The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 161 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#103123 - 01/14/07 02:41 PM "Running with Scissors"
Danita Offline

Loc: Colorado
Has anyone besides me read this book?

A friend of mine lent it to me - told me it was about a disfunctional family - I would say that it is more along the lines of a sick and perverted family.

I WILL NOT see this in movie form - I can't imagine sitting through this story on the screen.

In defense of the writer - the characters were well developed, the story easy to follow....the plot....well, there just wasn't ONE redemptive factor in the whole poopie mess.

Anyone else have comments?

danita

My most recent story for my mom:
http://www.heritagemakers.com/projectBro...tSponsor=384221

#103124 - 01/14/07 03:22 PM Re: "Running with Scissors" [Re: Danita]
Eagle Heart Offline

Loc: Canada
My husband and I got free tickets to the premiere of this when it first came to town. It was a nightmare to sit through - the ONLY thing that kept me from walking out was knowing that it was a true story, and I really wanted to find out how the guy was able to not only survive that mess and live to tell his story, but how he did so without completely losing his sanity! Very sad story. Knowing it was a true story (and that the guy triumphs in the end) gave it some redemption in my eyes, but the most redeeming factor of it was that it made me VERY grateful for MY childhood, as messy as it might have been at times!

Addendum: I'm not sure you could pay me enough to sit through it a second time...or read the book. But I DID thoroughly enjoy the music - lots of great songs in there. I'll probably buy the soundtrack.

Edited by Eagle Heart (01/14/07 03:25 PM)

(Maya Angelou)

#103125 - 01/14/07 03:36 PM Re: "Running with Scissors" [Re: Eagle Heart]
Danita Offline

Eagle,

It was based on a true story? I had NO idea. Argh, I think it makes it worse.

I can't even fathom what the movie would be like. Now I can KINDA seem how the end is a little redemptive - if it's a true story....

It looks like there is a second book.

danita

My most recent story for my mom:
http://www.heritagemakers.com/projectBro...tSponsor=384221

#103126 - 01/14/07 06:48 PM Re: "Running with Scissors" [Re: Danita]
Princess Lenora Offline

I read the book, and have been looking for the movie in my area. I will see the movie on DVD when available. Yes, it is supposedly based on a true story, but so was "A Million Little Pieces" in which James Frey admittedly embellished and inserted untrue scenarios, yet claimed it to be true. Had I not been a social worker, and seen the most unbelievable family units, I would have found "Running" quite Unbelievable.

#103127 - 01/14/07 07:16 PM Re: "Running with Scissors" [Re: Princess Lenora]
dejavu Offline
journeyman

The family that took him in is suing him now, claiming he distorted many things and in some cases plain outright lied. So I guess you have to take all 'memoirs' with a grain of salt.

#103128 - 01/14/07 07:19 PM Re: "Running with Scissors" [Re: dejavu]
Eagle Heart Offline

Loc: Canada
Quote:

So I guess you have to take all 'memoirs' with a grain of salt.

Except Lynn's...

(Maya Angelou)

#103129 - 01/14/07 11:27 PM Re: "Running with Scissors" [Re: Eagle Heart]
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
I read the book and the reviews on the movie stated what I felt about the book: Gross. I had to skip through so many parts of that story, especially reading his history from the toilet! Saving it on the patio table. The detailed gay sex scenes. It was just too much for me.

Boomer Queen of Shoes

#103130 - 01/15/07 01:37 AM Re: "Running with Scissors" [Re: Dianne]
Princess Lenora Offline

And Sharon's and Dianne's! Did I read the same book? All of a sudden, I cannot remember the scenes that you all are speaking of. Hmm, I wonder if I can take the movie in after all.

#103131 - 01/15/07 12:54 PM Re: "Running with Scissors" [Re: Princess Lenora]
Cookie Offline

Loc: USA
I read the book too. I was too disgusted with it and couldn't finish it.

Another book I was disappointed in was Janet Fitch's latest book, "Paint It Black". I loved her first book, "White Oleander", and couldn't wait for her second book. After waiting several years for her new book to be released, I was very disappointed in it. I didn't like the story at all. There was also just too many "F" words for my liking.

#103132 - 01/15/07 02:34 PM Re: "Running with Scissors" [Re: Cookie]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
I read the book because WRITER'S DIGEST had a write up on it talking about how great it was. IT WASN'T. I thought it was disgusting.

It also place a permanent red flag in my head and whenever I see this author's name, I go the other way. It also told me that WD's opinion is not to be trusted, necessarily.

To me, this book was a total waste of paper...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved