The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 154 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 ... 15 16 >
Topic Options
#101114 - 01/01/07 03:15 PM Let's Walk Daily
Anno Offline

Loc: Minneapolis Minnesota
It sounds like a few of us have resolved to walk more this year. I thought it might be fun to record how much we have walked, what we see when we are walking and how we are feeling about our daily walks. Anyone care to join me in journaling your walks?
Ann

#101115 - 01/01/07 04:01 PM Re: Let's Walk Daily [Re: Anno]
yonuh Offline

Loc: Arizona
Anno, what a great idea! I would love to journal like this. But I won't be walking today as I'm still battling a head cold. Tomorrow it's back to work so I plan to walk after I get home - it's way too dark and cold in the mornings - if I feel better.
http://sablewings.wordpress.com/

#101116 - 01/01/07 05:43 PM Re: Let's Walk Daily [Re: yonuh]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
Cool idea! Maybe by journaling, I would be more diligent in my walks. Count me in. What's the instructions?

#101117 - 01/01/07 06:02 PM Re: Let's Walk Daily [Re: jawjaw]
Anno Offline

No instructions that I can think of, up to anyone who wants to journal. Here is mine for the day.

My first walk of the New Year. I saw my first snowman of the winter. (Yes, I live in Minnesota, but we have not had cold weather or snow until last night. Amazing) He, the snowman, was a cutie. Had a flower pot on his head for a hat and arms of evergreen branches.

Families were out tobagganing and cross country skiers at the golf course. Two weeks ago there were golfers and now skiiers. Life in Minnesota can be interesting.

I noticed, that because I was going to return to journal here, that I noticed more and I walked longer. Looking forward to hear about walks all around the world.

Ann

#101118 - 01/01/07 06:08 PM Re: Let's Walk Daily [Re: Anno]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Great! I'll post as soon as I walk today. I like this. It's freeing...sort of. A place to come and say, "I did it!" A reward of sorts..yes?

#101119 - 01/01/07 06:30 PM Re: Let's Walk Daily [Re: jawjaw]
Anno Offline

Yes! Celebrating ourselves and our successes!

#101120 - 01/01/07 06:36 PM Re: Let's Walk Daily [Re: jawjaw]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Ah ha, I didn't even know about this post and I just got back from a teeny bit of an hour-plus walk with a girlfriend. She lives down the street and we walk often. Even though it was misting when we started, rained for part of the walk, then stopped near the end, it was refreshing.

We have a few routes that we've done in the past but lately, due to my knee, we've been weaving in and out of the neighborhood streets nearby just in case I need to stop. Today we also wandered through town and around the courthouse, then called it quits.

Ann, great idea for a topic. I will definitely record my walks. This should make it more fun and interesting. I'll look forward to hearing about where others walk.

Tomorrow, I'm hitting the mall early to walk with another friend. Now that my leg is feeling a bit better, I want to walk off the pounds I've gained since injuring it in August. I weigh more now that I ever have in my life. How many other women can say that? That included when I was pregnant. ACK!

#101121 - 01/01/07 06:41 PM Re: Let's Walk Daily
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

I would tell you, but then I'd have to cut out your tongue and break all your fingers....

In high school we learned a new phrase....confess only to the priest.

#101122 - 01/02/07 07:41 AM Re: Let's Walk Daily [Re: jawjaw]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
I can relate Dotsie, I lost weight when pregnant the second time and was skinny. I am fatter now than I ever was in my entire life, thats what 'bad marriage' stress will do for you. Then those bad habits are hard to break. I plan on walking too and bought a pedometer. Should we post here daily like in the diet section, or just journal our progress....?

Edited by chatty lady (01/02/07 07:43 AM)

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#101123 - 01/02/07 09:31 AM Re: Let's Walk Daily [Re: chatty lady]
Edelweiss Offline

Loc: American living in Europe
I love walking, but need to go somewhere new all the time. Hubby and I often pop into the car and walk somewhere we've never been before. I think it makes it more interesting, and you can't get home that fast.
We measure in kilometers here...hmmm anyway we try to walk at least 5 kilometers, that's 1.6 kilometers in one mile. so that makes; ? Where is my calculator? Okay that's 3.1 miles, takes about 45 minutes (brisk walking). I try to do this at least every other day.

#101124 - 01/02/07 12:49 PM Re: Let's Walk Daily [Re: Edelweiss]
Anno Offline

Hannelore that is great! We have a lake a few block from our home with walking paths around it. It is 3.2 miles and add the blocks from home it is almost 4.2 miles. Takes me an hour when I hustle. I just don't do it often enough.

Chatty - post your progress. I usually think in minutes, not miles. I will post my minutes after I finish today.

Dotisie, JJ and Chatty - me too. I weighed myself after I returned from vacation and was shocked at how much I weighed. I am determined to have it off in three months. I will only be telling myself how much I weigh, though.

#101125 - 01/02/07 02:39 PM Re: Let's Walk Daily [Re: Anno]
Jane_Carroll Offline

Yeah, me too! I like the idea of journaling the walk...fits right in with my resolve to enjoy whatever I am doing. I took a long walk on Friday around the neighborhood. I especially like to do this in the spring when all the plants are turning green and people are working in their yards. Sometimes I imagine what they were thinking when they did certain things. I don't mean that in a critical way...but more in a curious writer kind of way...were they happy the day they bought those plants or were they sad and thought the plants might cheer them up or were the plants a gift...why did they choose begonias over petunias...that kind of thing...makes for interesting contemplation! LOL

I used to love to walk my dogs on the beach...I can still smell the salt air...heaven on earth!

#101126 - 01/02/07 08:50 PM Re: Let's Walk Daily [Re: Jane_Carroll]
Jane_Carroll Offline

Okay, I went for a walk...it was cool...my cheeks are still tingling...noticed how green many of the lawns are...they must have winter grass of some sorts...I liked the deep, brightness...made me know spring will be here...noticed one older home...it gets in more disrepair every time I go by there...wanted to be able to fix it up...

Mostly I thought about how much my back was hurting and thus how much I needed the walk!

#101127 - 01/02/07 09:03 PM Re: Let's Walk Daily [Re: Jane_Carroll]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Jane, you are so lucky to have had the chance to walk the beach. That's one of my dreams. I haven't done enough of it.

Hannelore, I love the idea of walking in other neighborhoods. My only issue is time. The mall is minutes away and my neighborhood is right outside my door. Duh! So that's why I use the routes I do. I'd love to have more time to venture into other areas. One of these days...

So many of us have so much in common...like weighing more than ever. That doesn't sound so good. We need to do something about that. Let's keep walking more and eating less.

I walked for an hour at the mall this morning. Before my injury I walked 15 minute miles for the most part. Not sure how far I'm walking in an hour now.

My friend and I noticed our eyes were watering. We figured it must be the forced air at the mall. Yuk. I hadn't seen her since before Christmas so it was good to get caught up. I don't think there was a moment of silence. We met 16 or 17 years ago when our kids were in nursery school together and have been dear friends since.

#101128 - 01/03/07 12:46 AM Re: Let's Walk Daily
JaMaPh Offline

Loc: Phoenix, Az
We went out with the dog on New Years eve. Met some new folks who moved in last year. Nice people, and we all like each other, so we have some new friends! And it all happened cause I talked to them about the block fence they made with a coupla glass blocks put in. Really cool to have friends in the neighborhood. And what's better about it, is they are just down the alley from us and he is black, she is white. We have NO ethnicity in our neighborhood and that is awful for me. for me, if a neighborhood is all white, it's blah. And our immediate cul-de-sac has a lot of blah and keep-to-themselves people on it.
And my roses are blooming madly.
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + +
Like real life stuff? Go here:
http://www.my-walk-with-God.com

#101129 - 01/03/07 12:52 AM Re: Let's Walk Daily [Re: JaMaPh]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Well, I walked today as well and loved it. 45 minutes of brisk walking. I always go out with a scarf around my neck, gloves, coat, etc...and before the walk is thru I'm stripping! ha! I've also drank at least 4-16oz. bottles of water today and will probably drink a couple more before bed. Can you say PP-dance?

Walk clears the cob webs....my head is so clear when I get back and I feel sooooo good. Why then is it so hard to do this every day? We know it's good for us, we know we will feel like a million bucks when we get through, and we'll trim down. So? Why does my mind interfere?

Anyhoo....let's continue down this path (no pun intended) girls. Life is simple! (That's my new motto)

#101130 - 01/03/07 01:24 AM Re: Let's Walk Daily [Re: jawjaw]
Anno Offline

Today my walk was very short - the time issue got in the way. We do have a fair amount of diversity in our neighborhood, and JoMaPh, I agree about how much more interesting that makes the neighborhood.

My plan for tommorow is a walk around the golf course - That should be a good couple of miles, or more. Hoping for 45 minutes, myself.

#101131 - 01/03/07 09:22 AM Re: Let's Walk Daily [Re: Anno]
Edelweiss Offline

I've gained too Dotsie. My Hubby's metabolism is so much more than mine. He eats at least twice as much as I do, and he's so thin! Jeez, that's just about unforgivable.
That's a good idea about drinking more JJ. Will do. And Dotsie, it's great that you can even do those walks now. Sure looked differently a couple of months ago.
More power to us all!...Got to run, ah,...walk.

#101132 - 01/03/07 01:40 PM Re: Let's Walk Daily [Re: Edelweiss]
CrosstitchQueen Offline

Loc: Sanford, Florida
I take a walk with one of my dogs every morning. (The other dog is a couch potato). There's a road nearby that I can walk with her to the local community college that has lots of grass and trees on either side. If time allows I go all the way to the college (the same college where I volunteer at the computer classes for seniors) and back, that's about 3 miles. If Brandy spots a squirrel or a rabbit, sometimes it's more like a jog!!
Just got back from this morning's walk and it is way too warm here for December! Going to be in the 80's today.......

#101133 - 01/03/07 03:26 PM Re: Let's Walk Daily [Re: CrosstitchQueen]
Anno Offline

Just returned from my 30 minute walk. A few days ago, we had rain for a few hours and then snow. Since then we have had a daily thaw and a nightly refreeze. A bit trecherous out there this morning.

I miss having my dog to walk with - but I don't miss him enough to replace him quite yet. Someday, perhaps.

#101134 - 01/03/07 10:41 PM Re: Let's Walk Daily [Re: Anno]
Jane_Carroll Offline

I went to Curves for the first time in 2 weeks and did my 3 times around. I usually go with my sister and we chatter but she wasnt' there so I went alone...I worked out harder when I wasn't chatting. I like to go there for the flexibility...some of my joints are crotchety and need the momentum of the machines!

But I decided to take a short walk anyway because it was such a beautiful day. I realized that daffodils will be blooming here in a couple of weeks...always a treat in the end of January!

My joints are whinning after the overdue workout and the walk but I think they will be just fine in time for tomorrow's excursion!

#101135 - 01/04/07 01:42 AM Re: Let's Walk Daily [Re: Jane_Carroll]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Jane I hate to tell you, but I think we have rain scheduled through Saturday. If it isn't bad, I'm walking anyway....

I bought a radio headset (Sony) and I love it. I was half walking, half jogging, half dancing all the way tonight. Wait...that's too many halfs....well, anyHOO...I was getting it around the blocks...It's a new neighborhood that just went in this past summer and a dead end so a great place to walk. I bet they wondered about the short, somewhat fluffy woman dancing to "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun" and then "I Heard it through the Gravevine" wuhoooo!

I can't wait till tomorrow's walk!

#101136 - 01/04/07 10:46 AM Re: Let's Walk Daily [Re: jawjaw]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Chatty here, head hung low in shame, posting my walking progress.....zero, zilch, nada. Haven't hauled my big bottom out of my desk chair, and have "NO" excuse what-so-ever. I am trying tomorrow, honest I am...sigh!

#101137 - 01/04/07 01:51 PM Re: Let's Walk Daily [Re: chatty lady]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Come on Chats. We're cheering for you.

I didn't walk yesterday. Had physical therapy instead. YUK. I much prefer walking.

JJ, please pass the headset. I love your choice of music.

#101138 - 01/04/07 02:10 PM Re: Let's Walk Daily
Jane_Carroll Offline

JJ, I heard that you have been around the block a few times...didn't know that's what it meant! LOL--hey what the...blub...blub...blub...let me out of the moat...no, I don't want to wrassle for a pairs of alligator's shoes!

Chatty...today's a new day...JJ's right, if it's raining or too cold, I'll be in the house...just do what feels right...

#101139 - 01/04/07 02:37 PM Re: Let's Walk Daily [Re: Jane_Carroll]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

You can do it Chatty...I know you. Once you set that Italian mind to it, NOTHING or NOBODY could stop you. You go girl, but GO at your own pace and NEVER, EVER, EVER, feel you can't say, "I didn't walk today." Heck, we are ALL going to do that at some point, soooooooooo....as Jane the Moat Swimmer says, do so at your own pace. We're here to cheer you on though!

Dots, this headset is a am/fm radio. The choice of MUSACK was an oldies station. I wish my portable CD player was worth a crap. Popea sent me some EXCELLENT music and I would love to have it as I walk....but alas the player I have is a piece of doo doo...

As soon as I loose this LARGE cup of java I enhaled this am, I'm walking. I'm going to do the Postman Walk. Come rain, hail, snow....

#101140 - 01/04/07 02:47 PM Re: Let's Walk Daily [Re: jawjaw]
Anno Offline

Yes, Chatty, if anyone can do it, it will be you. Today I am going grocery shopping and when all that is done, I am heading out. I will bring my ipod today with meditation sounds. Could be interesting for a walk.

#101141 - 01/04/07 09:43 PM Re: Let's Walk Daily [Re: Anno]
Edelweiss Offline

Chatty, I'm more a night person, and I think you once said you are too. So maybe it's just easier if you do something nights. Hmmm that cool Las Vegas night air. That must be nice.

#101142 - 01/04/07 10:20 PM Re: Let's Walk Daily [Re: Edelweiss]
Anno Offline

I just returned from a 15 minute walk. Hey, it's better than none at all! LOL.

Wish I was in Vegas with you Chatty. We would be out walking every night.

#101143 - 01/04/07 10:48 PM Re: Let's Walk Daily [Re: Anno]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Well, I just finished a 36-minute walk. Not hardly long enough but as you say Anno, better than nutin. It's raining here but just a light mist with no lightening, so I figure, hey, I won't melt. So I walked. Then almost at the end of the walk I realized I had a am/fm radio on my head. Could I have been elecuted? Just wondering....hm...

Anyway, the rain continues through tomorrow so I may take tomorrow off.

What I love is how it makes me feel AFTER I've walked.

#101144 - 01/04/07 11:04 PM Re: Let's Walk Daily [Re: jawjaw]
Jane_Carroll Offline

Mine got cut to 15 minutes today as the rain was become more in earnest...and I could possibly melt! Otherwise it was a great day for walking...58 degrees...it's getting easier again...my back isn't hurting as much...yea!

#101145 - 01/05/07 08:41 AM Re: Let's Walk Daily [Re: Jane_Carroll]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Oh you dear wonderful women. I get so much strength from you all. We have high winds and nasty cold rain here right now. So first I went to Wal*Mart and walked all over the store, back and forth, up and down and around every isle. My pedometer said I walked 6000 steps, is that good?.....
Then on the way home I stopped at Curves and signed up. I have alot to lose and need to firm up as I go, don't want to look like melting dough when the weight starts coming off. I asked them if they would take my picture every 60 days so I can post it and you can see my results. Oh the PRESSURE, she sighs....But I need that, it'll makes me work harder...I even made out my own eating plan which will require walking just to get the food....

Edited by chatty lady (01/05/07 08:44 AM)

#101146 - 01/05/07 11:58 AM Re: Let's Walk Daily [Re: chatty lady]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

No walk for me Thursday. I had walked an hour for three straight days, then ahd PT the next day. That night my knees were so sore so I took Thursday off. Today I have PT. Trust me, I'd rather walk!

Happy walking everyone.

Chatty, I was a Curves fanatic for a long time. I loved goign there. The women were so friendly. Try going the same time and days and you will make new friends. It's so fun to do the circuit while chatting with other women. You're gonna love it.

#101147 - 01/05/07 10:48 PM Re: Let's Walk Daily
Jane_Carroll Offline

Chatty, I go to Curves as well...one thing is that it is so good for my flexibility...I got so stiff after I started working at home, just sitting at the computer hour after hour. I think you'll really like it and you can take it at your pace.

I did my walk today. It was very pleasant, in the 60s I believe...no jacket...the clover is so green and plump...it must think it is spring already!

I walked about 30 minutes as I am still building up. My back still hurts after about 15 minutes...but then I'm away from home, so I have to keep going to get back!LOL

Dotsie,
I'd rather swim in JJ's moat with all the alligators as go to PT!

#101148 - 01/05/07 10:55 PM Re: Let's Walk Daily [Re: Jane_Carroll]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

I have to make sure I haven't had any water for at least 30 minutes before I walk. Otherwise, it becomes a jog. I haven't walked yet today, but I'm gonna...I hope.

I hear what you're saying about PT. Back when I had that last wreck I had to go for months and months. It was worse than the dentist office. I would look for any excuse in the world to keep from going....my bathtub leask...whoops, sure can't leave the house and go to PT if that's the case. Better stick around and make sure no alligators come up through the spout....whatever works.

#101149 - 01/06/07 12:14 AM Re: Let's Walk Daily [Re: jawjaw]
Anno Offline

I did walk today, 25 minutes this morning and 15 just now.

Tell me more about PT. I have never had to do it, and it sounds like it must be awful.

My walk this morning was cut short because I had a few cups of coffee first. Didn't wait long enough, alas.

#101150 - 01/06/07 09:49 AM Re: Let's Walk Daily [Re: Anno]
Lola Offline

Loc: London UK
Hi, Chatty: It is good to use a pedometer to keep track of distance walked. 10,000 steps is approximately 5 miles. So, at 6,000 steps you actually walked 3 miles! GREAT!!! If you keep the pedometer strapped even when at home, you might discover an additional 1.5 mile (average) walked just puttering about in the house.

#101151 - 01/06/07 10:23 AM Re: Let's Walk Daily [Re: Lola]
Lola Offline

Just a tip. If a walker measures distance walked, rather than time, it makes it easier to journal progress. It gives an incentive to walking further as well when one notices the big difference in distance reached from and by a 10-minute walk on the first week to that of the next. Happy walking!

#101152 - 01/06/07 03:46 PM Re: Let's Walk Daily [Re: Lola]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

See I think otherwise....I measure time and just increase the time each week. I'm going to be walking the same area each time and since it's a circle, I'm simply walking the circle MORE. I'm walking the same pace, so it helps me to know how much more I've done by journaling the time spent doing it. Just my druthers....

#101153 - 01/06/07 05:04 PM Re: Let's Walk Daily [Re: chatty lady]
klmr13 Offline

Loc: Stars Hollow
Chatty, You had asked about whether 6,000 steps is good. There's an interesting program called "10,000 Steps"...that being the everyday goal for good health (according to the site). Here's a link: http://www.shapeup.org/10000steps.html

#101154 - 01/06/07 05:26 PM Re: Let's Walk Daily [Re: klmr13]
Jane_Carroll Offline

My hip is whinny...it was yesterday and I walked anyway but I think it needs a couple of days rest...so I'll enjoy being in the house this weekend.

For me, I usally walk time because I know how much time I have...the fun comes in seeing how much further I can go during my time...that also allows me to pace myself according to how I feel...some days I can speed along and some days it's a saunter...but it's all good.

#101155 - 01/06/07 06:55 PM Re: Let's Walk Daily [Re: Jane_Carroll]
Lola Offline

Anything to get you walking, JJ. But, if you're walking in circles...then Sam can't get to say, "meet you at the corner,JJ."

#101156 - 01/07/07 01:14 AM Re: Let's Walk Daily [Re: Lola]
denanz Offline

Loc: Tempe Arizona
Today I did something that I haven't done in a while. I walked to the Frys shopping center. Its about a 15 min walk from my house to the store. The weather here is in the 60s with a few clouds floating around. In the plaza I stopped by the furniture store and found a couple of bookcases I so desperatly needed. I went to the bank and deposited some cash. I stopped and got my nails cut down and repolished. On my way home I realized that my neighborhood wasn't looking as run down as it has been the past couple of years. Some of the houses are looking pretty nice. I must have new neighbors. I should talk to them one of these days. It was a nice walk.

#101157 - 01/07/07 06:14 AM Re: Let's Walk Daily [Re: denanz]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

I'll check it out klmr, and thanks to all of you..

#101158 - 01/07/07 08:57 AM Re: Let's Walk Daily [Re: chatty lady]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

I haven't walked in two days. I'm a toad. My bursitis in my hip is killing me. Any suggestions? Anyway, I'm getting back out there tomorrow.

#101159 - 01/07/07 09:59 AM Re: Let's Walk Daily [Re: jawjaw]
klmr13 Offline

The usual course of treatment for bursitis is steroid injections, and those aren't good for our immune systems. That must be very painful for you...sorry you're suffering! Have you considered acupuncture, Jawjaw? I'm beginning a search for a board certified acupunturist for the arthritis in my ankle...gosh, I hate talking about arthritis! Makes me feel O L D!

#101160 - 01/07/07 02:30 PM Re: Let's Walk Daily [Re: klmr13]
Jane_Carroll Offline

JJ,
My hip is whinny, too. I think it's the pounding the pavement that gets it. I do the jogging in place at Curves but it's on a spring board that absorbs some of the impact.

My hip is feeling better today...it liked the day off...I'm looking for somewhere to walk that isn't paved to see it that makes a difference...

#101161 - 01/07/07 03:18 PM Re: Let's Walk Daily [Re: Jane_Carroll]
Anno Offline

Alas, I was a wimp yesterday, too. Today, I promise to make it out and about.

What's with all the hip problems? I am so sorry to hear so many of my girlfriends are in pain. Here is to healing and living without pain.

#101162 - 01/07/07 05:02 PM Re: Let's Walk Daily [Re: Anno]
Edelweiss Offline

Oh dear, I can join you ladies on the ache and pain department. I have a calcaneal spur.
That's a bone fragment in my heal. Tomorrow I'm starting a lazer massage therapy. Anyone else ever have this?

I know those aches in the hips as well. For some reason, the pain went away and never came back again. That was about a year ago. I take vitamin E and calcium…maybe that's the reason. Hope it goes away for you soon too JJ and Jane. I've been there.

I just weighed myself and discovered I lost two pounds this week. My granddaughter is the best diet couch anyone could have. Walking back and forth through the house, holding a toddler's hands in a half stooped position, sure works those pounds off! Jeez, I'm exhausted, and my heal is pounding. Yuck

#101163 - 01/07/07 11:49 PM Re: Let's Walk Daily [Re: Edelweiss]
klmr13 Offline

Hannelore...YES, I had a heel spur - such PAIN!
What helped me was a couple shots of cortisone, over a few weeks. Before that I was limping in agony...tried the rubbery heel orthotics in my shoe, exercises, everything. The only thing that helped was the shots. Oh, and every once in a while I still do the exercises... in a sitting position - put a tennis ball on the floor and roll your foot over the top of it.
The good news is that the pain WILL go away! Hang in there...

#101164 - 01/08/07 02:03 AM Re: Let's Walk Daily [Re: klmr13]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Ladies, would glucosimine help I wonder? I've not tried, yet notice an abundance in the vitamin section and have wondered how effective or not? I've had many a shin splints from marching/running, yet I've not done either for nearly a decade. I know how painful foot injuries are, and, at least for me, more of an inconvenience the older I become! I don't like to be held back and injuries take longer to heal, too.

#101165 - 01/08/07 02:07 AM Re: Let's Walk Daily [Re: ]
Jane_Carroll Offline

MustangGal,

It probably would...I forget about it...I hate to take pills!

#101166 - 01/08/07 07:27 AM Re: Let's Walk Daily [Re: Jane_Carroll]
Anno Offline

I managed to squeeze in a 20 minute walk today. Tommorow I have to go back to work, after two weeks off. I think I had a major case of the blahs, so I avoided the walk most of the day.

What is glucosimine?

#101167 - 01/08/07 07:31 AM Re: Let's Walk Daily [Re: Jane_Carroll]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

You need to take Glucosamine with Chondroitin and/or MSN, so try for one that has all three.

#101168 - 01/09/07 01:41 AM Re: Let's Walk Daily [Re: chatty lady]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Anno, a two week break sounds wonderful. How much vacation time do you get a year?

Here is a link that will help you learn more about glucosamine:
http://www.glucosamine-arthritis.org/

I walked for an hour around the neighborhood with a friend on Saturday. I intended to walk yesterday but due to an unexpected hospital visit I made, I didn't fit it in.

No walk today. Darn. Maybe tomorrow afternoon.

Keep up the good work ladies. Keep on truckin'.

#101169 - 01/09/07 03:55 PM Re: Let's Walk Daily
Jane_Carroll Offline

I went to Curves yesterday...I'll try to fit in a walk today.

#101170 - 01/09/07 03:59 PM Re: Let's Walk Daily [Re: Jane_Carroll]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

I WILL walk today...I WILL walk today....I WILL....

#101171 - 01/09/07 11:12 PM Re: Let's Walk Daily [Re: jawjaw]
Anno Offline

Today (and yesterday, as a matter of fact) I moved boxes and furniture and I was pooped. So I skipped the walk both days. I do have yoga tonight tho, so I don't feel too guilty.

I get LOTS of time off, Dots, but that is from one job - I work with schools so I work from August until end of June. But I take all the breaks they take, so two weeks in the winter and one at spring.

#101172 - 01/10/07 10:19 PM Re: Let's Walk Daily [Re: Anno]
Anno Offline

Last night I did an hour and a half of yoga! I thought the class was only an hour. Felt good, tho.

Today I walked two sessions of 20 minutes each. The move into the office is done, but I have boxes to move. The good news is that every Wednesday I have a meeting at an office building that is one mile away. I am determined to walk every Wednesday back and forth.

How is everyone else doing?

#101173 - 01/12/07 04:16 PM Re: Let's Walk Daily [Re: Anno]
Anno Offline

Thursday I walked for 2 15 minute sessions and yoga. I am feeling stronger, but no weight loss yet. It will come!

Anyone want to continue this thread?

#101174 - 01/12/07 04:43 PM Re: Let's Walk Daily [Re: Anno]
Edelweiss Offline

Errr, I got an excuse because of my darn heal. I'm getting treatment for it, but till it's better I can't walk longer than 20 minutes. To tell you the truth, I love this excuse. I'm being soooo lazy!

#101176 - 01/15/07 11:49 PM Re: Let's Walk Daily [Re: ]
Anno Offline

Well, girls, I got a weeks worth of exercise in today. It snowed here, in Minnesota, so I shoveled the sidewalk and driveway. Then I went skating with D and friends (I count this as two times, since I had to pick D up 3 times from the ice) and I just returned from a 15 minute walk. It is COLD outside.

Like Anne, all the cold makes for a lot more walking than we are giving ourselves credit for.

Keep trucking!

#101177 - 01/16/07 02:47 AM Re: Let's Walk Daily [Re: Anno]
Phyllis0618 Offline

Loc: Oakland County, Michigan
I need inspiration to keep me on track. Comcast cable has a variety of exercise programs including walking. Yoga, pilates, dancing just hurt by back (getting old). They have a few walking programs and I have decided on a 3 mile walk with weights.

So far I have made it through one mile and sometime 2 miles a day. However, keeping up the momentum every day is not easy. The great part is I can start and stop at any time day or night.

#101178 - 01/16/07 03:20 PM Re: Let's Walk Daily [Re: Phyllis0618]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Phyllis, come here for the inspiration. Or picture all your boomer women friends cheering for you to keep the mission.

Anno, skating? What fun. Is it an outdoor arena? I haven't done that in about 10 years.

Anne, I recall years of being determined to get my walk in even if it was icey. Now I go to the mall. I wish I had your stamina and desire to be outside anyway. The fresh air is so good for us.

I got off track a bit because of my wicked colinoscopy I had last week. Always a story. But that dang thing really threw me for a loop. Anyway, back at it.

Sunday I went to the Y and did the bike and cross trainer.
Monday I walked with a friend for 45 minutes outside in the humidity which is so odd for Baltimore in January.
This morning I walked for an hour at the mall with a friend.

It feels good to be back at it.

Hannelore, what's up with your heal? Does the condition have a name?

#101180 - 01/17/07 11:12 PM Re: Let's Walk Daily [Re: ]
Phyllis0618 Offline

Anne 327: Wow about walking 10 miles. Really impressive.

Did some walking indoors today but nothing like you.

#101181 - 01/18/07 02:00 AM Re: Let's Walk Daily [Re: Phyllis0618]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Anne, wow! Good for you. That's remarkable. Was it bitter cold?

I didn't walk today but did go to the Y. Did the cross trainer for 30 minutes and bike for 10. Then did two leg machines to strengthen everything around my knee. I graduate from physical therapy next week. I can't wait!

How is everyone doing with their walking?

#101182 - 01/18/07 08:07 AM Re: Let's Walk Daily
Edelweiss Offline

My heal treatment is done. It takes another three weeks for it to work. I have one of those glide wad-do-you-call-it- machines...like skiing. Anyway I can do that instead of walking.

#101183 - 01/18/07 05:02 PM Re: Let's Walk Daily [Re: Edelweiss]
Jeannine Offline

Loc: Georgia, U.S.
I'm a firm believer in walking! I've always enjoyed walking, and will opt to walk instead of ride, everywhere I go, if possible. I do at least thirty minutes of brisk walking three times a week. I may be out longer, if the weather is fine. I endeavor to get my husband out with me, though sometimes that's a chore.

I recall on one of our first dates, about a million years ago! we went to the drive-in. We were parked, movie hadn't started, he said, 'Let's get something from the snack-bar'. I agreed, and started to reach for the door handle, and imagine my surprise, when he replaced the movie-speaker on its stand, and started the car. We drove to the snack-bar!

[i]'It's never too late in Fiction-- or in Life to Revise.'
---Nancy Thayer

#101185 - 01/18/07 11:03 PM Re: Let's Walk Daily [Re: ]
Anno Offline

I like comcast on demand exercise, too. I keep forgetting about it, so thanks for the reminder.

Tuesday I did yoga, yesterday sat on my little tush and today yoga again. I did manage 2 mini=walks, but it has been sooooo cold here. Suppose to warm back up with more snow this weekend, so I will add in some cross-country skiing or some snow-shoeing.

Dots - it was an outdoor rink and not too smooth, but it was fun. Very tiring!

#101186 - 01/20/07 01:27 PM Re: Let's Walk Daily [Re: Anno]
Anno Offline

I walked with a neighbor this morning, a very strange man who likes his guns and his cars, trucks and bikes (all 6 of them). He lives in a world that I know nothing about and it is interesting to hear how he views the world. Best part is, I don't have to agree with him at all, but I am enjoying listening to his POV.

Tommorow cross-country skiing with my sister. Have a great weekend ladies.

#101188 - 01/20/07 09:25 PM Re: Let's Walk Daily [Re: Anno]
Phyllis0618 Offline

Did not exercise much this past week. Our power went out which was a good excuse for not getting back on track. However, today I walked two miles with hand weights today. What a challenge but I did it. Using Comcast cable walking programs allows me to walk in the house at any time. Took the South Beach Diet survey online and found I was at the high end of normal. Must lose 10 pounds or get to 145 which is not thin. Hope eating right and walking helps me.

#101189 - 01/20/07 09:48 PM Re: Let's Walk Daily [Re: Phyllis0618]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Phyllis, tell me about the Comcast walking system. How do you walk in the house? I feel stupid cause I don't get it.

I went to the Y yesterday and today. I did the two leg machines, the cross trainer and bike both days. I much prefer walking with a friend but I'm making the most of it.

#101190 - 01/20/07 09:49 PM Re: Let's Walk Daily
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Anne, I'd love to sit and chat with you in that coffee shop. Wouldn't that be fun? Heck, I'd even walk the two miles to the library with you.

Anno, have fun cross-country skiing...and with your sister? What a bonus.

#101191 - 01/22/07 12:27 AM Re: Let's Walk Daily
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Went to the Y again today. Did the leg machines, cross-trainer and bike. That's how I justified the Mini Oreos I just ate. I knew I shouldn't have bought them.

#101192 - 01/22/07 02:44 AM Re: Let's Walk Daily
Anno Offline

It was snowing here all day, and made for perfect cross-country skiing. Unfortunately, the rental place was closed - someone had called in sick, I guess - so my sister could not ski. So we walked instead. And it was so beautiful

The snow was coming down lightly, and dry, and it was warm enough to not be bundled up to look like the michelin man. We walked around the lake, about 3 miles, and back and forth from my house, about another mile, and had a great chat.

By the way, she may be moving to London - seems she is truly in love for the first time in years, and he lives in London. I am so happy for her, but will miss her so much.

#101193 - 01/22/07 04:27 AM Re: Let's Walk Daily [Re: Anno]
denanz Offline

Loc: Tempe Arizona
I have been going to curves for the past several months but now that I have started working again I can't fit the time in to drive over there, work out and drive back. So today I pulled out my treadmill and walked for half an hour. I worked up a good sweat which I don't at curves. hmmm I should of stuck with my treadmill.

www.denisesgiftshop.com

#101196 - 01/23/07 09:43 PM Re: Let's Walk Daily [Re: ]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Anne, I can't wait to garden. It's one of my favorite activities. Sounds like it's one of yours too. We have quite a bit in common.

Graduated from PT yesterday. YAHOO. Walked almost an hour at the mall early this morning with a friend.

#101198 - 01/27/07 03:06 PM Re: Let's Walk Daily [Re: ]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Yes, that's about right. Due to the cold, I've been going to the Y. Went yesterday and did a half hour on the cross trainer and 10 minutes on the bike.

Where are all our walkers. What's going on here?

#101199 - 01/27/07 04:43 PM Re: Let's Walk Daily
Anno Offline

It is sooooo cold here in Minnesota. I have given into the couch for the past few days.

Today, the sun is out, but the temp is hovering in the single digits. I am going to brave the cold and try for at least 15 minutes.

Yoga, tho. Have been keeping up with that!

#101201 - 01/29/07 08:50 PM Re: Let's Walk Daily [Re: Anno]
Phyllis0618 Offline

Losing track of all the responses. When the weather is nicer (a few more months) I can walk outside. If you want to talk about what we see when walking that is great. However when I walk outside my mind seems to travel places yet to be explored. No outside influence to stop the mind.

#101202 - 01/29/07 09:03 PM Re: Let's Walk Daily [Re: Phyllis0618]
Anno Offline

I managed a 15 minute walk in the cold today with a collegue. It was fun listening to her stories about her girlfriends and family. No work talk for 15 strait minutes. The weather does not seem to have anything warm in store for us for a week or two, so I have been doing more yoga.

#101203 - 01/31/07 04:11 AM Re: Let's Walk Daily [Re: Anno]
Anno Offline

Lordie, it is cold outside and the forecast is dropping lower and lower.

I made it to my yoga class, but I was not able to walk there (a whole quarter mile!)> Tommorow I will walk at the mall. Weight is finding it's way back into the body.

#101204 - 01/31/07 10:16 PM Re: Let's Walk Daily [Re: Anno]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Anno, I've been forced inside too. Mall walked for an hour Tuesday. Went to the Y early this morning. Do you take your sneakers to work? We live in a downtown area and lots of people walk during their lunch breaks, especially in the spring.

#101205 - 01/31/07 10:28 PM Re: Let's Walk Daily
Anno Offline

I always keep a pair of sneakers in my car and another at the office. Even a walk around the block seems to rejuvinate me.

Today, 3 degrees, and I walked around the block at work, twice. I want to do more, but just can't take the cold breeze slapping me in the face.

Tommorow I am visiting a pentagon shaped school, and I will take my pedometer with me to see how many miles I walk. I plan to walk both floors two times when I get there, two times between meetings and two times before I leave. Will see how much that gets me going.

#101207 - 01/31/07 11:57 PM Re: Let's Walk Daily [Re: ]
Edelweiss Offline

How you feeling Anne327? Hope the lung infection didn't develop further.
I'm still battling with my heal. But it's getting better, and I do walk...till I just can't anymore. At least I haven't gained any weight…not yet, that is.

#101208 - 02/01/07 07:34 PM Re: Let's Walk Daily [Re: Edelweiss]
Anno Offline

Well, I logged in 9,347 steps during my walking at the school I was visiting. Not too bad, but I had expected that it would have been a bit more. I did get slowed down by having to do some work inbetween the walks. Oh, darn.

#101209 - 02/02/07 01:26 AM Re: Let's Walk Daily [Re: Anno]
Phyllis0618 Offline

Finally got back on track. Walking in the house two miles at a fast pace using 1 1/2 pound weights. Felt good.

Trying to use the South Beach Diet for a while. Two weeks of protein and vegetables. Basically no fruit or starches. This isn't a big problem.

#101210 - 02/06/07 03:26 PM Re: Let's Walk Daily [Re: Phyllis0618]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

What's happened? Isn't anyone walking these days? I walked for an hour at the mall this morning. It's way too cold to walk outside. Winter is definitely here.

#101211 - 02/06/07 08:23 PM Re: Let's Walk Daily
Edelweiss Offline

How is your knee holding up Dotsie? My heal is a lot better. Yesterday we played nine hole golf. Yes it was warm enough. I have this hot pink golf ball, so I can see it if it lands in some patches of snow.

#101212 - 02/06/07 10:57 PM Re: Let's Walk Daily [Re: Edelweiss]
Anno Offline

It has been below zero for a week now and I have been lucky to make it too and from my car without freezing my back end off! I am gaining the weight, too. Another week, hopefully less, and I will be back out there.

#101213 - 02/06/07 11:01 PM Re: Let's Walk Daily [Re: Anno]
Anno Offline

Hannelore - I so envy you. Golfing in January! Way to go, girl.

Dotsie - I wish I liked mall walking better. I admire you for finding a way to work around the weather.

Phyllis - are you still house walking? I tried to find the program on comcast, but they have pulled some of our stations lately and I have not been able to find the workout station.

Who else has found ways around the weather?

#101214 - 02/09/07 04:00 PM Re: Let's Walk Daily [Re: Anno]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Anno, I went to the Y last night and did the cross-trainer for a half hour. I cut back to exercising every other day becasue I don't think every day was good for my knee. I can't wait until this dang thing is all better. I see the doctor next week. I'm anxious to hear what he has to say. I'm sure it will be something along the lines of...you're not as young as you used to be. I might have to throw something at him.

#101215 - 02/09/07 07:11 PM Too cold now, Re: Let's Walk Daily [Re: Edelweiss]
jabber Offline

Loc: New York State
I was walking once and sometimes twice a day. The windchill has been below zero. I havent' walked in a couple weeks. I can't wait for the temps to get above 20 degrees again.

#101216 - 02/09/07 07:25 PM Too cold now, Re: Let's Walk Daily [Re: jabber]
Anno Offline

Dotsie - bring along a spare tennis shoe to throw at the doctor. Be prepared.

Bonnierose - Minnesota is in double digits finally. My round tummy and thighs are begging me to get out and walk. Maybe this weekend it will warm enough for me to get back to my own routine.

#101217 - 02/11/07 11:56 PM Re: Let's Walk Daily [Re: Anno]
ktri Offline

Hi, just found this forum, and wanted to give my support. I walk my dog twice a day everyday unless there has been an ice storm. We walk at 5AM and again when I get home around 5PM. The last couple of weeks have been challenging. It's been below zero every morning and mostly single digits at night, plus snow and wind. So we haven't been able to do our regular walk, but we have been out there every day walking. They say exercise is cumulative so even a couple of short walks help out a lot.

And think of all the admiration you will get at work or from your friends when you tell them you braved the cold Just remember to dress warm, in layers, and don't be reckless when it's really cold! Stay close to home.

See you around the block,

ktri

#101218 - 02/12/07 09:02 PM Re: Let's Walk Daily [Re: ktri]
Anno Offline

The weather here warmed up to a balmy 11 degrees today, so I finally got out for a short walk after 2 weeks of being house-bound. It felt sooooo good.

I was thinking about whittlewoman this morning and how she is doing in upstate ny. I heard they had up to 2 feet, or more, of snow recently. Don't suppose anyone there is doing any walking - just lots of snow removal!

#101219 - 02/12/07 09:37 PM Re: Let's Walk Daily [Re: Anno]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Snow removal is great exercise. From the sounds of the forecast, I may get a little practice this week.

ktri, my gracious it's cold where you are. I feel so sorry for the animals when it's that cold. Welcome tp the forums. I'll be looking for you in the other forums.

#101220 - 02/17/07 02:10 PM Re: Let's Walk Daily
Anno Offline

Let's party! The weather is finally in double digits here in Minnesota. I can walk outside again! Today - I will walk in the neighborhood, but hopefully, by next weekend, it will be warm enough to do the 3 mile lake walk again.

Hooray!!!!

http://www.multiplesystematrophyandshy-drager.blogspot.com

#101221 - 02/20/07 10:27 PM Re: Let's Walk Daily [Re: Anno]
Anno Offline

I walked twice today. The weather is warmer (not warm!) and snow melted yesterday and froze over last night. So it was an interesting walk - dodging both ice patches and puddles.

It feels sooo good to be able to walk outdoors again. I love the sun and a blue sky and we had both today.

ktri - what area of the world do you live in?

#101222 - 02/20/07 10:51 PM Re: Let's Walk Daily [Re: Anno]
SharonE Offline

Loc: Australia/ U.S. websites
My partner and I have begun walking after dinner each evening as the temperature drops to something bearable (I live in Australia).
It's a great opportunity to discuss the days events, plans for the future, the kids careers, the kids debts, the kids cars, world peace, politics, work problems, and to say Hi to a few people in the neighbourhood sitting out on their verandas in the cool evening breeze.
This is a new activity for me, I have been a lounge lizard most of my life. However I am really enjoying feeling fitter, it even helps me sleep much better. I love it, Highly reccommended!
Take care,
For U.S. Baby Boomers: www.babyboomerexpress.com

#101224 - 02/28/07 01:45 AM Re: Let's Walk Daily [Re: ]
chickadee Offline

Congrats all you walkers.

Anne, do you walk with a partner? Do you have any protection with you for walking at night?

chick

#101225 - 02/28/07 03:15 AM Re: Let's Walk Daily [Re: chickadee]
Anno Offline

Thanks for bringing this back up, Chick. I have been walking in short sprints - ten minutes here and there. Still can't get rid of this extra weight, tho. Maybe it's the cookies?

#101226 - 02/28/07 03:20 AM Re: Let's Walk Daily [Re: chickadee]
ktri Offline

Ah, finally got my normal walk in again this AM. Ice from the weekend ice storm has melted from the street. Couldn't walk on the sidewalks yet - they are still too slippery. My dog and I were both happy, but I was late for work. Oops, must have gotten used to puttering around the house with all that extra time available when we were on our shortened walk schedule!

#101228 - 03/01/07 02:08 PM Re: Let's Walk Daily [Re: ]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

ktri, I know what you mean by ice and messy streets and sidewalks. Everything's melting here. Praise God. Tomorrow it should be 60. I'm looking Forward to an outdoor walk and a little trimming in the garden. I'm so glad March is here.

#101230 - 03/01/07 11:05 PM Re: Let's Walk Daily [Re: ]
Anno Offline

Oh, Dotsie, I sooooo envy you. We are experiencing yet another snow storm. We have had at least 8 already and it is still snowing heavily. Oh, my aching back.

No walk - just shovel, shovel, shovel.

#101231 - 03/03/07 01:31 PM Re: Let's Walk Daily [Re: Anno]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Anne, I'm so sorry you aren't sleeping well. With all the walking and exercising you do, you think you'd be dog tired. This too will change.

Annon, enough, right? How long have you lived there?

I walked for 40 minutes outside around dinner time yesterday and it felt so great. The sun is hsining again today and it's in the 50s.

#101232 - 03/04/07 01:53 AM Re: Let's Walk Daily
Anno Offline

I have lived in the midwest most of my life - but I have never gotten use to the snow. Today, I walked, twice, but in between shoveling - the driveway, the sidewalk and then the roof. It is time to move!

#101233 - 03/04/07 10:57 PM Re: Let's Walk Daily [Re: Anno]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

I walked again yesterday when it was almost 60 degrees and sunny. Today's another story. It's 30 and windy. Come on spring.

#101234 - 03/05/07 01:33 AM Re: Let's Walk Daily [Re: Anno]
ktri Offline

Ahhh, sunny and 42 today. Got in two great walks. Snow is melting so it's still going to freeze tonight, but the sun was wonderful today.

#101235 - 03/05/07 09:56 PM Re: Let's Walk Daily [Re: ktri]
Anno Offline

And I am once again back on routine. Broken behind and all, I got my 30 in today!

#101236 - 03/07/07 02:52 AM Re: Let's Walk Daily [Re: Anno]
Melanie46 Offline

Loc: Connecticut USA
My nutritionist claims that walking is best. She may have just said that because she knows I'm not very athletic. Well, let me correct that: I'm not one bit athletic. But I'm really trying to do the 10,000 steps a day thing in order to give myself a goal. Otherwise, I might just slowly meander along--like Prissy did when Miss Scarlett sent her to fetch the doctor for Miss Melly in the movie, Gone With The Wind.

It is really difficult, though, to get all of those steps in. Especially with weather like we're having here in Connecticut today (below zero in March, of all things!).

But I bought a pedometer before Christmas and am really trying to keep to the program.

I have a funny story about the pedometer, though. I wear the thing all the time, and in December I had it on when I went to a local radio station to be interviewed about a project I'm involved with.

Well, before I went on the air, I naturally used the ladies' room. While I was in there, my pedometer detached from the waistband on my panty hose and ended up down in my underpants. I had no idea that had happened until I sat down in the on-air studio.

During the radio interview, I felt like I was laying an egg. It was most uncomfortable, to say the least. (I'm just glad it was television.)

I've since thrown that pedometer out and now have a new one.

In any event, I'm trying really hard to keep a sense of humor about my lack of athletic prowess as I continue to walk, walk and walk some more.

www.BaileyMcMillanPerfumes.Blogspot.com

#101237 - 03/07/07 09:02 AM Re: Let's Walk Daily [Re: Melanie46]
Edelweiss Offline

What a hoot! Well I'm sure it kept you on your 'toes' during the interview.
Or while you were being interviewed did you keep wondering what that 'egg' is?
Very funny...things like that always happen to me.

#101238 - 03/07/07 02:46 PM Re: Let's Walk Daily [Re: Edelweiss]
Melanie46 Offline

Loc: Connecticut USA
I had NO idea what was going on in my underpants during the interview. I just knew that something was amiss down under. The discovery was made when I got home!

www.BaileyMcMillanPerfumes.Blogspot.com

#101239 - 03/07/07 04:14 PM Re: Let's Walk Daily [Re: Melanie46]
chickadee Offline

Too funny! Oops, I think I laid an egg.

chick

#101240 - 03/07/07 11:22 PM Re: Let's Walk Daily [Re: chickadee]
Jane_Carroll Offline

all this butt humor just cracks me up!

#101242 - 03/09/07 08:30 AM Re: Let's Walk Daily [Re: ]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Boy Anne could I use some of your energy. I have enough to work but not enough to get myself out the door to walk. I need a partner bad....

#101244 - 03/16/07 04:01 AM Re: Let's Walk Daily [Re: ]
Anno Offline

Okay Ladies. It is spring, sort of, in most of the world now. How many of you are getting back to walking on a regular basis?

I have been out more and more this past week or two. Tonight, in Minnesota, there was a small sprinkling of really wet snow. As I walked home from yoga, it looked like powdered sugar had been sprinked over the land. Then I thought of powdered sugared donuts, and, darn it anyway, I got a craving! Walk, eat, walk, eat . . .

#101245 - 03/19/07 11:45 PM Re: Let's Walk Daily [Re: Anno]
Anno Offline

Tommorow is the official start of spring. Who is out walking? I saw JJ post she had walked.

Today, 30 minutes during the workday. It felt so good to move those legs for more than 15 minutes at a time. And I had a "meeting" with a colleague at the same time. Out of my chair, out of my car and talking and walking!

How about you?

#101247 - 03/20/07 01:04 AM Re: Let's Walk Daily [Re: ]
chickadee Offline

#101248 - 03/20/07 10:33 AM Re: Let's Walk Daily [Re: chickadee]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Leave it to our chick to locate them. What a hoot.

Congrats to all those who continue to keep the pace. I walked from 6:20 to 7:10 yesterday and am walking again today. I am so grateful the winter and the knee surgery are behind me.

#101249 - 03/20/07 11:05 AM Re: Let's Walk Daily
Anno Offline

Thanks, Chick. You always bring a smile to my day.

Just finished my morning stint on BWS and now off to a morning walk. Me, to Dots, grateful the aches and pains and winter are in the past.

#101250 - 03/23/07 07:50 PM Re: Let's Walk Daily [Re: Anno]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Did my morning stint today too. Same time, in fact. I love getting the exercise done early in the day. I'm not an evening exerciser like my husband. By the time dinner's over, I'm too tired to go exercise, especially in the winter months.

#101251 - 03/23/07 10:54 PM Re: Let's Walk Daily
Anno Offline

I dug out my old sports watch and set the timer for 20 minutes. When the timer goes off, I change directions and set my sites on home.

It is 70 degrees here in Minnesota today! Ah, spring.

#101252 - 03/24/07 01:07 AM Re: Let's Walk Daily [Re: Anno]
ktri Offline

70 degrees? In Minnesota? It wasn't that warm here (IL)but spring is definitely here. No coat tonight when walking my dog! YEAH, first time! I met up with two friends that live on my street and also have dogs, so we all walked the neighborhood together talking about flowers and looking at the stuff coming up in people's yards.

#101253 - 03/24/07 02:03 PM Re: Let's Walk Daily [Re: ktri]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Sounds like everyone's getting psyched for spring in this part of the country. We keep getting teased. This time last week we were shoveling and chipping ice for St. Patty's Day company. Today it's raining, but at least it's warmer and is going to stay in the 60s this week! Come on Mr. Sunshine!

#101254 - 03/24/07 02:28 PM Re: Let's Walk Daily
Anno Offline

It is a day away, Dotsie. A beautiful day in Minnesota, again. It's a bit foggy right now, but warm and the sun is peeking through. Off, right now, for my first walk of the day.

#101255 - 04/03/07 12:05 PM Re: Let's Walk Daily [Re: Anno]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

I got in an hour walk yesterday with a friend, then a 20 minute walk with the dog at night. It's hard to stay in during this beautiful weather.

#101256 - 04/03/07 09:23 PM Re: Let's Walk Daily
Anno Offline

And from what JJ says, you don't walk, you hike!

I am with you, it's nice to get outside and smell the new air. It's been raining 4 or 5 days now, and it is getting a bit dreary. Well, more than a bit.

#101257 - 04/05/07 12:30 PM Re: Let's Walk Daily [Re: Anno]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Anno, I love smelling the earth after it's rained. Has the weather cleared up?

Walked for 55 minutes early this morning with a friend.

#101258 - 04/06/07 03:26 AM Re: Let's Walk Daily
Anno Offline

Say, Dots, we have to recruit more walkers into here.

Weather is clearing up tommorow - rain is gone, but back to 30 degrees! And I put away all my winter clothes.

I am walkng with my sister tommorw around the Lake near my house. I am looking forward to get back into the groove, once again.

#101259 - 04/06/07 06:49 PM Re: Let's Walk Daily [Re: Anno]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Have fun walking with your sis by the lake. It sounds marvelous!

I did a 50 minute walk with a neighbor this morning, very early. We walk through the sunset. We begin in the dark and by the time we're finished, it's a new day.

My only problem is that I feel ravished by lunch. Does exercise make everyone else more hungry, or is this just something I tell myself?

#101260 - 04/07/07 01:14 AM Re: Let's Walk Daily
ktri Offline

Ah, back to winter, here. 30 degrees with minus one wind chill. Had to break out the winter coat, gloves and hat again the last three days, but this has to be the end of it, right? Maybe?.....Hopefully?...

#101261 - 04/07/07 01:25 AM Re: Let's Walk Daily [Re: ktri]
chickadee Offline

Does exercise make me hungry, Dotsie? Lifting my pinky makes me hungry.

Picture this: Driving home last night and other half says, "I wish that we get to see snow once more this year." Less than 10 minutes later? You guessed it! It snowed.

I said, "Look, the next time you want a wish granted, how about the lottery?" Gawd, what a waste of a perfectly good wish.

#101262 - 04/07/07 12:30 PM Re: Let's Walk Daily [Re: chickadee]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Can he grant some wishes for all of us?

We also had a dusting this morning. If we were preparing for Christmas instead of Easter, I'd be excited, but this is crazy. Maybe we could have a snowball hunt tomorrow...

#101263 - 04/07/07 12:55 PM Re: Let's Walk Daily
Anno Offline

The weather is clearing, less rain, no snow for a few days now, but it is still bone chilling cold outside. It is going to be a very cold Easter everywhere, I understand.

I had a great walk with my sis yesterday, but it was cold! We bundled up like winter once again. She will be moving (temorary? Permanently?) to London at the end of April, so it was probably one of the last walks we will have together for a while. It was a bittersweet walk.

#101264 - 04/10/07 06:23 PM Re: Let's Walk Daily [Re: Anno]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

I have not walked at all this week. I am rebelling against the cold weather, which I know is only hurting me! I am SO SICK of the cold and clouds. Maybe I should put this inthe Whine forum.

#101265 - 04/13/07 02:25 PM Re: Let's Walk Daily
homebusiness Offline

Loc: NY, USA
I am a walker. I only walk outside when the weather is decent. Now I live in New York (not NYCity) and that limits it to about five months out of the year:-)
Other times, I walk at the mall we live by, or I do one of Leslie Sansone's Walking tapes. Anything to keep moving!

Laurie
http://www.christianhomebusinessconnection.com

#101266 - 04/14/07 12:02 PM Re: Let's Walk Daily [Re: homebusiness]
Anno Offline

I have been in the same whiney place, Dots. But, today is gorgeous and I am walking around one lake today with a client and another tommorow with my sister. The best part of Minneapolis is the great chain of lakes that we have right in the city. They are surrounded by wonderful walk ways and bike ways. It is wonderful that spring has finally arrived and the great Minneapolis get together is beginning once again.

Welcome, home business. So is the NY weather in spring fever now or still in the winter doldrums?

#101267 - 04/15/07 04:54 PM Re: Let's Walk Daily [Re: Anno]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Laurie, I was in the habit of mall walking with a friend for an hour every Tuesday, but we are getting out fo the habit due to ridiculous things that keep popping up. In addition to that, I also walk early mornings with a neighbor for 50 minutes to an hour.

Anno, glad spring has sprung where you are. We're getting inches of rain and it's cold out.

Laurie, are you getting snow?

#101268 - 04/18/07 07:58 PM Re: Let's Walk Daily
Madalyn Offline

Girls~~For 10 years I walked about 3 miles a day and lost 50 lbs the first year...then in the past 2 years I just didn't have the energy so I gave it up... but Thanks to this board and this thread, I have the desire to do it again. I just came in from walking for 30 minutes and plan to increase that a little more daily until I reach 45 minutes like I used to do. I love that we can share in this, it gives me incentive to get back to it!!

Thanks, Madalyn

#101269 - 04/20/07 09:03 PM Re: Let's Walk Daily [Re: Madalyn]
celtic_flame Offline

Loc: Belfast/Northern Ireland
the weathers lifted heer considriblie and quite freekilie people are getting sunburned!
i had great walks and picnics in the park thats 2 streets away...drives to the countrie and big days out walking by lakes...i looking to incress exercise and feel RELIFE that spring is heer, so lucien we are both 2run the roads" which is a saying that means we both love being out....anywear better than in lol...
he's 3 and askes can we go out ...even can we go shopping lol...and he dosent get bought anything he just knows its the start of out and who knows weer we end up lol. craftie chappie

#101270 - 04/20/07 11:02 PM Re: Let's Walk Daily [Re: celtic_flame]
Anno Offline

Madalyn, glad you are back to walking.

Celtic, Lucien and I have so much in common. I would do anything to be out of doors. I believe that is the most difficult part of winter for me - not being ouside.

I have walked every day this week, for 45 minutes or more. It feels sooooo good. Spring is here to stay, in Minnesota, and I am very, very happy.

#101271 - 05/25/07 03:24 PM Re: Let's Walk Daily [Re: Anno]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Just for the recod, I am getting lots of wlaking in these days. Four days this week I walked for an hour in the wee hours of the morning. The air is sweet, the flowers are fantastic and exercise is great. We even saw four deer one morning, then a teeny chipmunk playing in the garden. Life is grand!

Anyone else still walking?

#101272 - 05/25/07 08:35 PM Re: Let's Walk Daily
Anno Offline

Oh, I am!

This is my absolute fovorite time of the year to walk. I love to look at yards and gardens and landscaping. I find it so inspiring.

Yesterday, during my walk, I stopped to watch the ants. There was a ant hill crawling with the tiniest ants I have ever seen. New babes, I am assuming. They work so hard at building the hill, carrying food to the next, digging out. I have always found ants to be one of the marvels of the world.

#101274 - 05/26/07 06:55 PM Re: Let's Walk Daily [Re: ]
Anno Offline

When I lived in Seattle, several decades ago, I remember the carpenter ants and the slugs. It was the first time I had ever seen a slug.

#101275 - 05/27/07 10:21 PM Re: Let's Walk Daily [Re: Anno]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

We have slugs. I remember the kids putting table salt on them and watching them disolve. What rotten kids. Have you ever stepped on one in bare feet?

#101276 - 05/27/07 11:36 PM Re: Let's Walk Daily [Re: ]
humlan Offline

Loc: Sweden
I´ll gladly walk daily. I WANT TO walk daily..but this crazy time of year..with school ending everything that is going on..I don´t make it every day.I actually walk and then jogg and thenwalk..and it makes quite a difference in my feelings and spirit and body!!!

So I am out there doing it with you as often as i can at the moment which I hope will be everyday when the worst if over, so to speak!!

E. Roosevelt said something to this efftect: don´t let doing something just a little stop you..a little will go a long way and it´s always more than doing nothing! Sooo true, don´t you think?

#101277 - 05/30/07 02:09 PM Re: Let's Walk Daily [Re: humlan]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Yes! I walked for an hour htis morning. It's gorgeous here. This is the time of year when it's not too hot and not too cold. It's just right!

humlan, there was a time when I would walk, then jog, then walk. I can't do that now. I have to do all walking due to knee surgeries. But that's okay. As long as I can get this body moving ...

#101278 - 05/30/07 05:44 PM Re: Let's Walk Daily
Cookie Offline

Loc: USA
Since daylight starts earlier now, I have been getting my daily walk in at 5:30 AM before my day gets too busy, and to beat the heat of the day.It is hard to roll out of bed and get going, but it is so quiet and peaceful at that time of the morning before the noise of the day starts.

#101279 - 05/30/07 09:32 PM Re: Let's Walk Daily [Re: Cookie]
Anno Offline

For a while, I was putting my walking shoes, jeans and a t-shirt right by the bed. When I woke up, there they would be to remind me to walk before I made the coffee and hit the shower. Thanks for the reminder, Cookie. I think I will reinstitute that habit.

#101280 - 05/31/07 02:22 PM Re: Let's Walk Daily [Re: Anno]
gerrbeck Offline

Loc: Jacksonville, FL
I used to walk 4 or 5 times a week, at least 3 miles. I was feeling so good, the headaches I'd been having stopped, I lost 20 lbs, and it did wonders for the PMS! Then I gradually stopped while taking care of in-laws. For a while, working 2 jobs, was on that merry go round called life. The weight is back, my energy level is down. I'm always saying I need to start walking again, but you know how that goes. You'd think with all the positive effects I wouldn't even think twice about starting again. So everyone say Go Gerri, Go Gerri....I need to get motivated to do this.
gerri

#101281 - 06/03/07 12:33 AM Re: Let's Walk Daily [Re: gerrbeck]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

I finely decided that as far as exercise is concerned, I AM HOPELESS!! Need a friend to walk with but thats easier said than done. So no exercise for me, and I gave up caring once reading that new diet book called: LIGHTENING UP. It is great and shows how to overcome, and ignore the need for exercise without the guilt. Fantastic!!! Works for me...

#101282 - 06/09/07 11:41 PM Walk the lab... [Re: chatty lady]
jabber Offline

Hubby and I walk our black lab puppy twice a day, about a mile and a half each time. We walk once at 8 a.m. and again in late afternoon. Puppies have so much energy, walking is one way to lessen the chases of the mutt using our house for a race track. After I was forced to put Shadow down, I really didn't want another dog. But my husband did. And it has a blessing in the sense that, Mister is now walking. I couldn't get him to walk before we got this dog. But our newest family member is so big and powerful, hubby feels obligated to man the leash. It's great. At least it's got him walking.

Chatty,
If I was anywhere near Vegas, I'd walk with you. But I'm not. So I can't.

Ciao for now,
b. rose

#101283 - 06/11/07 05:37 PM Sorry guys...Re: Walk the lab... [Re: jabber]
jabber Offline

bws,
I noticed a couple of huge typos in that "walk lab" post.
Sorry I didn't see them sooner, when the Edit was listed.
Oh, well. That's what happens, with little time and big concerns.

P.S. Still think walking is the best thing you can do for yourself!!!

#101284 - 06/12/07 09:11 PM Sorry guys...Re: Walk the lab... [Re: jabber]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Go Gerri, Go Gerri, go, go, go Gerri!

I walk very early Anno. I have my sneakers,etc. out the night before too. I get up ten minutes before I go out the door. Whatever works.

Chatty, how about marching during commercials like you used to do? I thought that was a good idea.

Bonnie, wow, aren't you glad you got another dog. Geesh, she helps you get in three miles a day. That's awesome. Don't worry about mistakes. Also know that there is a little edit button above every post so you can edit the ones you write, if you like.

#101285 - 06/13/07 10:43 AM Sorry guys...Re: Walk the lab...
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Funny you would mention that Dotsie, because I still do it when not exhausted from work. I don't consider it exercise exactly and now my friend has been doing it too. I wish I had more willpower to exercise, you know, not consider it such a drag. I love walking with friends.

#101286 - 06/13/07 01:18 PM Sorry guys...Re: Walk the lab... [Re: chatty lady]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

I love walking with friends too becasue you don't think about exercising.

#156691 - 08/17/08 07:10 PM Re: Let's Walk Daily [Re: klmr13]
gims Offline

The thing that helped me with my heel spurt was massage. I faithfully massaged the back of my lower leg and the areas around my ankles. It took awhile, but the pain was finally manageable. I honestly can't say if the pain would have gone away without the massaging, but I'm thinking it might have helped, at least.

With my daughter's treadmill, I have been able to walk 15 minutes (getting myself started). I don't want to push it, since it's been years since I've had a walking routine - something like 20 years. I love this way of walking, because I don't have to worry with neighborhood dogs, and I can read while I walk. I'm working toward walking 30 minutes, one or two times a day...

This is probably of little interest to any of you, but if I put it here, I have established an accountability reference.

#156793 - 08/18/08 09:30 PM Re: Let's Walk Daily [Re: gims]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

gims, good for you. You're lucky to have a treadmill to use. It's a great way to get reading done too! What are you reading?You're going for two times a day? That's fantastic. Keep me posted on how you're doing.

My walking partner is back to teaching so now we're walking at night. In fact, I have to go eat now so I can walk with her in an hour.

#157476 - 08/25/08 05:49 AM Re: Let's Walk Daily [Re: Dotsie]
gims Offline

heehee, dots... I am lucky that I have a treadmill to 'borrow.' I've missed 3 (three) days of walking. I did walk all of five minutes somewhere in the three days... but, it was to walk-off frustration from a phone call. I wish I could walk outside, so I could get some vitamin D. I'm just too afraid of dogs.

Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 ... 15 16 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved