Prostate Cancer Diagnosis

Posted by: Jeannine

Prostate Cancer Diagnosis - 04/11/07 09:17 PM

I've been a 'no-show' at these Forums, and Ladies, I've missed you all.

In early January we discovered that my husband has early stage prostate cancer. Since the diagnosis we've been researching all possible types of treatments, and have had a number of physician consultations. It has been a stressful few months. I set myself the task to discover all I could learn, concerning this cancer, and which treatment course would be best, for my husband. We believe we have settled on a treatment that gives my husband a good chance for a cure.

I wanted you all to know, I enjoy participating here, with this group of wonderful women, and will hope to have the opportunity to do so again, very soon.
Posted by: Dianne

Re: Prostate Cancer Diagnosis - 04/11/07 09:50 PM

I'm so sorry to hear this. What a wise thing to do...deciding after researching, which treatment would be best. You both will be in my thoughts.
Posted by: Anno

Re: Prostate Cancer Diagnosis - 04/11/07 09:55 PM

I am sorry about the bad news, but it sounds like you have focused all your positive energy on finding the very best treatment. Brilliant.

I will hold you in my heart.
Posted by: Lola

Re: Prostate Cancer Diagnosis - 04/11/07 10:06 PM

Hi, Jeannine: I am so sorry to read of your husband's bout with prostate cancer but, at the same time, relieved that it had been diagnosed at an early stage. Lots of thoughts and prayers for you and hubby.
Posted by: yonuh

Re: Prostate Cancer Diagnosis - 04/11/07 10:10 PM

Hi Jeannine. Sorry to hear about this - but I'm glad you caught it early. That means chances of beating it are better. Keep us posted, and in the meantime, y'all are in my prayers.
Posted by: Jane_Carroll

Re: Prostate Cancer Diagnosis - 04/11/07 10:11 PM

Jeannine...I'll keep you and your husband in my thoughts and prayers as you make your decisions and go through the process...keep us posted...
Posted by: Songbird

Re: Prostate Cancer Diagnosis - 04/12/07 11:58 AM

Dear Jeannine: Sad news to read, but glad he's in treatment. You did the right thing by focusing in learning about your choices. I'll be praying for you both. May you experience the blessing of peace each day!
Posted by: Edelweiss

Re: Prostate Cancer Diagnosis - 04/12/07 12:42 PM

My stepfather had it, and was healed. Here's sending you all the positive thoughts I have to you and your Hubby.
Hannelore
Posted by: Dancing Dolphin

Re: Prostate Cancer Diagnosis - 04/12/07 01:31 PM

Catching prostate cancer early is a really good thing. My uncle and a friend caught it early. They both had surgery and are considered cured and living full lives now.

I read something once that stuck with me: More men die WITH prostate cancer than FROM prostate cancer. (It's a very treatable and slow growing cancer that is not nearly as life threatening as so many others)

Best of luck to you both. Please keep us posted.
Kathy
Posted by: meredithbead

Re: Prostate Cancer Diagnosis - 04/13/07 04:00 AM

Jeannine, my best wishes for you and your husband to get through this and into health.
Posted by: chickadee

Re: Prostate Cancer Diagnosis - 04/13/07 04:39 AM

Jeannine, we missed you too. I think it is great that you have researched and found what you are both satisfied to do. I am keeping you in prayer and look forward to you dropping in when you can.
Posted by: jawjaw

Re: Prostate Cancer Diagnosis - 04/13/07 11:31 AM

Jeannine, welcome back dear friend. My beloved Daddy had prostrate cancer and it wasn't in the early, but intermediate stages. Guess what? It was cured! So take heart. Daddy had the "seed" surgery where they implant tiny radioactive seeds inside that surround and kill the cancer. I don't remember the success rate, statistically, but it was very, very, high ... something like 98%? Anyway, it was successful.

I want you to know your intelligent and caring voice is missed here and we'll be holding you both close to our hearts! If you get the chance, let us hear from you now and then.

JJ
Posted by: mrs_madness

Re: Prostate Cancer Diagnosis - 04/13/07 04:32 PM

When I first saw your post, I was rattled by it. When people ask for sympathy in a time of unforseen tragedy I never know what to say to them. But my heart goes out for you both.

I hope you're able to find a way to cope and have friends to help you manage. Here's a hug.
Posted by: Saundra

Re: Prostate Cancer Diagnosis - 04/15/07 11:39 PM

Jeannine, my father had a surgery for it decades ago and lived to be 90. I wish you and your husband the best.
Posted by: Dotsie

Re: Prostate Cancer Diagnosis - 04/16/07 03:09 PM

Jeannine, athanks for jumping in and sharing so your boomer sisters can carry you in prayer. I hope you have gotten great advice and are hopeful because I too have known men who have been diagnosed, cured and are still lving. One was in his 30s and is now in his late 50s.
Posted by: gims

Re: Prostate Cancer Diagnosis - 04/23/07 12:53 AM

I was watching a PBS special on cancer last week. One of the physicians/scientists/researchers made a comment specifically about prostate cancer. He said they did a study and found during autopsies that a very high percentage (don't remember the number, but it was high, because it caught my attention) of men have prostate cancer cells. The remainder of his comment was the clincher... most prostate cancer cells do not develop into full blown cancer.

Later in the show, one of the gentlemen stated we all have cancer cells growing in our bodies constantly and that some mutate, sometimes growing into what we label "cancer" cells (even they are initially cancer cells), but others die off... but they are there constantly.

It was the Charlie Rose show. Here's a list of his guests:

SIR PAUL NURSE President of The Rockefeller University

HAROLD VARMUS President, Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center

DAVID NATHAN President Emeritus, Dana-Farber Cancer Institute

DEB SCHRAG Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center

MARTIN ABELOFF Director, The Sidney Kimmel Comprehensive Cancer Center at Johns Hopkins

Very interesting show... don't know if this is it in its entirety Charlie Rose Show PBS, but you can find at least some of it through this link (find Wednesday, April 18th, 3rd down center column as of this posting):
http://www.charlierose.com/
David Nathan was the one who made the comment about cancer cells growing in himself as he spoke (not verbatim).
Posted by: Dotsie

Re: Prostate Cancer Diagnosis - 04/23/07 04:54 AM

gimster, sounds like a show well worth watching. It doesn't sound very hopeful though. Was it?
Posted by: gims

Re: Prostate Cancer Diagnosis - 04/23/07 04:05 PM

I came away hopeful. At the end, the host and guests did a recap, along with what they see for the future. Many concurred there are good things coming... medicines, diagnostic tools, non-invasive surgeries, collaborative effort among researchers, pooling of information (a central database), international sharing, and so on.
I'm sure I've missed something, but like I said, I came away encouraged.
Posted by: TVC15

Re: Prostate Cancer Diagnosis - 04/23/07 04:53 PM

Wishing you and hubby all the best Jeannine!
Posted by: chatty lady

Re: Prostate Cancer Diagnosis - 04/23/07 10:41 PM

There are some natural herbs out there, Saw Palmetto is one, thats great for men with or with prostrate problems. Check it out.
Posted by: Laurel

Re: Prostate Cancer Diagnosis - 04/27/07 04:19 PM

Jeanine,
Glad to see you on the forum.

I'll keep you and your husband in my prayers.

Take care,
Laurel
Posted by: Jeannine

Outlook Bright - 05/16/07 06:55 PM

Thanks to everyone for their kind words of support.

Jaw-Jaw mentioned the seed implant, and that's the treatment option my husband chose. He came through the procedure with flying colors, and his doctor stated he could not be more pleased with how it all went. In a matter of but a few days, my husband was up and about, and doing quite well. Though pain medication had been prescribed, he did not feel it necessary to make use of it.

He will now begin the outer radiation treatments, once a day, five days a week, for six weeks. These treatments will have no ill effect on my husband. They are given in order to maintain a certain level of radiation in the implanted gold seeds, and to zap any cancer cells that may have leaked from the prostate gland into other parts of the body. This follow-up treatment I felt was just good old common sense, and part of the reason we opted for the seed implant.

My husband was fortunate to have been accepted for treatment by the doctors at the clinics here in Atlanta, established by Dr. Frank Critz, a pioneer in the treatment of prostate cancer.

Radiotherapy Clinics of Georgia

When I did research, and discovered the cure rate was exactly the same, for the implants, as for radical surgery, for early stage prostate cancer, and that my husband would need not suffer through a long and often painful recovery period, the implants seemed the right choice. We all know, Ladies, how much of a toll on a person, major surgery can take.

My husband and I remain optimistic that the treatments will be fully effective.

As someone mentioned here, prostate cancer is rarely the cause of death, for men. It is a slow growing cancer, though, as our doctor told us, not as slow growing as originally believed. The real danger for men, is the possibility of leakage of cancer cells from the prostate into adjoining areas of the body, where they become more aggressive in growth.
Posted by: jawjaw

Re: Outlook Bright - 05/16/07 07:04 PM

Jeannine how wonderful! I'm so glad you opted for this surgery and the recovery, as you said, is minimal. Daddy took aspirin or Advil or something like that, afterwards. I'm so happy for you both! And thank you for dropping in and letting us know of his successful surgery! Wuhoooo!