The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 175 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#102833 - 01/12/07 01:51 PM Tell me Your Secret
TVC15 Offline

Loc: North Carolina
Authors,

I was wondering. How did you know your topic was right when you started your books, either fiction or non-fiction?

Was there an A Ha! moment? Or did you just start writing and everything fell into place after that?

Were you terrified when you started or confident?

I want to start a novel but there's something holding me back and I can't put my finger on it.
Not sure if I'm afraid of wasting so much time on something that could prove a failure or worse yet, not get finished at all.

Any and all thoughts would be appreciated!

#102834 - 01/12/07 02:15 PM Re: Tell me Your Secret [Re: TVC15]
Edelweiss Offline

Loc: American living in Europe
I don't know if I'm qualified to answer your question because I've never published a book, but I have completed my book of 100,000 words ( about 500 pages).

When I began typing my book, I had no idea where I was heading. I started off with some of my own personal experiences till the story seemed to take a life of its own. It entails adventure, romance, and suspense. I managed a climax and an ending. So if you really want to write, just start some topic that you think is interesting. They say it's easiest to write about something that you have experienced yourself. I would suggest doing that, and then use your fantasy. You'll be surprised what your brain can do…I was.

Edited by Hannelore (01/12/07 03:20 PM)

#102835 - 01/12/07 03:15 PM Re: Tell me Your Secret [Re: Edelweiss]
Vicki M. Taylor Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
Writing a book requires some kind of plan. Whether you're going to plot it out or start with an idea and let it develop as you write. If you're able, try to write a summary of your book. A synopsis. It doesn't have to be the "exact" thing that will develop in your book. Just what you think will happen now. When you're writing, things may change. Characters may do other things. You can change your synopsis.

Sometimes, people write chapter outlines. All of this will help you see if your story idea is developed enough to fulfill a book. These can change too, as you write and see in more detail how your book turns out.

One of the great ways to help our story idea develop, is to play the "what if" game. Start with your idea, then say "What if..." and ask yourself something like "what if I killed this character? What would happen next?" Then develop your story idea some more, then do the "what if" again. Each time putting your characters into dangerous or emotionally challenging situations. Give them obstacles to overcome. Goals to accomplish. A major character evolvement. Help them fight/resolve their outer conflict and their inner conflict.

Have you looked at the thread going on about Books on Writing? There are some really good books you can read that will help you determine if you're idea is ready for a story. I can't recommend "On Writing" by Stephen King enough. It's a great book.

I hope this helped.
Your Writing Coach
Writing Coach Blog

#102836 - 01/12/07 03:48 PM Re: Tell me Your Secret [Re: Vicki M. Taylor]
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
I was only terrified right before it was released on the market!

I say, just sit down and start writing and let the muse do the work for you. You'll be surprised what happens.

Boomer Queen of Shoes

#102837 - 01/12/07 04:14 PM Re: Tell me Your Secret [Re: Dianne]
Jane_Carroll Offline

Loc: Alabama
For me, writing was something that I had to do. I used to say that even if no one else ever read the book...it did me so much good to write it that it was worth every minute of it.

I still write a lot of stuff that I never do anything with, nor do I intend to...but the writing does me good. I love the way I put words together and the images that I create, even if they are just for me.

So that's one way of looking at it. It's not a waste of time if it's what you want to do. It's sort of like gardening...you spend a tremendous amount of time and effort and it all dies in the winter...but was it time wasted? Hardly, think of all the bouquets you enjoyed along the way!

I can't speak to laying out chapters and that kind of thing because Bertha evolved as I learned and thought about various life lessons...then we figured out how to place them in the book.

So, for me the questions to you would be..."Do you love to write? Is it your passion?" If you answer "Yes" then start writing. Learn as much from all of us as you can...but mostly follow your heart, at least for the first draft...then edit like a mad woman!

#102838 - 01/12/07 04:51 PM Re: Tell me Your Secret [Re: Jane_Carroll]
TVC15 Offline

Thanks for all of your answers.

Jane, I do write. It's just that I write short stories and essays. (and articles for my site) I really want to tackle a novel but can't seem to get it started.

Hannalore, of course you are qualified to answer my question. You've written a book. Thanks for your input.

Vicki,
The what if game might help me jump start a novel idea I've been mulling over, thanks.

I suppose I should do what Dianne suggested, just start the darn thing and see what happens.

#102839 - 01/12/07 06:45 PM Re: Tell me Your Secret [Re: TVC15]
Vicki M. Taylor Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
Jane, I write a lot of things that I haven't done anything with either. But they needed to be written. They burned inside of me until I got them out.

Starting a novel is just like starting a short story, you only write more. You develop more characterization. You can add subplots. I'd say you have more freedom in your writing.

Like Dianne said, your muse will guide you. The story is inside of you, just let it come out.
Your Writing Coach
Writing Coach Blog

#102840 - 01/12/07 08:59 PM Re: Tell me Your Secret [Re: Vicki M. Taylor]
TVC15 Offline

Thanks again Vicki!

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved