The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 137 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#10367 - 04/17/04 08:51 PM cost of medicatons!
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Does anyone in here purchase their prescriptions online or by phone?

We're looking for a reputable place to purchase drugs. Doesn't that sound wonderful?

My husband and daughter are diabetics and we're beginning to research other methods of buying insulin and blood test strips.

Every time we turn around the price of our prescriptions seems to increase.

Help!

FYI...when my mom was sick with cancer she had to take lots of meds. One was hugely expensive. I want to say $40.00 per pill. Could have been more, wasn't less. She only had to take a few every time she had chemo.

One day my brother and I phoned all the pharmacies in the area pricing this drug. You wouldn't believe the difference. Before our calls I thought the small independent pharmacies would be the most expensive and the CVS, Rite Aids, and Giants the cheapest. I was wrong. It was the total opposite. I was shocked.

I thought the bigger the place, the lower the price because they purchase in bulk. WRONG! We ended up getting the very same medication from the teeniest pharmacy in town at about 1/4 the price. The owner was a real gentleman, cared about my mom and dad, and has since become a friend of my dad's. Dad started buying all Mom's prescriptions from him.

Shop around!

#10368 - 04/20/04 04:55 AM Re: cost of medicatons!
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
I pay $10 for most of my meds so I really don't think about this much; HOWEVER, last prescription I turned in at Kaiser (my HMO) pharmacy was $150 for 9 pills!!! [Mad] Seems that this is a new drug with no generic equivalent, and I have a $250 yearly deductible for brand names.

Had I realized, I woulda shopped around. [Frown]

#10369 - 04/20/04 05:22 AM Re: cost of medicatons!
smilinize Offline

Loc: outer space
Meredith,
The cost of your med is what makes me so insane about pharmaceutical companies. That is a new drug with a patent that prohibits competition for up to fourteen years so they rape the public for as long as the patent lasts. They justify the exorbitant prices by saying they are paying for expensive research, but actually much of the research is paid for from tax dollars.

It should be a crime to take advantage of people who are ill and at the mercy of the medical system!!

Sorry it's my soapbox and I'm standing on it!!
smile

#10370 - 04/20/04 06:50 AM Re: cost of medicatons!
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Jump up and down on that soap box, [Eek!] its all true. Its like being held up at gunpoint by our own government. Sometimes if you write to the manufacturer of these drugs with a sob [Frown] story, they'll send a 30/90 day supply at no charge. Hard to believe but true. Hey, what have we got to lose, ask!!! If the story isn't exactly accurate, so be it. Its like deceiving the devil himself. [Embarrassed]

#10371 - 05/06/04 04:00 AM Re: cost of medicatons!
Dian Offline

Loc: Moundsville, WV
Yesterday, I sent in an order to Canada for the brand name flexeril and azulfidine I take. Canada's prices for brand names are sometimes much less than even the generics! This was after a lot of research. I'm in an HMO that is the pits. I finally found a good doctor, but he's not in their network, and through trial and error he only prescribes brand names. Anyway, if all goes well - I'll let you know where to go. The price difference was astronomical. One month supply of Flexeril here is almost 125.00. That's for 100 10mg tablets. The price in Canada for THREE months supply is $180.00. Same brand name. I forget which senator it is, but he was from Vermont or New Hampshire, and he started a website with information (that I have now lost) and recommended joining in on organized bus trips across the border for cheaper drugs.

#10372 - 05/07/04 04:39 PM Re: cost of medicatons!
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
URG...don't get me started! [Mad]
The cost of medication is out of CONTROL. Just the other night I went to pick up a new medicine for nausea for a loved one.

That'll be $800 and some...After I heard the $800 I stopped listening. This is for Zofran, 30 tablets and she can take as many as 3 a day!

WHAT! So then they told me I could get the cheaper version for $600 and some.

She mentioned that the doctor didn't know if there was a prescription plan involved.

WEll to begin with, one of the doctors recommended Compazine, 30 tablets for $20 some dollars, but another doctor had already written a prescription for the Zofran so they went with that. Little did we know about the cost.

After many phone calls I walked away with 6 Zofran for $120. some dollars ans the hopes of actually speaking with the doctor the next day.

The elderly are fiercely being robbed!

Bring on Canada!

#10373 - 05/08/04 02:35 AM Re: cost of medicatons!
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Is it just me or does anyone else feel it doesn't pay to get old in todays markets? You're better off , as my son jokes, to die young and beautiful. [Roll Eyes] Maybe he has a point.

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved