The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 110 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#10242 - 04/25/03 02:28 AM Fibromyalgia/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
swimbo56 Offline

Loc: Towson, MD
Hi, I got sick over 5 years ago and was eventually (6 months) dx with Chronic Fatigue and Fibromyalgia. I believe the CFS was mostly gone after 3 years, but I am left with the Fibromyalgia. In retrospect my husband and I even believe that the Fibromyalgia may actually have begun 2 years prior to the CFS. Is there anyone else out there with one or both of these? If so, what have you done that helps and how are you doing now? I am mostly bothered by brain mysfunction, lack of energy, and soreness, as well as much disturbed sleep.

#10243 - 04/25/03 05:24 PM Re: Fibromyalgia/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
I know someone with both and she has found exercise to be extremely helpful. Problem is she doesn't always have the energy to do it but when she does she always feels better.

As far as pain goes, she has started using these heating pads you can buy and adhere to your body. That way she walks around with them on and can go about her business to a certain degree. I don't know how expensive they are, or how long they last, but you can get them at your local pharmacy.

#10244 - 04/25/03 05:30 PM Re: Fibromyalgia/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
Candice Johnson Offline

Loc: Alexandria, VA
I use those heating pads for cramps. It's great. They adhere really well so you don't have to worry about it falling off. They last a long time too. They aren't that expensive and they're right with the Ben Gay and Aspercream stuff in the CVS.

[ April 25, 2003, 10:30 AM: Message edited by: Candice Johnson ]

#10245 - 04/25/03 05:50 PM Re: Fibromyalgia/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
swimbo56 Offline

Thanks for replying. the hot pad stuff would be nice, and as a massage therapist I have several already. I have found, especially from the beginning that exercising in a heated pool works best, and the hot tub after is great. Also hot baths at home are always relaxing especially with candles and music. However hot pads are out as I have the added problem of hot flashes and seem to be perenially HOT!! Anyone else with Fibromyalgia, I'd love to chat with you.

#10246 - 04/27/03 01:23 AM Re: Fibromyalgia/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
Kelly L. Adams Stone Offline

Loc: Florida
I have had something similar to CFS/Fibromyalgia for years now altho cannot find a doctor to formally diagnose me. I have the brain "fog", the chronic pain, and excessive fatigue as in I can get up from sleeping literally 12 hours and still be exhausted. It's terrible.

Anyway, there's a new book out called Adrenal Fatigue: The 21st Century Disease. It's GREAT. I highly recommend it. I have also been taking vitamin and adrenal gland supplements purchased off the author's web site and they WORK. I have more energy and stamina than I have had in a long time. Of course, I also have to watch what I eat (no sugar) and have to take care of myself by not getting stressed out (lots of luck on that one) and in general taking it easy. I am definitely a type A personality so I have had to calm myself down a bit.

I know so many women who have this disorder. There has got to be an environmental factor to it. I find that massage helps also.

Kelly

#10247 - 05/09/03 06:37 PM Re: Fibromyalgia/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
swimbo56 Offline

Getting sick 5 1/2 yrs ago, it took 6 mo. to dx. Then in the fall I saw a nutrionist and she had me read The Yeast Connection. I then fasted, and added back foods slowly, also taking a yeast killer. Was only eating organic foods, no milk, only soy, etc. Did it 3x, didn't have any effect, but worth a try to anyone else with the problem, just incase.... Just a thought. Actually found that exercise is the major key, even if it is just out to the driveway and back on a particularly "bad" day. The days that a 2 mile walk works, all the better. First started exercising in the heated pool, water exercises. Do find that meditation and I chi(?sp) in the water are my favorites. The dog enjoys the walks. More later...

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved