The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 171 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#104465 - 01/24/07 07:24 PM Best Way to "Gain Access" To Chambers of Commerce?
ElevatingYourBusiness Offline

Loc: USA
1)What is the best way to contact chamber of commerce to be a speaker?

I have a list along with contact name (etc) for every Chamber of Commerce in my state. I realize that the best way to contact them, would be through a referral, but I don't have that to go on. My efforts to speak at the Chambers I am a member of, have gone on deaf ears. There are very few meetings where the topic is actually about growing a business. And locally they don't do much in the way of quarterly conferences or any special events on that subject (very strange indeed

The program I'd like to propose is on business and marketing planning -- on one page. So I know that the topic is very relevant to the chamber members I've spoken to so far. Also this is the only one of my program that I teach for free (for up to 1 hour) when I'm contacted by an organization.

Seems like I have good credibility - testimonials, have been quoted in recognized magazines, articles have been reproduced around the word

I'm wondering, if you've contacted organizations where you don't know someone, where have you started, what types of things have you pitched?

2) On this same topic. I find that many chamber won't pay you to speak at monthly meetings or even quarterly meetings. Is this pretty much try across the board? Even today, when I spoke with the Program person at a chamber, she almost had a heart attack when I suggested in kind payment OR doing an event where I'd speak at the meeting and they'd coordinate a paid event after the meeting for 3 hours. And forget about even putting a table in the room with my products! It's evident that this Chamber is not my ideal client either

We help independent and fee-based financial advisors find simpler ways to grow personally and professionally.

http://www.ElevatingYourBusiness.com

#104466 - 01/24/07 09:35 PM Re: Best Way to "Gain Access" To Chambers of Commerce? [Re: ElevatingYourBusiness]
gims Offline

1. Get a list of current CC members. Try to get to know some who might be in a similar line as you or someone who might could use your services. Have them invite you as a guest to a meeting. Possibly share a presentation (free of charge) or a portion thereof with them, and let them be your mouthpiece in the beginning - if not mouthpiece, at least a supporting agent. Our youngest daughter is in banking/finance and the CC of our county was begging her to join. She didn't have to seek out membership. She was a freelance mortgage broker while finishing her degrees, and almost everyone she did business with/for tried to get her to join both of our county's divisions. It would be advantageous for you to join your local and have it on your business card. Also, is there a community college in your area. Check them out. Ours has Lifelong Learning classes where anyone can create a class through which products and services can be promoted. I've taken some personal finance classes, a starting a business class, a website building class and a few others. Our progam is through http://www.elderhostel.org/default.asp . Might check the closest college or university to see if either offers some type of forum for you.

2. Something that is really popular around our area is the fishbowls at checkouts. Businesses put their business cards in them and once a week a card is drawn. The winning card owner receives (free, or at a discount) whatever service is being highlighted for that week's drawing. There is a bulletin next to the fishbowl with the week's sponsor's details and contact information.

#104467 - 01/25/07 12:25 AM Re: Best Way to "Gain Access" To Chambers of Commerce? [Re: gims]
Casey Offline

Loc: Aptos, California
I haven't made headway with the Chamber here, either. I know they don't pay, in general. I am a member of this chamber and I'm getting an exhibit table at a local expo. I've also put a flyer in their next mailing. So, I'm trying to become more visible. (I have products/services on managing your business systems, such as customer databases.) They have a woman in business conference once a year, too.

Good luck!

#104468 - 01/25/07 04:25 AM Re: Best Way to "Gain Access" To Chambers of Commerce? [Re: Casey]
Dancing Dolphin Offline

Loc: Southern California
Our chamber is always looking for speakers, but they won't pay for one.

Why don't you try another organization that might be more receptive? I'm a member of the National Association of Women Business Owners and they have monthly dinners/lunches with speakers. Not sure if they pay.

You might also look at starting out by not charging, and instead trying to use your talk as a time to connect, network, and show off your stuff. Then some of the audience/members might be able to refer you to other organizations that are interested.

What is your purpose for speaking? Are you trying to make money as a speaker, or are you trying to sell your service/product through your speeches?

Kathy

#104469 - 01/30/07 08:25 AM Re: Best Way to "Gain Access" To Chambers of Commerce? [Re: Dancing Dolphin]

gimster - Great idea about finding someone at the CC, however I'm not looking to speak in my area and there are 200 CC's in m state.

I don't understand how the fish bowl will get me to be a speaker at a CC. Can you explain that?

Casey: I hope you have better luck than I did with the Business Expo, etc. I'm starting to think that the best thing I can do with my list of CCs is to sell it on my site!

Kathy appreciate your note. I am a member of NAWBO but the nearest group is 6 hours away. They won't look at getting a hotel to sponsor me to take a trip out there, which I would do.

After 9 years in business, I am not a beginner in the speaking arena. Just that I've done so much for free that groups don't want to pay. OR they think they're doing me a favor buying me dinner or lunch.

I deserve to be paid to speak! The freebies I do now are very calculated I spoke for free to a group of 30, got 20 ezine subscribers and 1K in sales. I'm looking to speak and be paid and sell products and services. I can have it all! Just not through the CC's

We help independent and fee-based financial advisors find simpler ways to grow personally and professionally.

#104470 - 03/18/07 02:01 PM Re: Best Way to "Gain Access" To Chambers of Commerce? [Re: ElevatingYourBusiness]

Just wanted to send an update to this. I sent out an email to 60 Chambers that were within a "normal" driving distance from me.

A few said that they only have members speak, yet one is having a non-member speak, go figure

Three or four emailed me back that they were passing along my information to someone else. They liked that I mentioned that I'd like to be considered in case someone cancels for any reason.

It looks like I have my first speaking gig in May. This group brought my proposal to the board, who voted on it.

And I'm going to send letters out (as in mail) in May and see what happens when I do that. I'll be back to LYK what's up.

#104471 - 03/18/07 04:06 PM Re: Chambers of Commerce not always a start? [Re: ElevatingYourBusiness]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
Is this the core of your business- speaking for a fee?

I've known businesses who just don't belong to their local CC. They have actually said, it does nothing for their type of business.

Can you name a list of some businesses on your website where you have provided business consulting services..or you don't provide that?

You probably know that good business consultants do alot of networking, meaning not just attending business functions, but volunteering to be on a particular committee within a trade/professional association, publish objective business articles/studies in trade/profesional journals, etc. There's no expectation of being paid for this stuff but simply getting people know that you exist and understand which areas of business you are most expert.

This is truly where the networking occurs..when people get to understand you up close how you interact in a "free"/volunteer capacity without any money involved.

I guess I'm saying this after belonging to various national and international professional associations over the last 2 decades and seeing how the stars in my profession have built their credibility and their consulting business.

You have to become passionate not just to make money, but to give back for free to your professional community.

#104472 - 03/18/07 05:14 PM Re: Chambers of Commerce not always a start? [Re: orchid]
Casey Offline

Loc: Aptos, California
Keep talking, talking talking...:-))
I just got a paid speaking gig through a referral from another contact. Then I did pick up a free one from the business expo I went to (along with 16 new names for my email newsletter)! Then, I finally got an e-women gig in Sacramento.

So just keep putting it out there...you never know what will come through. And I agree with Orchid -- give it away -- people only ever get a portion of what you say, but they will remember your generosity.

#104473 - 05/01/07 04:43 AM Re: Chambers of Commerce [Re: Casey]

Orchid,

I realize that you don't know me, but I give and I've already given away enough for free. Generosity is a word my clients use with my name.

If there is anything that professional community should do is value advice and services -- and do what they want others to do to them --- pay up!

Speaking is a career... it's part of my business that I enjoy doing. I want to speak for a living... There is a time and place for free, 9 years of business, that time is coming to an end.

Just to get into the CC circuit, I'm doing one speaking engagement for free, at a paid event no less, in Pt Townsend Washington next month. I have asked for in-kind. Two nights in a B&B, lunch the day of the event, table in the back of the room where I can sell things. They will put a flyer in their newsletter, ads in the local papers and my goals are to sell 5 seats in my day-long business and marketing plan workshop, get testimonials from the CC Board and receive 1 paid speaking engagement.

Once I have the testimonials, I plan to mail a letter to all the CC that I did not hear from. And at the free event I'm doing, I will add to my sale talk at the end of the session that I'm looking to speak to other CCs and companies. I have an area on my evaluation form that also covers this.

I have a friend who got a job speaking at a CC. She spoke at a meeting for 30-minutes and then did a 3 hour presentation later that day costing $79 or $99 per person. She got 2 nights at a nice spa-hotel and $500 per hour. Not bad at all for a CC.

That's my intention too.

Edited by ElevatingYourBusiness (05/01/07 04:56 AM)

#104474 - 05/01/07 12:18 PM Re: Chambers of Commerce [Re: ElevatingYourBusiness]
Jane_Carroll Offline

Loc: Alabama
Maria,

Have you considered hosting your own event in the area...maybe at the library...sometimes that's free if the seminar is free...anyway...you could invite all the chamber members in a certain radius...and then you could sell in the back of the room...

I took the Kathleen Gage and Lori Givonni teleclass last week...and that is similar to something they talked about...

You could do a press release to local media...might get some publicity that way...might barter some services with local radio to get some advertising...possibly get a corporate sponsor...that would be nice if you have to pay for a location...some place like a business supply company...either local or chain like staples or office depot...banks and other businesses are usually glad to contribute goodies for goodie bags...oh...and banks usually have meeting rooms...maybe you could 'partner' with a local bank...they'd provide the meeting room...and help promote you as a benefit to the community businesses...and their customers...

Hope that helps...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved