Walking topics

Posted by: Di

Walking topics - 10/22/10 01:47 PM

Ok, I'm back to talking again, too!! After my dr. appt yesterday..who told me we need to walk 10,000 steps a day!! I called my neighbor/partner in crime that we need to get back to it. Soooo...

I thought I'd start a thread about different topics to discuss. Other than the norm of daily stuff, women issues..I thought of, maybe, picking a certain year and talking about it. A year from the past.

Or a person......or a certain day at work etc. Something off the wall and fun.

Any ideas?
Posted by: Anne HolmesAdministrator

Re: Walking topics - 10/22/10 07:26 PM

Hi Di,

Ooh, I like your idea - picking a year from the past and talking about it. Or maybe an event we can all remember, if we're too rusty on the exact year...

How about talking about little events we've lived through that ended up changing history. Like maybe, what you were doing the moment you heard Elvis died. Or what you were doing when man walked on the moon, Princess Di's wedding took place -- or the first time you went out for pizza?

Not that the pizza event changed history, of course. But when I was growing up, we did not go out to eat very often. So I actually remember the first time my mother took us to McDonalds, the first time I went to a pizza restaurant with friends, the first time I ever ate tacos... Yikes!!
Posted by: Di

Re: Walking topics - 10/26/10 05:46 PM

Here's a topic....last time we went walking we were met by a HUGE pig! I mean this guy was BIG! He had two horns....not sure what it was but we did an about-face and our pace surely picked up!

We think that a farm nearby raises them.....but I think it was a boar.

So.....our next trek will be on the other side of the road where the horses are!

Soon I'd love to post a pic of what we see on our walk. Anyone else??
Posted by: Anne HolmesAdministrator

Re: Walking topics - 10/26/10 10:23 PM

Hi Di,

Do they have javelinas in New Mexico? They have them in Arizona, where my mother lives. THOSE are some ugly wild "pigs"...

As you can see in the wikipedia article I have linked to, these things roam around subdivisions in the Tucson area... Arizona Javelinas
Posted by: yonuh

Re: Walking topics - 10/27/10 01:04 AM

They do. We live in town and have encountered them while walking the dogs in the early morning or early evening. That's when they go foraging.
Posted by: jabber

Re: Walking topics - 10/28/10 03:24 PM

Well, we've come across coyotes, wolves, fox, and raccoon, while walking, and few questionable humans.

Re: Walking topics - 10/29/10 01:43 PM

Saw some deer this morning!

Re: Walking topics - 10/30/10 01:27 PM

Di,
Not sure what I'd do coming upon a wild pig? Within the past
couple of years, I remember hearing about wild pigs out near
Allegany State Park. As I recall, someone killed 'em. Is there
a tendency for the to attack a person?