The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 169 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#101347 - 01/06/07 03:59 PM Re: New Year good luck food [Re: jawjaw]
TVC15 Offline

Loc: North Carolina
Yes, I do JJ.
The one I bought not only contained recipes but information about their culture too. It was written by a Canadian woman who married a Georgian man and then went to live there.
My FIL didn't share much with us about Georgian ways, but when the cousins came we learned a lot and the book has filled in a lot of the blanks for me.
My MIL is from Italy and so the family mostly followed the Italian traditions.
On my side, we're like Heinz 57 varieties!

PS: the country is so small that hardly anyone has ever even heard of it. My son has, more than once, had to point it out on a map for his teachers!

Edited by TVC15 (01/06/07 04:00 PM)

#101348 - 02/12/07 01:25 AM Re: New Year good luck food [Re: TVC15]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
I love pickled herring. Addictive.

As for collards...is that the same family as mustard greens? I eat alot of the fresh veggie stuff (cooked) from the Asian side, gai-lan, you choy, Shanghai bok choy, bok choy, etc. Some of the stuff is rich in all sorts of nutrients...that I never knew until a few years ago.

As for good luck food, we have seaweed soup, Chinese word is homonym on millionaire, hence eating it for prosperity. Yes, I do like seaweed...many types out there. It tastes like a fine linguine. That's all. If you like seafood, you will like sea vegetables, 'coz that's what it is.

#101349 - 02/12/07 06:02 AM Re: New Year good luck food [Re: orchid]
gims Offline

Loc: USA
I am floored that so few of you like greens.
I'm thinking you haven't had them prepared properly. We mix them - mustards, collards and turnips. One of our favorite Christmas (not New Year) fares. For New Year we have green cabbage along with our black eyed peas. We also put our quarter over the doorsill. Mine fell down almost immediately after I placed it on the sill next to last years. It did so because my DH had to look out at some of the fireworks our neighbors were setting off at midnight. I took a piece of tape and taped it back up!

#101350 - 02/12/07 12:04 PM Re: New Year good luck food [Re: gims]
chickadee Offline

Loc: Alabama
Never heard the quarter over rthe door deal before.
i love anything green and leafy. I remember pulling tender young turnip tops from the garden as a kid and Ummm Ummm they were good.

TVC, where in Canada was she from, any idea?

chick

#101351 - 02/13/07 07:12 AM Re: New Year good luck food [Re: chickadee]
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
Since I eat mostly vegetarian, I'm up for most greens, except okra which I could never develop a taste for.

Orchid, I call that stuff "whatever choy" because I get whatever is on sale at the local Asian market but then can't remember what it's called when I get home LOL! Doesn't really matter, because everything in our house is stir fried regardless. I work at the farmers' market, and often take home surplus ("Here -- take home SIX bunches of mystery greens!") --- and they have names in a variety of languages which I don't remember either. My husband isn't terribly fond of greens, so when he asks "What is this?" I'll tell him it goes in stir-fry, which he seems to accept. -- even if the farmer told me it's used for Vietnamese soups, because Hubbo won't eat my veggie soups.

Sometimes I cook the greens for myself. Nuke them, and add feta cheese, dried cranberries and walnuts.

Poet and essayist

#101352 - 02/13/07 06:36 PM Re: New Year good luck food [Re: meredithbead]
chickadee Offline

Loc: Alabama
Meredith, I can't do okra but I was introduced to pickled okra and it is really good. I could eat the whole bottle but limit myself to 3 pieces as a side with soup and sandwich.

What do you use to stirfry? Oil or broth?

How long do you nuke the greens? Sounds delicious.

chick

#101353 - 02/14/07 05:22 AM Re: New Year good luck food [Re: meredithbead]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
Quote:

I work at the farmers' market, and often take home surplus ("Here -- take home SIX bunches of mystery greens!") --- and they have names in a variety of languages which I don't remember either. My husband isn't terribly fond of greens, so when he asks "What is this?" I'll tell him it goes in stir-fry, which he seems to accept. -- even if the farmer told me it's used for Vietnamese soups, because Hubbo won't eat my veggie soups.

Sometimes I cook the greens for myself. Nuke them, and add feta cheese, dried cranberries and walnuts.

Great that he likes them fine also. Very healthy. Well, if you ever get offered bitter melon, just stir fry abit of it , you might want to soften the bitter zing with tofu.. It's high in lypocene.

Or fuzzy green melon is a tamer choice ...for savoury dishes..again stir fry.

True..I've eaten alot of different Asian greens that I don't even know English and Chinese names for 1/2 of what I eat....but I trusted dear momma to nurture us, feed us well.

If I eat too much roasted or baked veggies, I feel my ying-yang balance out of whack. So greens (and fresh fruit) always solve my problems.

There's a great recipe that we make that is a Swiss chard-spinach with feta cheese pie in phyllo crust. YOu ought to try using frozen phyllo sheets from store...just makes wonderful coverings for savory or sweet healthy things!

His daughter is starting to complain when she visits us..another different phyllo dish.

So easy to use phyllo yet with elegant, light results!

#101354 - 02/14/07 06:21 AM Re: New Year good luck food [Re: orchid]
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
Chick, I was introduced to okra when we lived in Oklahoma for 2 years. I was at a meeting pot-luck for new faculty wives, the talk was recipes, and EVERY recipe was okra-this and okra-that. I'm surprised no one brought okra ice cream or okra cake, because they put it in everything else. I took some recipes and tried them at home, but no matter how I cooked it, it still tasted like ... okra. I think it's an Oklahoma thing, because I've never seen much done with okra anywhere else. And I don't like pickles much, so pickling okra might just be too much of two bad things.

I stir-fry with a little canola oil and sometimes soy sauce. I may/may not add more sauce later. My cooking is an ethnic mishmosh, although my spice palate tends more towards Indian.

How long I nuke something depends on quantity and thickness. Thin leafy greens get only 3 minutes. Harder green veggies maybe 5-10.

Orchid, I got bitter melon once, and whatever I did with it, it was still too bitter for my tastes. Same farmer gave me fuzzy green melon as well, which I salted and stir-fried. I thought it was OK but not great, and Hubbo took one tiny bite and refused to eat it.

I eat one meal a day which is basically veggies and grain or rice. Usually dinner. Lunch typically is a generous amount of fruit(s) with maybe yogurt or nuts.

I've thought about using phyllo but it seems beyond my culinary skills.

When I went away to college, I didn't know the English names for half the foods my mother made. Which was bad, because I kept insisting to my friends and those kind clerks at the grocery store that those WERE English names, because our family always spoke English. Except for food, which had Yiddish names in our house, which I thought were English. DUH!

Poet and essayist

#101355 - 02/14/07 02:22 PM Re: New Year good luck food [Re: meredithbead]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Meredith, feta and nuts, now you're talking. I love cheese and nuts with veggies. YUM!

orchid, I have a Greek friend who makes wonderful spinach pie with phyllo dough. It also has feta cheese in it.

#101356 - 02/14/07 10:10 PM Re: New Year good luck food
TVC15 Offline

Loc: North Carolina
Chick
I lost track of this post.
The back of the book says she divides her time between, Georgia and Vancouver, British Columbia.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved