The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 174 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#101882 - 01/06/07 10:34 PM gardening question
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
We are having an unusually warm winter in Baltimore. Forsythia is blooming. We also have blossoms on our star magnolia tree. A friend has a few bulbs peeking through.

I'm wondering if we get a freeze any time soon, will the star magnolia not blossom this year? Anyone know?

#101883 - 01/06/07 11:35 PM Re: gardening question
Eagle Heart Offline

Loc: Canada
I don't know about magnolia trees, but I'm worried about my garden. We've had very warm weather here lately (we're usually into a deep freeze by now), and the bulbs/perennials are clearly confused. Some of them are poking themselves out of the earth already, and I'm sure we're going to lose a lot of them when winter finally hits! But maybe someone who's been gardening longer will know if that's the prognosis - do these perennials recover from such crazy weather?

(Maya Angelou)

#101884 - 01/07/07 10:40 AM Re: gardening question [Re: Eagle Heart]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
I don't know of any flower hit with a late freeze that bounces back. Usually not for another year, unless a bulb, then you have to plant new bulbs...The feeeze rots them.

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#101885 - 01/07/07 02:16 PM Re: gardening question [Re: chatty lady]
Jane_Carroll Offline

Loc: Alabama
I'm not sure either, but I think it will be next year. Although, mother nature is pretty amazing. Hurricane Ivan hit in September and blew all the leaves off my roses and many other plants and trees, amazingly they put right back on just like it was spring. My roses were the absolute most beautiful ever that fall. Then the trees were confused and didn't know when to lose those new leaves but by spring everything was worked out again. So who knows!

#101886 - 01/07/07 03:46 PM Re: gardening question [Re: Jane_Carroll]
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
Dots, I believe it will bloom again. Our plants and trees have a way of working with Mother Nature. For plants, cover them with straw or snow, if you can find it, and that will slow the new growth.

Boomer Queen of Shoes

#101887 - 01/07/07 04:36 PM Re: gardening question [Re: Dianne]
Edelweiss Offline

Loc: American living in Europe
You could order some artificial snow?! Hah! No joke. A family did that near us. They wanted a white Christmas, and ordered snow blowers for their house and garden.
Some people have just too much money.

#101888 - 01/07/07 05:29 PM Re: gardening question [Re: Edelweiss]
Anonymous
Unregistered

The weather has been crazy! Warm here in SC all last week, now it's raining cats & dawgs mixed with hail.

#101889 - 01/07/07 06:30 PM Re: gardening question [Re: ]
Lola Offline

Loc: London UK
We have been experiencing an unusually warm winter in London as well. I don't have magnolias but I'm sure the daffs, crocus will sprout sooner than expected as it had last year if the temps (50's) continue to be so. However, they predict a cold set late this month.

My garden has survived cold winters so, Im not worried about that. What is worrying is a very hot summer which they have warned will be hotter than last year and should break records. In anticipation of that and a hose pipe ban, I have bought plastic barrels which are filling up with rainwater. There is nothing I can do for the garden now but I'd like to be able to save it from getting scorched in the summertime.

#101890 - 01/07/07 07:58 PM Re: gardening question [Re: Lola]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
The daffodils in front of our church are in full bloom. I've never witnessed anything like this. It's January for heaven's sake...in Maryland!

Looks like all of us are experiencing odd weather conditions. I'm not complaining because I love warm weather, but I don't want it messing with my garden.

#101891 - 01/07/07 09:03 PM Re: gardening question
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'm a bit worried about summer, the lack of cold weather = mosquitos and higher energy bills due to heat.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved