The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 177 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#103520 - 01/21/07 04:38 PM Re: Your postings can come back to haunt you [Re: Dianne]
Jane_Carroll Offline

Loc: Alabama
I think this is a very important topic. We're all building our platforms and looking for ways to connect with our readers and the people that we want to help...but it can be a case of when too much is too much...and once something is out there is cyberspace...it's hard to retract it!...I try to be mindful of what I put out there for that very reason

#103521 - 01/21/07 11:31 PM Re: Your postings can come back to haunt you [Re: Jane_Carroll]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
So use common sense when posting. We use to have a couple areas on this site where only mambers with secret passwords could post and/or read posts BUT thats not availale anymore and those threads are pretty much never used anymore. Too Bad Too!

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#103522 - 01/22/07 12:01 AM Re: Your postings can come back to haunt you [Re: chatty lady]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
This is especially important for our young children who are in college and job searching. I can't recall the percentage, but I read that a fairly large percentage of kids who graduated from college last year and applied for certain jobs did not get them due to information they had posted on the internet.

#103523 - 01/22/07 04:37 PM Re: Your postings can come back to haunt you
Laurel Offline

Loc: Oklahoma, USA
I think most of us use discretion and common sense when posting here.

Dotsie's right, our kids need to be aware of the repercussions that can arise from their posts on websites like My Space. Many employers and colleges have started reading the posts there for screening purposes.

I don't agree with the practice. Are they going to spy on the latest college student's hang outs to see how they act on off hours? A person's party behaviour shouldn't be a judge of their work performance.

It reminds me of Big Brother.

Laurel

#103524 - 01/22/07 08:42 PM Re: Your postings can come back to haunt you [Re: Laurel]
klmr13 Offline

Loc: Stars Hollow
I would think that's why it's a good idea to use a pseudonym. I'm sure "the powers that be" can track you down if they really want to, but at least the posts wouldn't come up if they did a search on Google. Is this true?

#103526 - 01/23/07 09:04 PM Re: Your postings can come back to haunt you [Re: ]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Laurel, that's a good point. Who amolng us would have wanted our employees to see what we were doing at parties when we were teens and young adults?

#103527 - 01/24/07 03:57 AM Re: Your postings can come back to haunt you
Mercy09 Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD
Thank you all for your thoughtful comments.
Tonight I shared these thoughts via email and had a discussion with our college age daughter, a writer, about the subject. I thought she might want to bring it up in her school newspaper either via interview or article. I'll let you know if the topic is addressed this semester.

#103528 - 01/24/07 02:25 PM Re: Your postings can come back to haunt you [Re: Mercy09]
Daisygirl Offline

Loc: Ohio
That is one reason I do not post my picture also. I wouldn't think of using my real name.

A guy I was dating googled my name and he told me what he found. I gave a reference for a dude ranch and used my real name on a dog website where I only encouraged a couple who was having dog behavior problems. I'm normally a very private person.

laurapoplin.com

#103529 - 01/27/07 10:31 PM Re: Your postings can come back to haunt you [Re: Daisygirl]
celtic_flame Offline

Loc: Belfast/Northern Ireland
i have just dun it for the first time fairly confident that my name would never be on the internet, gess what it was.......now how scarrie was that never in a million years did i think, i don't even have a blogg for crying out loud.......the university when i graduated for my masters published the grad lists,,,,WHAT

the other links werre my name and nuthing to do with me hand on hart, their more than me with my name....scarrie but think they get paid more by what i read...

if you never goggled yourself try, for a laugh or a shock lol

celtic_secrite_flame

#103530 - 01/27/07 11:06 PM Re: Your postings can come back to haunt you [Re: celtic_flame]
Laurel Offline

Loc: Oklahoma, USA
There's a famous singer with my name and a nice website. She's much younger and prettier. I wouldn't mind if people thought it was me.

Laurel

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved