM Re: Update on my Brother [Re: Dianne]
gims Offline

Loc: USA
Quote:

This autologous transplant procedure is extremely dangerous (we'll need your prayers when the time comes)

The time HAS come. I'll be praying that there will be no need of the procedure, while I believe, with you, that whatever does take place will be in the Lord's capable hands.

#104659 - 01/25/07 09:05 PM Re: Update on my Brother [Re: gims]
Edelweiss Offline

Loc: American living in Europe
I noticed you being more rare around here Eagle Heart. Sure have missed you. Gonna include your brother in my night prayer.

#104660 - 01/25/07 11:33 PM Re: Update on my Brother [Re: Edelweiss]
Anno Offline

Loc: Minneapolis Minnesota
Very good news, Eagle. I am so happy for your brother and for you. You have been on my mind so much lately. Your brother is so lucky to have you in his life. You are a marvel.

#104661 - 01/26/07 12:03 AM Re: Update on my Brother [Re: Anno]
Dancing Dolphin Offline

Loc: Southern California
Even when you can't get connected online, please know that you are still connected to all of our hearts. We're here for you and your brother, EagleHeart....

Kathy

#104662 - 01/26/07 02:36 AM Re: Update on my Brother [Re: Dancing Dolphin]
Eagle Heart Offline

Loc: Canada
Thank you everyone for your lovely, heart-warming words!!! And what a miracle here tonight - it's 9:30pm and my brother's Internet connection is working! It stopped working shortly after noon today, so I figured it was finished for the day. But just before heading to bed, I thought I'd give it one more try - and here I am!! And wouldn't you know it, the one night that it's working, I'm too tired to stay very long.

Just a wee note of concern...I've been having fairly disturbing dizzy spells today (VERY unusual for me, even when I'm sick, which is very rare lately) and some tightness in the back of my left shoulder. I walked across the parking lot to the little mall and checked my blood pressure at the pharmacy - 165/90! That might not sound high, but my bp has rarely if ever gone over 115/60, even after a brisk walk. So I waited a few minutes, 2nd reading was 154/88. I was scared and started crying. The pharmacist (thank God for his caring patience!) sat with me for 10 minutes and we did another reading, 144/86. Still very high for me, but the pharmacist didn't think it was dangerous, but encouraged me to see my doctor to start monitoring it over the next few weeks. That's very hard to do right now, since my brother's in such a critical stage right now and in need of fairly constant help. But I'm going to call tomorrow and make an appointment for next week.

Still a bit dizzy now and then, and that tightness is still there, and I'm very fatigued today, but hopefully it's just stress, though I've been far more stressed out than this and it's never shown in my bp before.

Anyway, let's hope it's nothing more than an off day!

(Maya Angelou)

#104663 - 01/26/07 03:35 AM Re: Update on my Brother [Re: Eagle Heart]
Dancing Dolphin Offline

Loc: Southern California
Eagle, please see a doctor immediately! You have just described all the symptoms of a heart attack - dizziness, fatigue, tightness in back/chest/etc. Please, please go get checked out, and have them check your blood levels and do a few heart tests, okay?

My accountant, who's 55, had your same sypmtoms except she had tightness in her neck. It never occurred to her that she was having a heart attack, but she was. All is well now, but her doctor said if she hadn't had it checked she could have died.

Please, please go first thing in the morning! Or even tonight if you can.
Kathy

#104664 - 01/26/07 03:43 AM Re: Update on my Brother [Re: Dancing Dolphin]
Jane_Carroll Offline

Loc: Alabama
Kathy is right...good news for your brohter...but please take care of you...we all love you

Page 1 of 20 1 2 3 ... 19 20 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved