The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 173 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#10185 - 10/19/02 09:29 PM Missing work from illness
boomersis Offline

Loc: Maryland
I find that I can be very compassionate when family members are sick. However, when someone that works for me is sick, I don't show much sympathy. I don't really want to be mean to them, but I just want them back to work. Does anyone else struggle with this? I have some wonderful people that work for me and I do not want to send the message that I do not care about them.

[ October 19, 2002, 02:30 PM: Message edited by: boomersis ]

#10186 - 11/17/02 05:52 AM Re: Missing work from illness
Dixiechick Offline

I can understand how you would feel when an employee misses work. It's often difficult for us to separate our compassionate selves to that part of us that feels very inconvenienced by a worker's illness. We can be both sympthetic and empathetic when it comes to our family members not only because they are family but because we are usully not put out by their illnesses. I would suggest that you try to remember that if they remained at work while ill their job performance would be sorely lacking and you would be inconvenienced by that. On the bright side, perhaps it is because they do their jobs so well that you have trouble handling their being absent. At whatever rate, upon their return to work, let them know how much they were missed. A little praise could go a long way. [Smile]

#10187 - 11/19/02 08:09 AM Re: Missing work from illness
nillawafer Offline

Loc: new orleans
My whole thing is the "cal ripkin" attidutde. i am never sick from work! so why should other people be? i can not help it. good god.. i mean.. the reason i have a hard time being compassionate is how sick do you really have to be to actually stay at home and miss work? i am thinking very sick. i think this comes from my catholic school upbringing where unless you were throwing up and had a fever of over 100 something the nurse never even called your mom to come and get you. come on .....be a die hard employee... it gets you further in life!!!!

#10188 - 11/20/02 04:41 AM Re: Missing work from illness
Micki Offline

Loc: Linthicum, MD
I just got my CDL license in October and am dringing for First Student, a school bus service. I take this job (as I have every one I have ever had) VERY seriously. I would have to be on death's door to call in and not have a driver available for a bus run to take thses kids to school. We have off all school holidays and all summmer, so we don't get "vacations" anyway, but jeez, take the time to do your personal stuff when it's "downtime" for your school kids. And I had a cold and flu from the very first day I stepped on the bus until last week and didn't miss any time at all, yet EVERY day, we have three or four drivers and three or four aides call in sick or "personal problems", or worse, they just don't show up or call in. Makes the day really interesting for the rest of us, let me tell you. And I just don't understand that mentality at all. Maybe we are just cut from a different cloth, huh??? [Embarrassed]

#10189 - 11/20/02 05:30 AM Re: Missing work from illness
Dotsie Offline
Founder

I have children in three different schools. I am forever amazed at the number of substitute teachers they have in a week. In fact, my son had one today for science. While I am one who now works from home, I must say that whenever I had to report to work, I was there. I think it goes back to that Catholic school thing that someone else mentioned on another board...the nurse didn't consider us sick unless we had a high fever or were on our death beds. From that we learned that we had to take a lickin' and keep on tickin'.

#10190 - 11/20/02 10:23 PM Re: Missing work from illness
Candice Johnson Offline

Loc: Alexandria, VA
I think it all has to with your perspective about work. At my office I get four weeks paid vacation, the week between Christmas and New Years off as a bonus, and more sick time then I could possibly tell you. (I have over 100 hours accumulated over 2.5 years of being here and that is with taking sick leave for two deaths and numerous medical emegencies.) Our company would rather give you the opportunity to take time off to do what you need to do.

If I want to take time off for mental health, physical health, or just to get stuff done at my house, that's my choice. I have the time and I'm going to take it. I always get my work done and I am not inconveniencing anyone else. No one wants us here when we are sick anyway because no one wants to take stuff home to their kids.

I also think that the relationships you have with your coworkers also makes time off a little easier. We all pitch in when someone is out for planned or unexpected leave. When my coworker's little baby had to go trhough all her tests and then surgery, we just pitched in. No one complained about how they are always here no matter what they're going through. We all just did it. Later in the summer, the favor was returned to me when I took a week and a half when my grandmother died and my mom was in the hospital. Everyone took care of things. We also do the same thing for vacations because we know that we all want to be able to take time off and enjoy ourselves and come back rested. Keeping tabs on who is and isn't in at work and for what reasons is a big waste of time at work.

#10191 - 11/22/02 09:20 PM Re: Missing work from illness
nillawafer Offline

Loc: new orleans
i find candace's perspective interesting. the former posts are griping about sickies whereas hers is not. she has the pitch in and help attitude. like it is not a big deal. is it a generational thing girls? are we having a boomer braeakthrough?!?!!?

#10192 - 11/22/02 11:20 PM Re: Missing work from illness
Dotsie Offline
Founder

I am also wondering if this is a boomer break-through. Curious to know the ages of most of the people that Candice works with. I think she has it made. Working in an environment like that is so much healthier. Don't you think? So much for all the ranting of raving of the boomer women. Sounds like there could be a better way to go about this! Is it a generational thing? What does everyone else think?

#10193 - 11/23/02 12:03 AM Re: Missing work from illness
Candice Johnson Offline

Loc: Alexandria, VA
Actually you all might find this really interesting because the people I work with range in age from 75 to 25. (I'm the baby.) Actually there isn't a baby-boomer among us. I do believe it is a generational thing, but I believe it is actually something I learned from the older people I work with. My boss, who is in his 70's, is definitely of the philosophy that it all gets done and there is no need to stress over it. I think he is wiser about what is more important in the work place and in life, and we benefit from it. I believe we all value the fact that where we work understands that sometimes being away from the office to take care of the things we need to take care of in our lives makes us more productive when we are at work.

Another fun thing about my job. Although he ended up not taking it, a co-worker of mine would have been allowed to take two months "paternity" leave when his baby was born. Some of it unpaid, but still. Does anyone else know of places where not only moms, but dads can do that? The reason why he could do it is becuse federal law doesn't specify that it has to be because you gave birth that your employer must give you the opportunity to take extended leave witout losing your job. A woman who worked here several years ago took it when she adopted.

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved