Walking is Great - But There Is Something Better

Posted by: Charlotte

Walking is Great - But There Is Something Better - 12/09/11 07:31 PM

Walking is a great exercise and I did it for years. However, once I got my body in condition from some very brisk walking, I moved up to a slow jog and then a little faster jog. By doing this I was able to burn off more calories in a shorter period and felt even better. You can do it too if you are already doing a lot of walking. I am 65 and hope to be doing when I am 75.
Posted by: Anne HolmesAdministrator

Re: Walking is Great - But There Is Something Better - 12/09/11 08:11 PM

Good point, Charlotte,

Though some of us find walking is better for our knees than is jogging.

My dad is a great example of the health value of walking. He has always walked as a way to stay fit. Now at 81 he still walks several miles a day.

Last summer when Steve and I stayed with him for a weekend, we woke up on a hot Sunday morning to find him gone, though his car was still in the garage. We worried a bit, but before long he showed up, looking jaunty and sporting a straw hat.

Turns out that while we slept in, he had walked to church -- a distance of several miles each way -- something he said he likes to do weekly. Apparently he only drives to church on rainy days, as he says it is no fun to sit in church in wet clothes!! LOL.

He looked none the worse for the trip, despite how hot it was that day!

I used to walk several miles to school and back in junior high and high school, and many miles a day when I was in college. I can tell that this has continued to help my health, even though I no longer do it.

Walking is something I intend to start doing again.
Posted by: jabber

Re: Walking is Great - But There Is Something Better - 12/10/11 02:35 PM

Welcome Charlotte in Texas. Glad U enjoy jogging!
Posted by: chatty lady

Re: Walking is Great - But There Is Something Better - 12/19/11 10:23 PM

I waited too long to begin a walking regime and it has taken a toll on my body which I am suffering from now at ths age.
Posted by: jabber

Re: Walking is Great - But There Is Something Better - 01/11/12 02:24 PM

Ever notice how many joggers get murdered out there; be careful
if going out'n about alone!!!