The Silent Killer

Posted by: DJ

The Silent Killer - 07/08/04 04:20 PM

Three years ago I married a widower (we're both over 50-- but that's another story). His late wife died of ovarian cancer. You all probably know this, but supposedly there aren't any clear symptoms.

This week, though, some researchers at Johns Hopkins hospital here in Baltimore said that there are some signs, but you and your doctor have to be really suspicious to fear ovarian cancer -- bloating, constipation and weight gain.

As with all of this medical research, they seem to be coming very late to actually studying female bodies. You know, they used to only study men, and then generalize to women.
Posted by: jawjaw

Re: The Silent Killer - 07/08/04 05:05 PM

That's because it was MEN doing the research...

and besides that, they don't want to give up all the drugs involved if they found cures...eh?

JJ
Posted by: Dotsie

Re: The Silent Killer - 07/09/04 07:08 AM

quote:
Originally posted by DJ:
As with all of this medical research, they seem to be coming very late to actually studying female bodies. You know, they used to only study men, and then generalize to women.

Duh...this is something I'd never thought about before. Is it because more men leave their bodies to science? Come on ladies, we have to start giving it up... Just a thought.
Posted by: Lynn

Re: The Silent Killer - 07/09/04 01:59 AM

This is all pretty scary to me. I just learned last week I have an abnormal cyst on my ovary along with a host of other things. Anyway, I have gained 15 pounds since Sept. 03 but lost it with the help of BWS diet!

I have expereinced a slight change in bowle function not constipation really but I thought this was due to the change in diet. I go to the doc tomorrow so I will surely ask. What is the differnece between bloated and fat?
Posted by: chatty lady

Re: The Silent Killer - 07/09/04 04:40 AM

I think when your bloated you feel sort of puffed up and uncomfortable usually followed by gas. Fat doesn't really feel any special way. I think fat is just fat.

My whole problem seemed to begin with being constipated for 6 long days, I never felt so bad. I have always had good bowel activity and then BAM, not sure of the cause. I did have a whole body scan with the dye while in hospital and they said it showed tumors in the uterus that were benign. I wonder if Ovariuan cancer would show up that way....
Posted by: DJ

Re: The Silent Killer - 07/09/04 06:26 PM

As for why research hasn't until recently been done on women -- the money wasn't -- and maybe still isn't -- there.

Drug companies and other groups offer money to research universities to look for cures for particular diseases. So prostate cancer and heart disease (in men) took priority over breast and uterine cancer.

Think of all the years we heard about how men were at risk for heart attacks. Women got them too, but it became a big news item when they actually found out how high the rate was for women getting heart attacks.

Not only that, but surgeons make lots and lots of money doing hysterectomies. Why should they want to cure our uterus and give up that lucrative business? So there hasn't been any pressure. In too many cases, we all believe and respect the doctors, and are afraid to challenge them, so women get surgery that may not be necessary.

Let's face it -- in the past, women's lives and bodies weren't considered as valuable as men's. After all, men were the providers for their families. I think even life insurance paid out more for them, too, but don't know how that worked.