The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 147 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#103254 - 01/15/07 09:31 PM First Post
pawm Offline
stranger

Loc: California
Hello,

Although I joined several months ago, this is my first time posting. I've spent an hour or so reading different posts and boy, what a wonderful community of women. I feel privileged to now be a part of this community and wonder what too me so long to get started... a little shy I suppose.

I am hoping to meet many of you who are active here in these forums. I am a 1958 boomer and I love reading, writing, music, and photography. I have a 15 yo daughter and have worked as a nutritionist over the past 24 years. I am hoping to meet many of you and I wish each of you a great new year.

Pam

"To eat is a necessity
but to eat intelligently is an art."
- La Rochefoucauld

#103255 - 01/15/07 09:50 PM Re: First Post [Re: pawm]
Lola Offline

Loc: London UK
Hi, Pawm: Welcome to the gang! A nutritionist...you'd surely have a lot of queries coming your way...from me, at least . I'm sure the rest of the sisters would come along any minute to welcome you as well. Sit tight and chatter away! Where in California do you live?

#103256 - 01/15/07 09:50 PM Re: First Post [Re: pawm]
Jeannine Offline

Loc: Georgia, U.S.
Hello, and welcome, Pam. You have indeed, discovered a great group of women! Jump in, anywhere, dive right into any thread...the water's fine!

[i]'It's never too late in Fiction-- or in Life to Revise.'
---Nancy Thayer

#103257 - 01/15/07 09:53 PM Re: First Post [Re: Jeannine]
Lola Offline

Hi, Jeannine: SNAP!!! Second time around that has happened to me...simultaneous postings...1:50! Does this mean I owe you a beer as well?

#103258 - 01/15/07 10:02 PM Re: First Post [Re: Lola]
Pam R. Offline

Hi Pam, Welcome from a New York Pam to a California Pam! You will love it here. Keep reading and posting, there is always something of interest.

#103259 - 01/15/07 10:11 PM Re: First Post [Re: Pam R.]
Edelweiss Offline

Loc: American living in Europe
Ho Hey! Just checked in before calling it a night.
But first got to welcome you Pam, to this awesome site.

Was that a rhyme? Goodnight girls!

#103260 - 01/15/07 10:36 PM Re: First Post [Re: pawm]
pawm Offline
stranger

Hi all, I live in southern California in Orange County -- right next door to Los Angeles County. Originally, I am from New York and I love both coasts. And, if you have a nutrition question that won't let you sleep, by all means, send it my way. I'll be glad to tell you what I know.

Thanks for the quick and warm welcome. I'm feeling at home already!

Pam

Edited by pawm (01/15/07 10:38 PM)

#103261 - 01/15/07 11:46 PM Re: First Post [Re: pawm]
Anno Offline

Loc: Minneapolis Minnesota
Welcome to the forums. Tell us about your music interests. Classical, rock, jazz, country? And your photography? Do you enjoy taking photos or looking at photos? Digital or 35mm? Tell us more, in other words.

#103262 - 01/16/07 12:10 AM Re: First Post [Re: Anno]
pawm Offline
stranger

I studied photography about 30 years ago but abandoned it since film processing was so expensive. Last year, I lucked up on a Canon Rebel and the rest is history. I like photographing kids, people, nature and fruits/vegetables and I love editing them and playing with the photos in photoshop. Are there others who like to play with photography?

Music -- I love contemporary gospel, classical -- especially piano, orchestra, violin, pop, jazz, some R&B, and easy listening. I like singing harmony to most songs like "happy birthday," etc. Any other music lovers?

Pam

#103263 - 01/16/07 12:30 AM Re: First Post [Re: pawm]
Dancing Dolphin Offline

Loc: Southern California
Hi Pam, Welcome! I am a 1958 Californian too! Plus, I have a 15 year old son - we should get your daughter and my son together - HA!

I'm meeting MeredithBead next Saturday for dinner. She's also from Orange County. First time I'll actually meet a BWS friend!

Hmmm, nuturition questions? Are the Junior Mints I just ate good for me, if they kept me in a good mood so I didn't yell at anyone?

Kathy

#103264 - 01/16/07 01:18 AM Re: First Post [Re: Dancing Dolphin]
Jane_Carroll Offline

Loc: Alabama
Hi Pam and welcome! I've only ever lived in Alabama but I did live on the Gulf Coast for 4 years...I love costal living!

My girls are grown, 27 and 26. I left nursing a couple of years ago to reinvent myself as a writer...it's a lot of fun!

Kathy,
Sounds like the Junior Mints were good for your family!

#103265 - 01/16/07 01:18 AM Re: First Post [Re: Dancing Dolphin]
pawm Offline
stranger

Wow! Meredith and I belonged to the same poetry group. We used to meet in Orange County and share poetry. I stumbled across her name and web site today and we had a short reunion -- she's an awesome person. Do you live in the OC too?

BTW, 1958 must have been a good year! Some might say I'm biased but... and are you facing the same 15-year joys and challenges that I am? Sometimes, it makes me speechless!

And about those Junior Mints -- they're good for you only if they're chasers after chocolate chip cookies... at least that's my professional opinion.

Great to meet you June!

Pam

#103266 - 01/16/07 01:24 AM Re: First Post [Re: pawm]
pawm Offline
stranger

Hi Jane,

Alabama is an awesome place too. I went to school there long time ago. Thank you for the warm welcome.

How was the career move? Are you enjoying writing more than nursing? I admire your leap and I hope that you have landed safely in the world of writing.

It's great meeting you!

Pam

#103267 - 01/16/07 03:35 AM Re: First Post [Re: pawm]
Dancing Dolphin Offline

Loc: Southern California
Hey Pam, my name is actually Kathy. I know, I know, it's confusing. But Rick and June are characters in my baby boomer book "June is Hot" and I was promoting them when I signed up as a member here nearly a year ago.

Yes, 15 year olds are fun. I'm actually home schooling my son which means less stress for both of us. He hated being at the bus stop at 6:00am and I hated trying to get him to do his homework everynight. Now, he just works during the day on his school work and it seems to be going well overall. (with the exception of geometry - we both hate geometry!)

I'm in Wrightwood. Have you heard of Mountain High Ski Area? I'm a few miles away from that resort. About an hour and a half from the OC. Hey, want to have dinner with Meredith and I on Saturday? We don't know where we're meeting yet - we'll both be in LA at the Gift Show.

Talk to you later!
Kathy
aka June

#103268 - 01/16/07 06:03 AM Re: First Post [Re: Dancing Dolphin]
pawm Offline
stranger

Hi Kathy,

Thanks for helping me get the name straight. Sometimes your eyes whiz right by the important info -- i.e. your name -- and you don't see it. Pardon me for that.

To meet you and Meredith for dinner would be nice but it depends where and when. My Saturday is kind of full but I may have a few hours to at least sit and chat for a bit. Please let me know the details and I will try and make it.

Thanks for the invite.

I have heard of the Mountain High Ski Area. It is in the Big Bear area -- correct? You'll be coming a good way to get to LA. However, it should be a nice trip as long as there isn't a lot of ice and snow on the road. It is also beautiful up there -- hopefully a lot of natural inspiration.

I'll listen out for you concerning the details for Saturday and I'll let you and Meredith know if I can make it.

warm regards,

Pam

#103269 - 01/16/07 06:51 AM Re: First Post [Re: pawm]
chickadee Offline

Welcome Pam, glad you found the site. I haven't meet any of my boomer friends yet.I sure hope you get to meet with the girls, if it's only for a few minutes. See you around the boards.

chick

#103270 - 01/16/07 10:17 AM Re: First Post [Re: chickadee]
Poppie Offline

Loc: London
Hi Pawm....glad you have joined us....you will be hooked in no time now you have posted. I was shy to begin with(still am realy!!)...but once I started, it got easier and I became more adventurious.
I sing all the time and have sang in local jazz bands and set up womens choirs.....we had a hoot. I hope to start another this year when I get the time!! The lasses here are a grand bunch so you will find your feet in no time. Look forward to getting to know more about your music and writing.

Popea
''Perhaps all the dragons in our lives are princesses who are only waiting to see us act, just once, with beauty and courage. Perhaps everything that frightens us is, in its deepest essence, something helpless that wants our love

#103271 - 01/16/07 02:30 PM Re: First Post [Re: Poppie]
Jane_Carroll Offline

Pam,

Yes, I love writing! Where did you go to school in AL? I'm a 1954...so our paths probably didn't cross...I tried several colleges before graduating from UAB in nursing.

#103272 - 01/16/07 02:39 PM Re: First Post [Re: Jane_Carroll]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Hey Pam, another 1958 boomer. How about that? Welcome to the neighborhood. It's great having you here already.

I have a son who is great at Photo Shhop. He's a film major so he totally understand how to do anything and everything with those editing systems. He's created some very funny photos of us by distorting faces and bodies. What fun for you to take time to photograph kids and food!

As far as nutrition goes, do you know any good foods for people with Alzheimers?

Ladies, please do not tell where you are meeting in the forums. Please do that by email. Thanks.

#103273 - 01/16/07 02:50 PM Re: First Post
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
You 1958 girls are still wet behind the ears!

I'm glad you started posting and welcome! I just got a Nikon D80 so maybe you can help me with it! I'm clueless.

Boomer Queen of Shoes

#103274 - 01/16/07 02:56 PM Re: First Post [Re: Dianne]
TVC15 Offline

Loc: North Carolina
Hi Pam,
Nice to meet you. I'm a former New Yorker as well but love my move south.
My son's a little older than yours. He's almost 17.
Welcome to the group!

#103275 - 01/16/07 03:35 PM Re: First Post [Re: pawm]
Laurel Offline

Loc: Oklahoma, USA
Hello Pam,
I'm actually newer than you but wanted to say "Welcome". My name is actually Pam too. I picked Laurel because there are so many Pam's; didn't want to cause any confusion. Laurel is another name for a variety of tree such as the Magnolia. I'm a tree hugger...so there you go.

I was born in Oxnard but we moved to Oklahoma (where my family is originally from) when I was 9.

I envy you prune pickers about now. We're up to our ears in ice here in Okie land.

Laurel

#103276 - 01/16/07 09:37 PM Re: First Post [Re: chickadee]
pawm Offline
stranger

Hi Chickadee,

Thanks for stopping by to welcome me. BTW -- I love your picture. I think it's awesome!

Pam

#103277 - 01/16/07 09:42 PM Re: First Post [Re: Jane_Carroll]
pawm Offline
stranger

Hi Jane, I went to Oakwood College in Huntsville and majored in Home Economics. I don't think they call it that anymore. I think it's called consumer education. I was in the Northern parts.

Nice to meet you and I'm looking forward to seeing you around the forums.

Pam

#103278 - 01/16/07 10:06 PM Re: First Post [Re: pawm]
pawm Offline
stranger

As I am still drying behind my ears... I want to thank you all for making me welcome. It is really warm in here -- the kind of place where I get my cup of chai tea and chat for hours.

Diane -- whatever questions you have, shoot them my way. All I have ever owned were Canons, although Nikons are extremely nice cameras. I'll help you with whatever I can.

TVC15 -- I didn't find a name but I see you are from North Carolina -- a place I visit from time to time -- near Wilmington. Thanks for stopping by to say welcome.

Laurel/Pam -- I love magnolias. I never knew there was a laurel variety. My first encounter with magnolias were down south. I can vividly remember how the magnolia scent permeated the nighttime air. They're awsome trees. BTW -- I love your name and I don't think I'm biased either <lol> Thanks for your warm welcome.

I look forward to seeing everyone as I peruse through the forums. Again, thanks.

Pam

#103279 - 01/16/07 10:11 PM Re: First Post [Re: Poppie]
pawm Offline
stranger

Hi Popea,

I say we find a way to get together and sing a few notes -- I love singing. I just don't know if everybody loves my singing as much. I would love to hear you sing jazz. Hopefully, one day I'll get that chance. I enjoy listening as well as singing. I sang in a few groups -- mostly as an alto or tenor -- not a soloist by any stretch of the imagination.

I look forward to seeing you around the forum and communicating. Maybe we can sing a few tunes on the board -- yes?

Pam

#103280 - 01/16/07 10:25 PM Re: First Post [Re: Jane_Carroll]
yonuh Offline

Loc: Arizona
Isn't it a small world? Jane, I'm also a UAB alum - 1993 (I was a very late bloomer LOL) And I gave up nursing in '88 for accounting and am now ready to embark on a third career, if I could just figure out what it is!

Pawm, great to meet you. I have been a member here for about a year or so, and I love the community here. Whatever you need here, someone has the answer. I love it!
http://sablewings.wordpress.com/

#103281 - 01/16/07 10:43 PM Re: First Post [Re: Dancing Dolphin]
gims Offline

Loc: USA
Hello Pam and everyone else.
I'm a newbie, too.
Can't wait to get to know each of you better.

My DH and I have two grown girls, who, with their husbands, have blessed us with 7 grandchildren. They give my life purpose. I am unemployed, but thinking of returning to the corporate world. We live in south Texas, which I often want to leave, but when I visit other places, I'm always glad to return to the place we call home.
I try to run around barefooted whenever possible. I hate wearing the infamous '60s undergarment (even though I wasn't a burner, at the time). I wear makeup, sparingly, or not at all. Grey, spectacled and rounding with age, I've come to enjoy spending boocoos of time on the internet. One last "I like" - nature.

#103282 - 01/16/07 10:55 PM Re: First Post [Re: yonuh]
pawm Offline
stranger

Hi Yonuh,

It is a pleasure to meet you and thank you for e-mailing me. I am planning to be involved in the forums -- a lot of warmth here.

Hope to see you around.

Pam

#103283 - 01/16/07 11:04 PM Re: First Post [Re: gims]
pawm Offline
stranger

Hi Gimster,

Thank you for stopping by and welcoming me even though you are new too.

I see that you are a nature lover and so am I. I like photographing trees, bugs, flowers, fruits & veggies, sunsets, etc. How do you enjoy nature? I sometimes go on long walks with my camera and take all sorts of pictures along the way.

I hope you're getting a kick out of so many grandchildren. My husband has one who comes and spends the night on the weekends. We have a ball with him. I'm sure with 7, it is seven times the fun. What are some of the things you enjoy with your grand kids?

Look forward to getting to know you.

Pam

#103284 - 01/16/07 11:46 PM Re: First Post [Re: pawm]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Well glory be, not one, but two newbies at once. A hadry welcome to you Pawn and Gimster. I hope your membership here will prove as worthwhile and rewarding as mine has been to me, one of the old timers. I say that because I graduated and got married in 1958, innocent child bride that I was...OH YEA!
HUGS to you both.
Chatty

Edited by chatty lady (01/16/07 11:53 PM)

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#103285 - 01/17/07 12:32 AM Re: First Post [Re: chatty lady]
pawm Offline
stranger

Hi Chatty,

I've heard that good things come in twos. They also come in ones and threes and so on but for newbies posting, they come in twos.

I am glad to meet you and the rest of the crew that is on board. Cruising through the forums and meeting everyone is been great sailing and I'm lovin' it.

Thank you for introducing yourself and making us feel welcome. I'm sure, I'll be talking to you again in another forum.

Pam

#103286 - 01/17/07 05:53 AM Re: First Post [Re: pawm]
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
Here's my official HIYA to Pam, Laurel and Gimster. Pam already pm'd me when she saw my smiling face and said "Aha! I recognize this person!" The poetry group was great while it lasted.

Poet and essayist

#103287 - 01/17/07 06:13 AM Re: First Post [Re: pawm]
gims Offline

Pam, Hi back...
Nature - I just love being in it. I love the cool grass on my feet. I love the wind in my hair. I love the soft caress of water. I love the smell of morning air, a quick rain, and even horse manure in the pasture. And, I love trees, especially majestic oaks. Can you imagine what the good Lord was thinking as he created it all?

I do truly enjoy all 7 GC - well, there is one that hasn't exactly warmed to me yet, but he'll come around - it is amazing how different they all are. I have a silent, sensitive type with a huge heart. I have one who is all giggle and talk. Another is pure primp and pamper, loving all thing glittery. Those 3 are my girls. Then the boys: one ADHD driven, one born to be an athlete, another so smart you'd think he's 10 years older, and then the one who stands alone (our individual of individuals), and like I said before, he will warm up to me, eventually. I keep craft boxes full of items I've collected for our play times. We create, create, create... and they love it. We also love playing games - Racko, Scrabble, Life, etc. They are all growing up so fast. It seems to be happening faster than when our girls did. This makes me sad. There is absolutely nothing more precious or grounding than sweet little arms being placed around your neck in an unpretentious hug!!!

#103288 - 01/17/07 06:28 AM Re: First Post [Re: gims]
Lola Offline

Hi, Gimster: Welcome! I'm glad I checked back on this thread and can now welcome you to the gang as well. How old are your grandchildren and and do they live closeby? Mine are 3 months, 2 and 6. They live in the country but come around to stay for a weekend each month. We however webcam each other every evening after their bath. They do seem to grow up faster than our own children did. My 6-year old seems to have grown up overnight. Right now, he's waiting to retire two lower front baby teeth.

See you at the threads!

#103289 - 01/17/07 06:38 AM Re: First Post [Re: Lola]
gims Offline

Hello Lola,
Thanks for the welcome and nice to meet you.

Our oldest is 11. From there we have a 10, a 9, 2@ 8, and then 2@ 5. Both of our girls and their families live near, so we are able to see all at will. In fact, we live an almost equal distance between the two families, no more than 15 miles. It really worked out nicely when I was the "sitter." Now all 7 are in school, so I'm not needed in that capacity much any more. I'm glad you get to see yours at least once a month. I have withdrawals if I go any longer than 2 weeks without seeing some of them. Don't be surprised if I post incessantly with talk of my 7 grands!

#103290 - 01/17/07 07:04 AM Re: First Post [Re: gims]
Lola Offline

Post freely about your grandchildren, Gimster. Many of us bring out our brag books at a drop of a hat, as grandmothers do. There have been a few grandbabies born and welcomed last year. We await further announcements.

I love walking barefoot as well and did that for a whole summer when I was 13 much to the chagrin of my parents but, since I could not and was not allowed Woodstock in the summer of 1969, I thought I'd freestyle.

#103291 - 01/17/07 01:27 PM Re: First Post [Re: Lola]
Poppie Offline

Loc: London
Hey there Gimster ....great to have you on board..as I say to all newbies...this place is special...brimmed ful of warm witty, welcoming and inspirational lasses. The craic is mighty(craic=fun)and I hope you find it a great place to hang out and make freinds.

Pawm...I used to be switched in the choir to strenghten whatever harmonies were lacking...so I can cover a pretty good range...it would be the best of craic(pronounced crack) to sing together..lol..you record something and pm me with a link..I will harmonize and edit..then well post it in a forum...and swing...eh???

Keep Sweet
Popea
''Perhaps all the dragons in our lives are princesses who are only waiting to see us act, just once, with beauty and courage. Perhaps everything that frightens us is, in its deepest essence, something helpless that wants our love

#103292 - 01/17/07 02:31 PM Re: First Post [Re: Poppie]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Popea! What an excellent idea! I would kill to hear you sing. Okay, maybe not kill, but you know what I mean. I hope you all do that! I was the president of my high school choir till me and another guy got kicked out for talking. Can you imagine?

I don't like doing a blanket WELCOME, but here it is. You three NEWBEES bring so much to our forum and we're just tickled to pieces to see you here. Nature, cameras, jazz, grandchildren, ... these are a few of my favoriteeeee thingssssss...(Queen is singing LOUDLY, not necessarily goodLY)...

You're going to love it here, and guess what? We're going to love you being here.

By the way, Oakwood College is about 20 minutes or so from my home. I live 20 miles outside of Huntsville, AL. Too bad we didn't know each other then! And UAB is only about an hour away. I could have met you boomers!

Welcome girls --- Post! Post!

#103293 - 01/17/07 04:20 PM Re: First Post [Re: gims]
Laurel Offline

Loc: Oklahoma, USA
Welcome Gimster,

Love the name.

I'd love to hear y'all sing. I'll keep quiet as I can't carry a tune in a bucket.

Laurel

#103294 - 01/17/07 04:49 PM Re: First Post [Re: Laurel]
gims Offline

I want to learn to sing!

#103295 - 01/17/07 04:56 PM Re: First Post [Re: gims]
TVC15 Offline

Loc: North Carolina
Pleased to meet ya Gimster!
You all don't want to hear me sing! LOL

#103296 - 01/17/07 08:01 PM Re: First Post [Re: TVC15]
Saundra Offline

Loc: Daytona Beach, Florida
Oh my goodness, what a day. Three new ladies have come our way. Welcome!
www.gotteethguide.com for your Free Tips

#103297 - 01/17/07 08:17 PM Re: First Post [Re: Saundra]
Lola Offline

Gimster: Okay, let's start at the very beginning...

Popea!!! Post a link quick! Would love to hear you.

#103298 - 01/17/07 10:00 PM Re: First Post [Re: Lola]
Jeannine Offline

Loc: Georgia, U.S.
Lola, yep, oh definitely, the beer's on you, girlfriend! Make mine a Heineken!

[i]'It's never too late in Fiction-- or in Life to Revise.'
---Nancy Thayer

#103299 - 01/18/07 12:47 AM Re: First Post [Re: Jeannine]
pawm Offline
stranger

Hi Everyone,

Hey Meredith -- good to hear from you again and thanks for the official welcome. As you can see, I have a second home now -- right in this forum. I'm glad I stopped by. Now I'm here to stay!

Gimster -- I must say that your life is full of joy. Between the nature and 7 grandchildren, I bet your days are packed with moments of laughter, smiles, and meditative moments. You are right about them growing fast. I think it was yesterday when I held my grandson but now he's 2 1/2 and almost grown. I don't know where the time goes. I also wanted to mention that between Popea and me -- at least when we figure out how we're going to make music; why you can come and sing with us.

Lola -- what a wonderful way to stay in contact with your grandkids. A webcam helps you keep in touch with their growth and development. I'm sure it keeps you smiling too.

Popea -- you have struck a chord. If you can think of a song that I might harmonize to, or the other way around -- you're on. It'll be great to have a long-distance duo -- while we're at it, we can make our on CD for laughs and good times.

Jawjaw -- Thanks for the welcome. If I ever make it to my alma mater, I'll have to hollar at ya! I know we live in a big world but it seems mighty small when I can meet someone online 20 minutes away from my old stomping grounds. I loved it down there but I have only been back twice since I graduated. I'll get there but I just don't know when.

Saundra - it is nice to meet you. Thank you for your welcome.

Looking forward...

Pam

#103300 - 01/18/07 01:55 AM Re: First Post [Re: pawm]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

gimster, welcome to the neighborhood. I hope you make this your onlin hang out. You sound like such a sweet, loving grandmother. I love the fact that you do crafts with the kids. What fun.

Lola, how neat that you get to see the kids every night. Don't you just love the modern technology.

My youngest son ahs a Mac. So do most of his friends. They're all very creative and use them for editing and their srt. Anyway, one of his good buddies had to return to college before everyone else so they would sit in the den and chat with him "live" while touring his dorm room. It's the next best thing to being there.

#103301 - 01/18/07 06:48 AM Re: First Post
diamond50 Offline

Loc: Honolulu, Hawaii
Welcome, Pam : )
Love your area...we have family and friends in
Mission Viejo/Ladera Ranch and also in Irvine.
Andyou know I just gotta watch Real Housewives because
of Coto de Caza LOL!
We were last in OC about six months ago.

I hope to see you often on this board : )
Cindy

#103302 - 01/18/07 10:25 PM Re: First Post [Re: diamond50]
pawm Offline
stranger

Oh Cindy, you're living in paradise and you love the OC! I guess the grass is always greener on the other side. I just went to Hawaii in September and totally loved it.

Thanks for stopping by and welcoming the newbies.

Pam

#103303 - 01/19/07 04:43 PM Re: First Post [Re: Lola]
Emyjay Offline

I'm new too, and can't figure out why I can't post my first "post"

Please consider this a test. I must be doing something wrong.

Emily in Maryland (who is getting grey hair from trying to post)

#103304 - 01/20/07 01:43 PM Re: First Post [Re: gims]
Emyjay Offline

Hello Gimpster!

This is only my third post, so I'm new, too! Isn't this site a hoot!

I just had to reply to your post, when I read the last line about grandchildren and their unpretentious hugs. Our oldest just turned eight and his brother, our youngest, will turn six in February. My husband and I are smitten by these two little boys. Smitten.

I was debating about whether or not to drive to Baltimore tomorrow for a "grandson fix." Think you've made my mind up for me. After all, they're only five and eight once!

Life began all over for me, when our grandsons were born.

Blessings,
Emily in Maryland

#103305 - 01/20/07 10:52 PM Re: First Post [Re: Emyjay]
gims Offline

WELCOME Emily in Maryland!

#103306 - 01/22/07 11:48 PM Re: First Post [Re: gims]
Sherri Offline

Loc: Decatur, Illinois
I feel like I need to reintroduce myself, I've been gone so long. Hi, I'm Sherri, grandmother of 17 and will be 20 by the end of the year. I am a freelance writer, author, and work part-time in public relations. Hello to all old and hopefully new friends.
Sherri
www.christianstoryteller.com

#103307 - 01/22/07 11:55 PM Re: First Post [Re: Sherri]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Sherri! It's so good to hear your voice again girl! You are on my mind so much and I always have warm thoughts when I think of you. Now, please stick around...you are so loved!

Got it?

#103308 - 01/22/07 11:58 PM Re: First Post [Re: jawjaw]
Sherri Offline

It hasn't been a real good year and I tend to close down and crawl inside of myself. I have been busy but not satisfied. Make sense? Mid-Life Crisis in my late 50's.

#103309 - 01/23/07 12:01 AM Re: First Post [Re: Sherri]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Sherri, I totally understand. Just know that we love having you here and please drop in when you can. Meeting you was definitely a high point in my year!

#103310 - 01/23/07 12:07 AM Re: First Post [Re: jawjaw]
Edelweiss Offline

Loc: American living in Europe
Hi Sherri, don't think I've met you yet. From your post number you're an old trooper here. Hope you stick around. My gosh 20 grandchildren! Need any name ideas?

#103311 - 01/23/07 12:20 AM Re: First Post [Re: Edelweiss]
celtic_flame Offline

Loc: Belfast/Northern Ireland
PAM
i love photogrophy too abandend the 35 mm couse of coust and becoame a digital convert....but i miss the old days still despite all the advantiges of digital.

hope to be chatting to you soon it's good that a fair number of people have came into the forum all at once all the better to chatter too. The family grows

celtic_flame

#103312 - 01/23/07 12:40 AM Re: First Post [Re: celtic_flame]
pawm Offline
stranger

Hi Sherri,

I, too, would like to say welcome. Goodness! Seventeen grandchildren and three on the way -- wow! My prayer is that with so many to give you love, this year will be a better one for you.

Pam

#103313 - 01/23/07 12:50 AM Re: First Post [Re: pawm]
pawm Offline
stranger

Hello Celtic Flame,

Perhaps one day we can trade photos and marvel at each other's work. It seems there are several people who like photography. We can also trade secrets to help each other improve our photography. Although I studied, a lot of my work is very experimental.

Nice to meet you!

Pawm

#103314 - 01/23/07 03:51 AM Re: First Post [Re: pawm]
gims Offline

WOW! Sherri, going on 20 - what stories you must have to tell. How many children produced your lot? How fun holidays must be, tiring, but worth it, no doubt. I came from a large family and, I must say, when I was young, it was great getting together. I'm sure it was hard on my mom, especially after we grew, married and had our 16 for her and Daddy to love. Things have changed and we don't gather as we use to. How do you handle it? Do they all come to your home at the same time? Do you all have to meet at a rented facility?

Quote:

It hasn't been a real good year and I tend to close down and crawl inside of myself. I have been busy but not satisfied. Make sense? Mid-Life Crisis in my late 50's.

Oh, how this makes sense!!!! I can so relate! I'm sorry you have had a rough year, but I admonish you to remain outside yourself, so nothing can take you off-guard. If this was a private forum, I'd share a few things, but I'll just have to be your cheerleader and cheer you on. I hope 2007 brings you peace, happiness and many blessings!!!

#103315 - 01/23/07 04:15 AM Re: First Post [Re: gims]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Sherri, welcome back dear friend. It's great to hear from you.

I took time to crawl iinside myself several years ago when Mom died. It was after that time that BWS was launched.

Are you journaling?

And how is your son who was on a ship in a dangerous part of the world. I can't recall exactly where...

#103316 - 01/23/07 04:15 AM Re: First Post [Re: gims]
Sherri Offline

Steve and I have five children between us. We also have an "adopted" daughter that has four children. Three of our kids are having new babies this year. One in San Diego, they have two daughters, son is in the Navy, 2 that are within an hour of us. We know we are having one boy and will be finding out about the second in four more weeks.

Christmas is fun but I have NEVER had all of my grandkids here at the same time! I have 2 in Germany, Dad is Army.
It was tiring but happy just the same! Thanks for your cheers!

#103317 - 01/23/07 04:20 AM Re: First Post [Re: Sherri]
Sherri Offline

Dotsie, Craig is back in San Diego and he and his wife are having another baby. I have another son in Kuwait. He will be promoted to Major on the first of February. We are keeping our fingers crossed that another son's reserve group will not be called up, he and his wife are expecting a baby also. No time to journal, freelance writing, my eBay store, and now my part time job is keeping me from doing anything for fun, like working on my second novel or journaling. Just thought I would poke my head in for a moment, there are so many names I don't recognize. I'm pleased the forum has grown so much. It will be 20 years tomorrow since I lost my Mom, and guess what, it hurts this year, why is that? Bad time of year for me, I have a huge letdown after Christmas, Mom, and gray and cloudy skies. Well, enough of that. Thanks for welcoming me back into the fold.

#103318 - 01/23/07 05:57 AM Re: First Post [Re: Sherri]
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
Welcome back Sherri! I missed you and am sorry to hear last year was difficult for you. Mine had its moments, too

Poet and essayist

#103319 - 01/23/07 11:21 AM Re: First Post [Re: meredithbead]
Emyjay Offline

Dear Sherri,

So nice to meet you! I'm a new to these forums, but not to challenging months or years.

I was reading your last post and noticed that you said you didn't have time to do anything "fun."

Here, in my humble opinion, lies your biggest challenge.

I've learned that we have to make time for fun. We have to create balance in our lives.

I say this because whenever I've had a major challenge -- loss of my Dad, followed closely by the loss of my best friend since childhood -- I've had to fight the urge to crawl under my covers.

When I look back, balance is what was lacking at those times in my life. Now, whenever I'm facing a "mountain," I make sure that I schedule in time to do more of the things that I love to do. Scrapbooking, crocheting, reading, lighting candles, etc.

This year, two of my best friends are moving away and I have had to step down a notch at work, because I'm going to need more time to take care of my Mom and my Mother-in-law.

Since I haven't handled caretaking and loss well in the past, I'm actively looking for ways to balance my life now, before the actual challenges begin.

I hope this helps.

Sending good thoughts your way, Sherri!

Emily in Maryland

#221511 - 12/02/22 12:51 PM Re: First Post [Re: gims]
gims Offline

Today's date: 12/02/2022
Duration: 5798 days
Or 190 months, 15 days
Or 15 years, 10 months, 15 days
ALMOST 16 years have passed, and so much has happened!
Sitting here, wishing I was back in 2007 and sharing thoughts with this group that was!

gims aka gimster aka Mona from TX

Edited by gims (12/02/22 12:52 PM)

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved