The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 179 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#104475 - 05/12/07 10:33 PM Re: Chambers of Commerce [Re: Jane_Carroll]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
Maybe you need to add on a 2nd business service to survive financially, that is not public speaking.

That's reality.

Or maybe you do provide a 2nd service that none of us are aware.

#104476 - 06/13/07 08:10 PM Re: Chambers of Commerce [Re: Jane_Carroll]
chocoholic Offline

Few Chambers will pay speakers and many will restrict it to members, so check to see how much a membership would cost (they often tier the fees based on the purpose of your membership).

A lot of Chambers have networking events that would be perfect for passing out your business cards and getting contacts. It's a process, yes, but networking is the key to gain people's trust that you would be a good speaker and a good draw for an event.

#104477 - 07/10/07 03:12 AM Re: Chambers of Commerce [Re: Jane_Carroll]
ElevatingYourBusiness Offline

Loc: USA
I appreciate the thoughts. I have tried the office supply stores, Costo and even did an event in Sams Club. I've talked with at least 5 banks over the past two years, too. Even did an event with Keybank and will do more in 2008.

However, I don't want to be the event planner, fundraiser, etc. I'm done with all that. I want the money as speaking is part of my business model. My past things got me very few if any good clients. I did some back of the room sales, but prefer being a paid beginner speaker at 3K per hour or 10K per day.

I have attended an NSA event, found a few speakers lists (unfortunately they're very quiet) and spoke to Lilly Walters (of speak and grow rich) recently.

I did speak at one Chamber, that will remain nameless. They were awful! They didn't have name tags (I had them in the car), they took no attendance although they took money from each of the participants and they sent me to lunch with the secretary. I'm presuming that's because neither the Chamber President or VP attended the event. People pre-resigsterd, but didn't pre-pay, so the numbers were lower then what they promised. They didn't have any of my handouts ready. When they finally printed them (30 minutes into the first talk), they did not print the evaluation forms.

Strange as all that is, I did call them prior to the event to make sure that there were doing what they said they'd do and was told that everything was being taken care of!

OH.. and they emailed me and wanted me to send them the evaluation forms and attendance list. And were so upset at me that I didn't have either that I'm not getting any testimonial. HUH?

Through it all, I made 1K in back of the room sales and have 14 new ezine subscribers (there were 26 businesses and 12 non profits in attendance). And learned that I should have a checklist of things they we agree to and have them sign the list. So I'll be creating a new checklist and add it to the packet I provide organizations.

I'm in talks with another Chamber, now, too. They'll get the new checklist!

Next week I'll be in Las Vegas at a business forum with 7 business owners... doing what I love doing ... teaching and being paid handsomely!

We help independent and fee-based financial advisors find simpler ways to grow personally and professionally.

http://www.ElevatingYourBusiness.com

#104478 - 07/10/07 07:11 PM Re: Chambers of Commerce [Re: ElevatingYourBusiness]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Go for it. Have a great week in Vegas.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved