The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 119 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#10235 - 04/18/03 05:44 AM parathyroid
caloona Offline

Loc: baltimore
Does anyone know anyone who has had their parathyroid removed? I found out last week I have to have mine removed and I'm dubious about it all.Apparently if I don't have it taken out it will lead to osteoprosis rapidly.(Too much calcium in the blood).Would appreciate anything.

#10236 - 04/21/03 02:54 PM Re: parathyroid
Kathryn Offline

Loc: Towson
My aunt recently had her thyroid removed, I don't know if the parathyroid and the thyroid are the same thing. But immediately following the surgery she felt pretty awful because there was a delay in getting her started on the synthetic hormone to replace those produced by the thyroid. Once she was on the correct level of medication she felt great. The most important thing after removal is to be sure to have your blood levels checked very regularly as the meds need to be adjusted from time to time. At the first sign of symptoms like irritability, fatigue etc. you must have your levels checked as a med
adjustment might be needed.

#10237 - 04/22/03 05:17 AM Re: parathyroid
caloona Offline

Thanks Kathryn,. Actually The parathyroid is on the thyroids.It's a benign "tumor" that "sucks the calcium out of your bones and causes high levels of calcium in the blood. It can be responsible for confusion,memory loss,fatigue,muscle aches.Some thing the size of a pea can do all that! Don't have to take meds after, but it was me telling my doctor these symptoms that gave him reason to check for this. I just want to make sure surgery is the only alternative. Websites seem to say so.Right now I'm scheduled for May 16-if I can find a substitute for a week. So please pray.

#10238 - 04/22/03 03:42 PM Re: parathyroid
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Gotcha on my prayer list. Remember not to worry. [Eek!] God is in control. [Wink]

Must have the Forum Girl's Night Out before then so you can make it! [Big Grin]

#10239 - 04/22/03 03:44 PM Re: parathyroid
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Caloona, I forgot to mention what a great doctor you must have. I am glad he listened to your symptons and came up with the proper diagnosis! I am sure there are women running around out there with the same symptoms undiagnosed and frustrated!

#10240 - 05/13/03 06:38 PM Re: parathyroid
swimbo56 Offline

Loc: Towson, MD
Just wanted to wish Caloona the best on Friday and during her recooperation. I am thinking about you.

#10241 - 05/18/03 06:15 AM Re: parathyroid
caloona Offline

Thanks so much for the thoughts and prayers.
I am home and doing well.Apparently, within 10 minutes of removing the pararhyroid the hormone numbers went to normal so they could sew me up.Amazing! I had no idea that the thyroid had control over so much.
And,yes,Dotsie, I was going to call my primary physician and thank him for being so willing to keep looking for "what ailed me".I'll put my feet up while correcting exams.
Thanks again for the caring,it feels good.

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved