The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 105 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#101892 - 01/08/07 12:27 AM Re: gardening question [Re: ]
Jane_Carroll Offline

Loc: Alabama
Dotsie,

Our daffodils usually bloom before our coldest weather. When my oldest was a baby we took movies of me holding her in the rock garden surrounded by daffodils (buttercups as we call them) then the next week we took movies of me holding her in the rock garden surrounded by daffodils and snow!

I haven't seen any blooming here yet...but I've got my eye out for them!

#101893 - 01/08/07 01:40 AM Re: gardening question [Re: ]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Tonight my local ETV/PBS channel ran an episode on global warming wherein heat waves and periods of unusually warm weather, ocean warming, sea-level rise and coastal flooding, melting glaciers, artic and antartic warming all contribute. Sadly, global warming causes:

Spreading disease
Earlier spring arrival
Plant and animal range shifts and population changes
Coral reef bleaching
Downpours, heavy snowfalls, and flooding
Droughts and fires

Additionally, the show indicated several ways in which to conserve energy and slow the process of global warming; i.e., hybrid vehicles, construction practices for both commercial and residential, and as simple as switching light bulbs and planting trees. Sorry, I really got into it!

#101894 - 01/08/07 10:43 PM Re: gardening question [Re: ]
TVC15 Offline

Loc: North Carolina
Hi Dotsie,
I did a little (tiny) research and all I could come up with was a study done at a botanical garden in Europe that said two thirds of plants will be effected by unusual weather patterns.
You've got me curious so I'm going to look into this further, when I've got more time. I'll let you know what I find out.
As far as my own past experience, most of mine have come through okay (talking about when I lived in NY) but I can't remember a crazier year for weather than we are having now. I do remember losing some tulips one year though after a late snow storm.
Nothing here in NC seems to be being effected oddly YET. My daffoldils have sprouted but aren't blooming.

#101896 - 01/09/07 10:38 AM Re: gardening question [Re: ]
dejavu Offline
journeyman

TVC15 - I'm in NC too, north of Charlotte. Some of my daffodils sprouted too, so I'll be watching to see if they all die or if I have any come spring.

Today the temps are going to be much lower, but yesterday was really pretty, if breezy.

#101897 - 01/09/07 12:43 PM Re: gardening question [Re: dejavu]
CrosstitchQueen Offline

Loc: Sanford, Florida
Down here in Florida everything's blooming and I mean EVERYTHING. My azaleas are going nuts, impatiens are colorful all over the yard, sweet potato vine is taking over.........everybody's bringing me oranges and tangerines off their trees.

#101898 - 01/09/07 02:03 PM Re: gardening question [Re: CrosstitchQueen]
TVC15 Offline

Loc: North Carolina
Hey dejavu,
We're practically neighbors...LOL
I'm just outside of Raleigh. We had rain yesterday morning.

#101899 - 01/09/07 08:55 PM Re: gardening question [Re: ]
Jeannine Offline

Loc: Georgia, U.S.
MustangGal, remember when all that about the ozone layer, and global warming was hooted at, thought to be some half-baked notion, cooked up by radical environmentalists?

About twenty-five years ago, a fellow sun-worshipper and I agreed on something...we, each of us, independently, came to the realization the sunbathing experience had become different, the sunlight seemed to have become a bit more intense, than we remembered it being, in years past. I was thirty, and my first thought was that perhaps it was my age, that affected my judgement. My friend was twenty, and she told me she didin't think it had a thing to do with age. When we mentioned this to others, you can imagine the laughs we received. But, I was convinced something was different, and I became less of an all day sun-worshipper, and more careful, when out.

Daffodils are up here in the Atlanta area, and they have been sprouting earlier and earlier every year. Yes, we are warmer here, during the winter, but I've spoken to life-long residents of the area, and they agree, the springs are arriving far earlier than in decades past.

[i]'It's never too late in Fiction-- or in Life to Revise.'
---Nancy Thayer

#101900 - 01/10/07 02:23 AM Re: gardening question [Re: Jeannine]
dejavu Offline
journeyman

Well, cooler temperatures and WIND have arrived.

#101901 - 01/11/07 02:17 AM Re: gardening question [Re: dejavu]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Dejavu & TVC15, during the late '90s I lived in Fort Mill, SC, while working off Arrowood/I-77. SouthPark is my favorite mall and at least once a year I drive to shop -- if you're ever in the shopping mood, please do contact me and we could shop and have lunch at the Cheesecake Factory!

Jeannine, I know, I know, that is the reason why I no longer perm my hair, rarely use hairspray, recycle, and p/u trash -- Mother Earth cannot always protect Herself!

My mother's neighbor bakes herself in tanning machines, she is dark mahogony, up close you can see deep creases, broken capillaries, etc. Her face looks like a weathered old glove! Ladies, please don't bake a tan, just shake using a bottle of tanning lotion!

#101902 - 01/11/07 11:02 PM Re: gardening question [Re: ]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Thanks for checking for me TVC. It has gotten colder and I'm afraid we might have a freeze and lose these flowers for the season, meaning the spring season too. ALl the flowers are confused. Heck, so am I. Both our boys go to school in the south. The whole time they were home for the holidays, the temps were at least about 45, nearing 70. And they wanted snow...

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved