What Happened to My Ice Cream?

Posted by: Anne HolmesAdministrator

What Happened to My Ice Cream? - 05/25/12 11:36 PM

I don't buy ice cream very often, but I did pick up some Breyer's Butter Pecan the other day, as we had some special occasion which merited ice cream.

I am an ice cream purist, and I've bought Breyer's for years, because I could always count on their simple ingredients - which were all "real foods" with pronounceable names. You know: milk, eggs, cream, etc.

Well, imagine my surprise when I got home and happened to notice while putting the ice cream in the freezer, that it seems to be labelled "frozen dairy dessert."

I did some checking, and found out Breyer's has joined the "fake food" legion.

Here's someone else's blog, which deals with Breyer's fall from grace.

Well, I guess this means I will stick to my guns about healthy food - after we finish up this package, which I have now partially served, so I can't return it to the store.

Guess I'll either eliminate ice cream from our diets, or start learning how to make my own. Somewhere in the cupboard I think there's an ice cream maker that was a wedding gift I've never used....
Posted by: CrosstitchQueen

Re: What Happened to My Ice Cream? - 05/26/12 12:45 AM

I think that Breyer's has different versions.........some are still real ice cream, and others are "frozen dairy dessert" -- whatever the heck that is.
Posted by: yonuh

Re: What Happened to My Ice Cream? - 05/26/12 12:51 AM

I'm lactose intolerant, so can't eat ice cream without taking Lactaid, and even then, it doesn't always help. We only get Trader Joe's soy ice cream, cherry chocolate chunk. It's the closest thing to Ben and Jerry's Cherry Garcia we have found and we love it!
Posted by: jabber

Re: What Happened to My Ice Cream? - 05/26/12 10:49 PM

Now this is depressing. I always buy Breyer's Ice Cream. Good grief isn't anything real any more????

Re: What Happened to My Ice Cream? - 05/27/12 12:00 AM

Jabber, Crossstitch Queen is correct, SOME Breyer's is still real ice cream these days, while some is "frozen dairy whatever." I saw an ad for Breyer's in my grocery ads this weekend, and they were selling BOTH.

It looks like my favorite "vanilla bean" is still ice cream...

Then I looks for the official Breyer's website and discovered they have really expanded their line - now they even have lactose free vanilla should Yonuh be willing to give up her Trader Joe's soy version of her "Cherry Garcia" fave.
Posted by: jabber

Re: What Happened to My Ice Cream? - 05/27/12 07:58 PM

Guess I'll check the label from now on.

Re: What Happened to My Ice Cream? - 05/28/12 01:25 AM

I'm not giving up my soy ice cream, Anne! It's just too good. And jabber, I always read labels anyway, on everything we buy, including dog food and treats. I started doing that a few years ago. If there's anything on the label I can't pronounce, or if I don't know what it is, I don't buy it. And that goes for personal care products, too.
Posted by: Sandy N.

Re: What Happened to My Ice Cream? - 05/28/12 03:32 AM

Haagen-Dazs makes "Five" ice cream, with only five ingredients -- all "real." It's yummy too. Unfortunately, there aren't a lot of flavor choices.
Posted by: Di

Re: What Happened to My Ice Cream? - 05/28/12 03:33 AM

We no longer eat ice cream. HOWEVER, we are addicted to a custard locally called Caliches. After being introduced many years ago, ice cream is way too sweet for us. This custard is the BEST!! (yonuh, have you ever had/heard of it?)

Re: What Happened to My Ice Cream? - 05/28/12 01:38 PM

Never heard of that one, Di. I'll look for it.
Posted by: Di

Re: What Happened to My Ice Cream? - 05/28/12 02:44 PM

Caliches is a "place", yonuh. Used to be called "Scoopies" years ago. Then changed name. WHEN you come over this side of the wind tunnel, (hint, hint!) we'll have to go!!

Re: What Happened to My Ice Cream? - 05/28/12 08:52 PM

Sandy, I have tried the "Five" ice cream from Haagen Dazs. I agree, it is on my "short list" of "good" ice creams.

The only custard I have had is from a "smaller" burger chain restaurant, called Culver's, which is headquartered in Wisconsin. They serve frozen custard, but I generally avoid it, as I've anticipated that it was quite caloric. Just checked their nutritional brochure, and I guess - for whatever it's worth - there are 308 calories in a single scoop of vanilla.

Back eons ago when I was a grad student at University of Wisconsin-Madison, my favorite ice cream from Babcock, the dairy store was something called "orange custard chocolate chip."

I just checked, and they still make it.

Re: What Happened to My Ice Cream? - 06/28/12 06:48 PM

Here's a great list of good ice creams. Sure could use some on a hot, sticky day like today.

I see there are no soy-based versions, however, for our lactose intolerant friends. Maybe they can do that list next....

Re: What Happened to My Ice Cream? - 06/29/12 12:24 AM

I've had the Stoneyfield Farms organic ice cream - it's good!

Re: What Happened to My Ice Cream? - 06/29/12 09:00 PM

I can believe the Stoneyfields ice cream is good, I buy their yogurt. But I've never seen their ice cream in my stores. Will have to do some sleuthing.

Re: What Happened to My Ice Cream? - 06/30/12 02:36 PM

I wasn't impressed with their yogurt, Anne. My favorite is an organic soy yogurt that is creamy and tastes great. I don't like the fruit-on-the-bottom stuff because I can never get it to mix well, so I stay with the custard style, and the brand I buy only has the custard style - no fruit on the bottom, it's all mixed in. They even have a key lime flavor that I love.

Re: What Happened to My Ice Cream? - 06/30/12 07:27 PM

Hi Yonuh, I don't like fruit on the bottom yogurt either. What I buy from Stoneyfields is plain or French vanilla in the big (are they a quart?) tubs. I get either low-fat or fat free. Then I layer about a cup of it in a dish, with fresh or dried fruit and some Cascadian Farm organic granola. I generally add some cinnamon to the mix too. It may be a bit odd, but I like it.

Served alone, I think I would enjoy a key lime flavor, if it were available -- but as you say, I'd want it custard-style, not fruit on the bottom.