I am back...sort of.....

Posted by: Micki

I am back...sort of..... - 05/13/05 06:52 AM

Well, I am back at the computer, although not back to speed in my life as yet. It's been a bear of a four weeks or so and I am not the better for it this time.

I had my thigh and leg surgery on April 18th. This was THE worst surgery I have EVER had. Every other time I was ever operated on, I was up and about within a week, 10 days at most. This one really kicked my butt. I am severely anemic, was passing out from that, had a devil of a time with the drugs, ended up with a 104 degree fever and an infection, and now have a three inch long, two inch wide and two inch deep open wound on the inside of my left leg that has to be dressed with wet-to-dry packing and meds twice a day. Dad is my saviour once again...he took complete control of the house, dogs, me, etc.

I have had pretty good luck with the weight. I lost another 29 pounds from this surgery, so now I am in 16's instead of the Omar-the-Tentmaker sizes that I used to wear. I am not looking to be super-skinny...I am just fine like this, although I know I will lose more as I can walk to exercise again.

Thank you for all your thoughts, calls, prayers, cards and well-wishes.
Posted by: Dianne

Re: I am back...sort of..... - 05/13/05 06:45 PM

Gosh, major surgery. It made me hurt just reading about it.

Glad you're back and on the mend. God bless Dad!
Posted by: smilinize

Re: I am back...sort of..... - 05/14/05 07:08 AM

Micki,
I'm so sorry to hear of your pain. Wrap yourself in your Dad's love and know that boomers are in prayer for you.
smile
Posted by: Vicki M. Taylor

Re: I am back...sort of..... - 05/14/05 07:38 AM

Welcome back, Micki. I'm so sorry you are in so much pain. Your surgery sounds like it really took a toll on you. Thank God for your dad. So glad to hear that he's there for you.

Here's hoping you heal quickly and healthy.
Posted by: Dotsie

Re: I am back...sort of..... - 05/13/05 08:29 PM

Hey Micki, great to see you again. Micki was one of the original post-ers at BWS.

Micki, want to tell them how much weight you've lost, what you've been through, etc? It's a wonderful story and most of the women visiting BWS these days haven't heard it.
Posted by: Micki

Re: I am back...sort of..... - 05/13/05 08:50 PM

Well, in 2000, my husband died from colorectal cancer after a five year battle. He was 51 when he died in April (I still cannot believe it has been five years already). I pretty much sat like a stone, not eating or anuything else and just kept getting bigger and bigger...I was well over 450 pounds by the time I decided to look into gastric bypass surgery. I had Roux-en-y surgery in April 2002 and to date am at just under 200 pounds. I have also had an abdominoplasty and thigh and leg lift in the past 6 months. What with Dad's surgery and illness last year this time and Mom dying right before Tim did after a long illness, we have had some pretty major stuff happening to us for the last 10 years.
Posted by: Lynn

Re: I am back...sort of..... - 05/14/05 12:55 AM

Micki
Sounds like you have had a time of it and a long period of time too.

Will try to send good positive energy your way for healing.

I will be having surgery on June 8 but nothing like what you have been through. My prayers go out to you.

Lynn
Posted by: Dianne

Re: I am back...sort of..... - 05/14/05 06:25 AM

Oh Wow! Micki, you're an amazing woman. Good for you and bless your heart. You should be so proud of yourself. I just have to say it again: WOW! [Eek!]

Re: I am back...sort of..... - 05/15/05 07:39 AM

I haven't seen Micki since this last surgery, but she was looking great before it. She's one awesome woman. If you met her you would be taken in with her infectious laugh and loving spirit. She's an admirable person. Rooted in family!

I guess we've known one another since I was born. Our dad's were in Korea together and are still great friends. They are a wonderful support for one another.

Speaker, congrats on your new look. I think I remember telling you how much I liked your new picture on your site. I didn't realize what you had been through in recent years. You look fantastic. Have you written about it?
Posted by: Songbird

Re: I am back...sort of..... - 05/16/05 10:09 PM

Micki, Congrats on your weight loss... so glad to know you are feeling better! Thank God for fathers who care!

Will have you in my prayers.
Posted by: meredithbead

Re: I am back...sort of..... - 05/17/05 02:30 AM

Micki,

Here's hoping for a complete and rapid (from this point on!!!) recovery.

Re: I am back...sort of..... - 05/17/05 06:53 PM

speaker, so Christians don't have weight issues? [Eek!] Weird.

[ May 17, 2005, 11:54 AM: Message edited by: Dotsie ]
Posted by: DallasGal

Re: I am back...sort of..... - 05/19/05 06:28 PM

Micki, you sure have had quite a few life changing events in recent years, but let me tell you I am in awe and wow, over 250 pounds gone! I am so happy for you.

Dotsie, I have seen very few books out there by Christian authors, especially talking about GBS, which many of my friends have had and look great! Allison Bottke of God Allows U-Turns had this surgery and wrote about her experiences in a book that I believe it being turned into a for TV movie. She is a sweetheart. Donna Patrow has a wonderful weight loss/spiritual enrichment plan/program also.

I just don't think religious circles are ready for "cosmetic" anyting. =) However, I know that I am a supporter of just about anything cosmetic or otherwise that would motivate or encourage people to be the best they can be.

Re: I am back...sort of..... - 05/19/05 08:19 PM

Dallas, positive self esteem does wonders for everyone involved. It's easier to love othres when we love ourselves first. [Wink]