The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 155 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#10310 - 01/09/04 08:15 AM Flu
Vicki M. Taylor Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
With this horrible flu strain running rampant ... how are ya'all handling it?

I get a flu shot every year at my doctor's insistence. I realized that the shot doesn't protect from the Fuji strain.

Our state (Florida) has only had one or two isolated cases of the illness. I've heard other states were hit really hard.

What are you doing to protect yourself and your family?

#10311 - 01/09/04 08:33 AM Re: Flu
smilinize Offline

Loc: outer space
Vicki

The flu shot hoax and the pharmaceutical company scam are two of my favorite rants.

I think I posted something on "A very fine Whine" in December about flu shots. It's far from a scientific study and only my opinion, but maybe you can gather some info from everyone who was having the flu at the time.

There doesn't seem to be any way to avoid the flu except perhaps to avoid all human contact. Maybe move to Mars or never bathe so no one comes close or maybe just be so mean that no self respecting germ will even try to get you.

If you figure out a better way, let us all know.

smile

#10312 - 01/08/04 09:00 PM Re: Flu
Vicki M. Taylor Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
heehee.. it's funny you mention the "no bathing" way to avoid the flu.

Actually, we are one of the cleanest nations and one of the sickest, because we are so clean. Imagine that!!

We dont' let our bodies natually build up its immunity system against germs. We are so "germ-free" crazed that we're making ourselves sick!

Now, if you ask me, I'd rather be clean.. but it makes sense. How is our immune system supposed to protect us if we continue to weaken it. We don't give it anything to build itself up, to strengthen.

Why are there so many autoimmune disorders? Nowadays, kids are sicker than when we were at that age, and I bet we were sicker as kids than our parents were at that age.

We don't have more germs, we have less and less ability to fight the germs.

#10313 - 01/08/04 09:32 PM Re: Flu
smilinize Offline

Vicki

You are so right. We are our own little ecosystem. And all our germ killin' can also whack the nice little organisms we need to keep us in balance.

Same thing with pain medication and tranquilizers. Over time pain meds make us more sensitive to pain and tranquilizers make us more sensitive to stress. By keeping our bodies and minds from feeling the pain of life situations, we do not build the muscles, immunity, and tolerance necessary to defeat the same invaders next time they attack. It's the tearing down and building back that develops our defenses. Just like muscles that heal over stronger from exercise, so does our brain and our immune system heal stronger from fighting off micro organisms, stress, and pain. And when we interfere with our body's natural reaction to those stressors, our brain over compensates the next time they come in order to get our attention that something is wrong.

Of course there are times when our bodies and our brains simply become exhausted from fighting and we need immediate help. We should take into account the long term effects on the ecosystem of our lives when we begin a course of treatment and plan for a time to end the treatment and possibly endure the discomfort in order to allow our bodies and minds to heal themselves.

smile

#10314 - 01/20/04 06:48 PM Re: Flu
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Smile, I'm grateful that our kids had a pediatricain who rarely prescribed antibiotics. He was bent on their systems fighting for them.

I can think of only one or two times that we had the little bottle of pink medicine in our fridge. We had friends who were rarely without it.

Not sure, and will never know why, but they have been healthy kids in recent years. Praise God.

I agree that we are an over-medicated society, and the problem is only getting worse with the number of drugs being prescribed for youth.

I do believe that medicine definetly has it's place and can be miracle workers in many situations. I just don't think doctors always take enough time to discern who needs what, if anything.

#10315 - 01/20/04 10:56 PM Re: Flu
smilinize Offline

The January 16, 2004 issue of USA TODAY says preliminary research indicates that this year's flu vaccine has not been effective in preventing flu.

The CDC found that the vaccine did little or nothing to prevent such flu symptoms as fever, cough or sore throat. The vaccine makers insist matching the virus was unusually difficult this year. However, other research indicates matching the virus to be an on-going problem. Rarely can the vaccine makers match the current virus(es). In 1998-99, a vaccine was developed to match the strains in circulation at that time. In order to match the virus, it was developed too late to prevent flu in the majority of the population. The makers claim 86% effectiveness against lab diagnosed flu and 34% effective against the many other flu-like illnesses. I would question the data collection method in that some people would develop immunity on their own, especially late in the season.

Despite their own research, the CDC continues to recommend immunization. ??

smile

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved