Soften/Teachable Heart

Posted by: Dotsie

Soften/Teachable Heart - 08/29/07 04:44 PM

One of my prayers has been to soften my heart so I can be less judgmental and more compassionate of others.

Today while doing my devotional time, I came across another term that stuck me.

"Pray for a teachable heart, that will not buck against wise counsel."

This is taken from a study I am doing titled Managing Your Moods, by the Women Of Faith.

I liked it and wanted to share the thought with you. So not only am I praying for my heart to soften for the good of others, I am also praying for my heart to be open to teachable moments.

I hope this strikes someone else as interesting.
Posted by: Edelweiss

Re: Soften/Teachable Heart - 08/30/07 09:25 AM

Dotsie can't help but think that the last person who needs this is you. You already have a soft heart that is open to so many different views.

There were times in my life when I allowed myself to be influenced by negative and bitter people. I was not true to myself, because I think I do have a soft heart, that is tolerant and respectful to others. The last few years I rediscovered my original true self again. At the same time though, I think it's important to not to lose your self-esteem and to stand up for your own ideals and opinions.
Posted by: Dotsie

Re: Soften/Teachable Heart - 08/31/07 11:12 AM

You are kind to say that. Thanks, but there's lots of work to be done within this heart.

I totally agree with you. It does not mean becoming a door mat. For me, it means opening your heart to the way Jesus thinks.

The older I get, the more I realize I can't change others, so I need to change the way I think of them and react to them.
Posted by: Songbird

Re: Soften/Teachable Heart - 09/11/07 01:20 PM

That is so needed, at least in my life, Dots. Often we don't realize the importance of having a teachable heart. That's one of my prayers too! How else can I be lead by God if I don't have a teachable heart? Realizing He uses other people and methods to teach us each day, I want to be open and ready to receive His instructions.