The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 159 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#101640 - 01/04/07 03:10 PM Numbers Down
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
Read a short newspaper article on the flight to NV that said dv rates are actually down this last year. Maybe all of this education and speaking out are finally working!

Boomer Queen of Shoes

#101641 - 01/04/07 03:58 PM Re: Numbers Down [Re: Dianne]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
And YOU are one of the main catalyst for the drop in rates. That has to make your heart swell. Thank you for all you do Dianne.

#101642 - 01/04/07 07:45 PM Re: Numbers Down [Re: jawjaw]
Lola Offline

Loc: London UK
May it continue to drop, Dianne. I think attitude towards DV is now changing because of all the information and support that is now available. As JJ said, YOU are one of the catalyst.

#101643 - 01/04/07 07:55 PM Re: Numbers Down [Re: Lola]
Jane_Carroll Offline

Loc: Alabama
That is wonderful! Yea!

#101644 - 01/04/07 08:21 PM Re: Numbers Down [Re: Jane_Carroll]
Anno Offline

Loc: Minneapolis Minnesota
Great news! You must be smiling all over knowing that you played a big part in this news.

I wonder with all the information available, more arrests and stronger sentencing, if some men are beginning to change? I hope so.

#101645 - 01/04/07 08:28 PM Re: Numbers Down [Re: Anno]
Lola Offline

You'd be surprised at the attitude in London, Anno. From what I have witnessed, men are the ones who would come to the aid of any woman being accosted by their partner in public.

#101646 - 01/04/07 09:16 PM Re: Numbers Down [Re: Lola]
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Lola, I've worked with WAFE in England and the male response to dv is not very good. They have a very strong group of men who really fight the system. Most of the advocates (female) are scared to death of them!

Boomer Queen of Shoes

#101647 - 01/04/07 09:42 PM Re: Numbers Down [Re: Dianne]
Lola Offline

Thanks for the info, Dianne. By any chance, would the men who fight the system be the offenders? Those I have witnessed were of bystanders who took it upon themselves to stop the attacks on women in public whether verbally or physically (slaps in the face). I dread to imagine what goes on behind closed doors. And shamefully, I must admit, I am one of those women easily frightened by these bullies.

#101648 - 01/04/07 10:23 PM Re: Numbers Down [Re: Lola]
Anno Offline

No shame there, Lola.

Bystanders that step up can make quite a difference. Generally, bystanders are part of the problem in cases of bullying. Glad to hear that you have seen bystanders that take a positive stand.

What is WAFE?

#101649 - 01/05/07 02:34 AM Re: Numbers Down [Re: Anno]
Princess Lenora Offline

Loc: Colorado
One of the reasons the numbers are down may be that in some states, someone goes to jail. Say a couple is in the throes of DV, and someone from the house calls the cops. The cops go to the house, and one of them goes to jail. If there is a call, there is a trip to jail. Sometimes the woman who has been beaten goes to jail. I've seen women at the DV agency covered with bruises, who came to the agency after spending a night in the cell. The call was made during the DV, the cops get to the house, the real offender is way too clever in talking his way out of it, she won't press charges on him, so HE presses charges on HER, and she, the victim goes to jail. At the agency I hear that women don't report becauase of the ramifications. Reporting is where the numbers come from. Numbers have nothing to do with real world DV. Women hide, run, live in their cars, live on the streets, or put up with DV because HE has not stopped. I'm sorry to be so cynical. In the USA versus UK, I wouldn't dare stand up to a bully because here, anyone could pull out a gun at any time.

#101650 - 01/05/07 06:31 AM Re: Numbers Down [Re: Princess Lenora]
Lola Offline

You're quite right, Princess Lenora. I would like to think that a gun-free culture in the UK in some way assists the officious bystander.

#101651 - 01/05/07 07:39 AM Re: Numbers Down [Re: Princess Lenora]
Lola Offline

Anno, WAFE is a women's aid organisation for England which advocates against DV and child abuse.

#101652 - 01/05/07 09:06 AM Re: Numbers Down [Re: Princess Lenora]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
DV may be down in some areas, but I believe not because men have stopped abusing but because more and more women are running from their abusers. They see and hear from so many sources, other women that there is 'NO' hope for an abuser so they run and thats maybe why its down, if in fact it is...

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#101653 - 01/05/07 09:55 AM Re: Numbers Down [Re: chatty lady]
smilinize Offline

Loc: outer space
I agree with chatty. Assuming the DV rates truly are down, I think increased awareness resulting from books like Dianne's and others is a factor. Increased economic independence which enables more women to leave and better law enforcement is probably important also. Maybe DV will someday be completely eliminated from our world. Hopefully in our lifetime.
smile

#101654 - 01/05/07 03:38 PM Re: Numbers Down [Re: smilinize]
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

We're getting more and more resources for battered women too. I think the public is slowly understanding what goes on in these relationships and actually will try to help a woman who has fled. More and more judges have to answer to why they didn't help the victim. This is because of email campaigns, etc. that can target a bad judge...I've started a few in my day.

We have to remember that men are also abused and we look down on them like they are either lying or something else. I received a very long email from a man who has been verbally and physically abused by his wife for eight years. He would never hit her back but tried to deflect her blows. He called the police and they told him to leave or hide in the bathroom all night. She should have been arrested.

Boomer Queen of Shoes

#101655 - 01/06/07 02:18 PM Re: Numbers Down [Re: Dianne]
Anno Offline

I have a question that was prompted by Dianne's statement that men are abused, too. (I have seen this first hand and it is very hard for men, also).

When people use the word Domestic Violence, are they referring mainly to spousal abuse, or would this include child abuse, too?

#101656 - 01/06/07 10:12 PM Re: Numbers Down [Re: Anno]
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Child abuse is usually listed in another category. Minors vs adults.

When we see the stats on dv, they include every abuse, not just physical. So, not 4 million women are being beaten but are also and including sexually, verbally, financially abused.

Boomer Queen of Shoes

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved