The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 175 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#103822 - 01/20/07 01:21 PM Ask and it shall be given unto thee
Anno Offline

Loc: Minneapolis Minnesota
I am not sure that I have the verse correct, so please forgive me my ignorance.

I am trying to help my mom find a balance of acceptance of her alzheimers and also let go of the worries that she has about loosing her memory. She is a church going Christian (I am not) and I believe that if I can talk her language, she will be able to hear me better.

I completely believe that if a person thinks positively, they will receive more of what they want. If a person focuses on all the negatives that may happen, that is what will come into your life (aka, Power of Intention, Law of Attraction, The Secret, etc.).

From what I remember of the Bible, this verse is saying the very same thing. Please help me speak my mother's language, not my own "new age" language, so that she is better able to hear me.

Thanks, Ann

#103823 - 01/20/07 03:51 PM Re: Ask and it shall be given unto thee [Re: Anno]
Danita Offline

Loc: Colorado
Anno,

There are so many verses that could relate to her.

It must be a very difficult and scary journey for her.

I was going to write some verses down, but you know, it started to feel like I'm handing you band-aides.

Speak the language of LOVE to her. THAT is the UNIVERSAL language of God.

YOU can be the arms of God as you hold her, and reassure her, that everything is going to be ok...that you will always be with her, watching out for her, loving her.

When she shares her fear, acknowledge what she says, and then giver her a really big hug, and tell her you love her.

"I know mom, you are frustrated and afraid. I love you and will always be here for you."

You can't talk or preach her out of the place she is in...she has to get through the process in her own time.

Hope that helps some.

danita

My most recent story for my mom:
http://www.heritagemakers.com/projectBro...tSponsor=384221

#103824 - 01/20/07 05:43 PM Re: Ask and it shall be given unto thee [Re: Danita]
Anno Offline

Thanks, Danita. I try, and believe I am successful, at loving her and letting her know that I am there for her. I know that I can not change where she is at, at this moment, as much as I would love to make everything all right for her. You are so right, bandaids are not needed and not helpful.
Thanks for caring and helping.
Ann

#103825 - 01/20/07 07:41 PM Re: Ask and it shall be given unto thee [Re: Anno]
smilinize Offline

Loc: outer space
Maybe the following scriptures might be of comfort to your mother.

Psalms 37: 4 Take delight in the Lord, and He will give you your heart's desires.

Jer 29:11 For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.

Ro 8:28 And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose

Isa 46:10 From the beginning I predicted the outcome; long ago I foretold what would happen. I said that my plans would never fail, that I would do everything I intended to do.

http://crosswalk.com/ is is a great resource for finding Scriptures. You just enter a word and it will find every Scripture with that word in it in whatever version of the Bible you specify.

#103826 - 01/22/07 12:44 AM Re: Ask and it shall be given unto thee [Re: smilinize]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Great scriptures, great question and excellent advice from Danita too.

We are getting advice for a loved one of ours who also has Alzheimers. What we have learned that helps the most at this point is to meet them where they are. I recommend meeting your mom in her statements about the disease. Affirm her statements about the disease. Do not deny her feelings.

Might you wnat to have a minister or priest come speak with her? That helped my mom tremendously when she was sick and dying. When the priest arrived, we left them alone and he met with her only. It was a huge blessing for all of us to know that he was helping Mom feel right with her God while she was suffering. Just a thought.

#103827 - 01/22/07 02:35 AM Re: Ask and it shall be given unto thee
Anno Offline

Thank you all. We have talked, on many, many levels over the past few months, but we just don't talk in the religious vein.

What I am hearing from all of you, is be myself. Here I am, a fantasitc daughter with lots of love that I give to my mom and dad (I must pat myself on the back for all that I have done) and doing quite well with all of that. I was trying to reach out to her in a different way, but, thanks to all of you, you helped me figure out that this would not be genuine and better to leave it to those that are the experts.

I know that no one said this, but this is what I was left thinking after reading your helpful posts. She will not hear religion from me, but she will hear it from dad and the minister. They will speak that language and I will continue to speak the language that I speak.

Thank you all.

#103828 - 01/28/07 05:21 AM Re: Ask and it shall be given unto thee [Re: Anno]
NewLeaf Offline

Loc: Deland, Florida
For God has not given us the spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind.

Trust in the Lord with your whole heart. Lean not on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him and He will direct your path.

I will never leave you or forsake you

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved