Got a SPRING in your walk?

Posted by: jawjaw

Got a SPRING in your walk? - 05/06/09 01:47 PM

I don't know what it is about the seasons, but they affect me. Do they you? Spring comes and I immediately tell myself it's time to walk every day. I get excited, motivated, and go so far as to actually put on my tennis shoes. Then the excuses come...too hot, too rainy, too many good shows on TV, too much grout in the bathroom, my nails need painting, my dust needs remov---okay, that's carrying it a bit far. Who dust anymore?

All joking aside, I can tell you what time of the year it is by my motivations and actions.

Spring = walking (I actually DO walk...honest injun)
Summer = looking around the house for yard sale stuff to make money for upcoming vacation. I'd sell my dog if I could.
Fall = digging out my friends (also called sweat pants)
Winter = Looking up good soup recipes on the net. I must have a hundred of them.

You? Do you walk in the Spring, sweat in the summer, change over to sweats in the Fall and cook in the winter? What do the seasons say to you?

Re: Got a SPRING in your walk? - 05/07/09 03:39 PM

Don't tell me that not one single person in here walks. No? You walk to the refrigerator, don't you? That counts. At least it does to me. In all honesty, I was trying to find out WHAT comes to mind when you face each season, Spring, Summer, Winter, and Fall. That's all.
Posted by: Eagle Heart

Re: Got a SPRING in your walk? - 05/07/09 05:42 PM

I walk around the mall...it's four-season, cool in summer and warm in winter, safe (no dogs, perverts or exhaust fumes [unless you count hubby's propensity for gas]) and lots to look at along the way.

Where we live is surrounded by industry/retail. Lots of traffic, lots of noise, lots of pavement. So we do tend to go elsewhere to walk, and usually combine it with errands.

As to what comes to mind when facing each season? Hmmm.

Spring - gardening, setting up the backyard to feed the critters, watching the evolution of colour in my perennial garden...crocuses, violets, daffodils, grape hyacinths, tulips...glorious!

Summer - colourful capris and visiting hubby's family way up north - nice, sunny but not as brutally hot as here.

Fall - usually we try to do our major traveling during the fall. Also planting more bulbs so we can have more crocuses, violets, daffodils, grape hyacinths and tulips next spring!

Winter - hibernation. Long johns. Hot homemade soups. Cuba for six weeks where we can walk on hot sunny beaches instead of slip-sliding along dangerously icy sidewalks!

And now that I have my Wii Fit, I can exercise whenever I want, no matter what the weather. Nice.
Posted by: Dotsie

Re: Got a SPRING in your walk? - 05/07/09 06:57 PM

I walk in the spring, summer and fall, and grow bigger in the winter. I'm so glad spring is here. Trying to drum up walking partners now.

The sun has finally popped through after too many days of rain. Once I get the mold off me, I'm going out to garden.
Posted by: chatty lady

Re: Got a SPRING in your walk? - 05/08/09 09:47 PM

Now that I am once again feeling stronger and stesadier I have been taking short walks adding a couple hundred steps a day. It has been in the low hundreds so I walk at dusk, its only 80 something then, LOL!!!
Posted by: Plains Woman

Re: Got a SPRING in your walk? - 05/10/09 03:22 PM

I walk 1 1/2 miles daily. I used to walk 3 but after a couple of years I didn't even want to get out of bed in the morning thinking of the walking I had to do. Finally told myself, duh self, you made the rule you can change it. So I dropped to 1 1/2 miles a day and don't have trouble facing the day now.

Let's see about the seasons. Spring is a season I simply can't wait for. Warmer weather, the grass turns green, animals have their babies, gardening begins, it's just a wake up time of year.

Summer is wonderful....as long as I have air-conditing to come into. Summer finally warms me clear through after the cold, cold, cold of winter.

Fall is actually my favorite time of year BUT there's always the gnawing feeling in my stomach of what's coming next. I love the trees changing, the animals getting winter coats, the harvesting of crops, the putting to bed of gardens. It's just an absolutely beautiful time of year with the fresh crisp weather, the blue skies and "feel" of the weather.

Winter...sorry, but I hate it. I'm originally from California and I loved winters for the first 25 years of living in Iowa. I now literally hate them and that's the way it is. I sometimes think if we lived where there were trees to stop the horrendous north winds it would help but in farm land there aren't a whole lot of trees.

Re: Got a SPRING in your walk? - 05/10/09 03:43 PM

Isn't it ironic how each season has it pros and cons. God knew what he was doing when he made the change of the seasons...we jump into each one welcoming the change, it stays a bit, then we tire of it and are ready for the next one. Amazing.

Of all of them, I suppose harsh winters are the ones I dislike the most. But then again, no mosquitos...
Posted by: yonuh

Re: Got a SPRING in your walk? - 05/10/09 04:26 PM

Plains woman, I can relate. Except I dread the summers here. The first few years, I didn't mind the heat because the winters are so mild I figured it was a small price to pay; and there's very little humidity. But either the summer humidity is getting worse, or I'm more used to it, because I hate summers now. It's already over 100 here, and I can't stand the heat any more. But whenever we think about moving somewhere else, we realize that the weather here is probably the best we're going to find outside of Hawaii. Neither of us can stand cold weather any more. And the thought of hurricanes, earthquakes, tornadoes, keeps us here where we have none of those.
Posted by: humlan

Re: Got a SPRING in your walk? - 05/10/09 05:37 PM

OOOOOHHHHH..I soo want to walk..I can´t jogg anymore..because of my bad knee. And I just can´t get motivated enough. When I get home from work..I am sooo tired. I work with small children..can´t that count for exercise? I wonder. I don´t sit down much at all..it´s up and down all the time. There is some standing while outside watching them all..and this is tough on the knees.

I feel very guilty for not going out to walk..I used to run almost daily and loved it.

The only thing I do quite faithfully is yoga..that I do almost every evening.

But it´s tough getting out there after work..even if it´s a LOVELY evening. I probably should do what you do, Chatty..start with a few small steps..and I mean a FEW! Maybe even 10 min out and 10 back the same way is too much for my brain to take in after work. I have to think less..every journey started with one step..or however that thought goes...

You just may have something there! I KNOW that you have been really ill and have had a tough time..but you are not giving up!!! You are taking 1 step at a time. I am really impressed..and inspired! Gotta think about what you are doing..AND GOOD LUCK, Chatty!!! You´ll end up getting far on your walks..I know you will..a lot farther than I have so far smile
Posted by: Lola

Re: Got a SPRING in your walk? - 05/10/09 09:35 PM

I still walk but, have a hard time with "springing" since I hurt my ankle in a train derailment a while back. It still poses a bother on some days and walking ten miles becomes a hard task...I do alright with five. At the very least, I do three a day.

Re: Got a SPRING in your walk? - 05/12/09 12:07 AM

Lola sweetie, try splitting up the walks to three or four shorter walks until the ankle builds its strength back again. I can't make it five miles so I walk one mile one to four times a day. The only place I can walk continually with no problem is back and forth across the swimming pool.
Posted by: Lola

Re: Got a SPRING in your walk? - 05/12/09 06:23 AM

Thanks, Chat.
Posted by: Edelweiss3

Re: Got a SPRING in your walk? - 05/12/09 06:51 AM

Lola, walking across a golf course is good, because the grass cushions your steps. Have you ever considered playing golf?

Re: Got a SPRING in your walk? - 05/12/09 11:22 PM

You're right about a golf course but being a golfer ED, the ground on the golfcourse in not very level and with her bad ankle a sprain could occur easily, if not sure footed. Just a thought until the ankel is better..

Re: Got a SPRING in your walk? - 05/16/09 05:02 PM

Hi! Just checked in to see how my fellow walkers are doing..and you guys are WAY AHEAD of ME!!! How do you find the time and the energy if you are still working?? Please..I need some inspiration and help here!

And SOOOOO MUCH GOOD LUCK to ALL!!!! smile
Posted by: yonuh

Re: Got a SPRING in your walk? - 05/16/09 05:21 PM

"The only place I can walk continually with no problem is back and forth across the swimming pool."

Chatty, I knew you were a wonderful person, but I didn't know you could walk on water!! smile

Re: Got a SPRING in your walk? - 05/16/09 10:14 PM

Very funny Yonuh...LOL!! And yes I can but not on the water. in or under the water if its too deep. I can't swim at all.
Posted by: orchid

Re: Got a SPRING in your walk? - 05/20/09 01:12 PM

Walking for me..is merely getting around. It's one of these 3 transportation options for me, which sometimes is using 1 option, or combining 2-3 options: cycling, walking and public transit.

On our public transit buses there are bike racks and on commuter trains you can bring your bike on during off-peak hrs. (which is only usually 3 hrs. in morning and late afternoon).

It's just nice that walking as a 2nd benefit..is exercise for me but I don't really think of it that way.

So you will find me walking in lousy weather if I have no other choice.

I do go for several weeks in spring/summer where walking for more than half hr. is wierd feeling because I'm on the bike so much during warm season. Walking requires slightly different leg muscles and in downtown Vancouver there are long hills to give you that exercise.

Something like Seattle, if any of you have been there.

Re: Got a SPRING in your walk? - 05/21/09 12:34 PM

yonuh, love your sense of humor.

I definitely walk more when the weather is better. Walked into town last night for dinner, but mainly because it was a gorgeous night and our son was uptown so we met him.

orchid, our youngest son lives in Brooklyn and works in Manhattan. He lost quite a few pounds when he first moved there. It just happened because he was doing so much more walking compared to living here and driving everywhere.

Re: Got a SPRING in your walk? - 05/24/09 01:02 AM

Your son Dotsie is living proof that walking more is a waistline trimmer.

Re: Got a SPRING in your walk? - 05/24/09 06:30 PM

Hmmm...more reason to get the butt out the door...which I have this past long week-end..but now work looms ahead again frown and then I get tired by the time I get home frown
Posted by: nancy j

Re: Got a SPRING in your walk? - 06/14/09 04:06 PM

I have been walking about an hour a day. I have three dogs and it is too hard to walk all three at once, so I walk the two smaller ones together for about 20 to 30 minutes. Then, I walk the American Bulldog for about 35. I used to ride my bike about 5 miles every morning, but the dogs need the walk.
Posted by: Di

Re: Got a SPRING in your walk? - 06/14/09 04:09 PM

How neat that you consider your dogs, nancy. Kudos to you!

We do, too. We take all five out in the desert to run. They must go 10x's the distance we go while they weave in/out, chasing rabbits or each other.
Posted by: jabber

Re: Got a SPRING in your walk? - 06/19/09 08:40 PM

Spring = watching the trees bud and leaves grow; planting plants and arrival of hummingbirds
Summer = swimming in pool
Fall = Sept. vacation; Oct. birthdays
Winter = Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years; March vacation

Walk all year 'round; nothing new there. Those are the things
I think about each season! Honest injun, jj! And jawjaw, if you
ever seriously consider selling Dolly, I'd like first dibs! Love
her face! See's a cutie!
Posted by: Sadie

Re: Got a SPRING in your walk? - 07/16/09 04:11 AM

I walked a mile yesterday and walking the track at my old school here . I am on a diet and need to get my blood presure down with a weigh gain of 35 pds and not as winded as I first started out . Walking clears the head of any cobwebs and helps the blood flow to the brain . Jabber love what you have written . Walking realives stress too .

For the winter either the gym or basic ballet bare work for me . Adult classes once a week . Got to get the pounds off and get rid of my jelly roll it is getting smaller . LOL

Sadie

Re: Got a SPRING in your walk? - 07/17/09 02:44 AM

I am doing what I call "house walking" because it is 112* out there right now and I don't need heat stroke. Plus the blacktop is too hot for my dogs feet. Many people don't realize how hot that blacktop gets and dogs pads WILL BURN!!! So my walking consists of all around the house and up and down the long hallway. Its not scenic but at least its walking plus I do my up and down chair exercise, and walking in place during TV commercials.
Every little bit helps. I have even parked my bike for awhile, that blazing hot desert sun will blister your skin in 15 minutes if you aren't careful.

Re: Got a SPRING in your walk? - 07/24/09 02:21 PM

Chatty,
That's a great idea, house walking. My friend walked around her basement several times a day, before the world put her in a care facility. She lived in the country and that seemed like a good way to exercise. I've been listening to weathermen report how hot it is where you live. Geese, you can bake cookies inside your car and fry eggs outside. You folks don't need a stove oven!
Posted by: Madelaine

Re: Got a SPRING in your walk? - 07/24/09 04:21 PM

I decided to ramp up my exercise program to include walking home from work once a week. That's 4 miles up hill.
The first 3 walks I did my feet were very sore, last week they swelled up too (it was close to 90 degrees) One toe in particular even blistered. Well, Wednesday i walked again and to my delight, my feet felt better. I also try and walk a mile a day at lunch time but i discovered there is a big difference between a mile and 4 miles.

Re: Got a SPRING in your walk? - 07/26/09 01:46 PM

Anne327,
It sounds pleasant with the gentle breeze blowing in over the water. And 2 miles each way isn't so tiringly impossible.

Madelaine,
4 miles up hill, sounds a bit exhausting! Don't overdo it there, girl!

Re: Got a SPRING in your walk? - 07/27/09 06:16 PM

Madelaine, is that four miles each day? Wow. My feelt don't sweel, but my hands do, especially when walking in the heat. I run them under cold water when I get home and it feels so good.

Anne and chatty, I just walked to the post office and it's hot and humid here too. Yuck!

Re: Got a SPRING in your walk? - 07/28/09 01:40 PM

I heard Austin had over 100 degree weather for somethin' like
40 days straight. Geese. And Chatty, you're in the thick of
the heat wave, there in Vegas. You had best keep your tranny in low, low gear!
Posted by: WellnessGR

Re: Got a SPRING in your walk? - 07/29/09 08:58 PM

The weather has been strange, high highs and high lows, not sure what to make of it. It's great you are finding ways to get in your walks and runs. I know so many people who use weather as an excuse (and it is a good one!). Has anyone tried mall walking? I've heard of malls opening before 9 to give people access to the floors just outside of the stores so they can get their walks and or runs in. It's definitely a good way to avoid the high temps in the summer (and bad ozone), allergies in the spring and fall and low temps in the winter. I've never tried it (unless you count walking around the mall when the stores are open as exercise ;-), but would be interested to know what others think.

Re: Got a SPRING in your walk? - 08/15/09 04:11 PM

Does anyone actually know the added benefits, if any, to walking up a hill? Many more calories burnt, if so. Strength builder if it is. I haven't found any informstion on this.

Re: Got a SPRING in your walk? - 08/19/09 08:24 PM

There's a small study about uphill walking just out from the American Heart Association which may have some implications for type 2 diabetics and others! Active.com

Re: Got a SPRING in your walk? - 08/19/09 08:25 PM

Hmmm. Can't get the link to work. Try this: http://www.active.com/walking/Articles/Study_looks_at_benefits_of_uphill__downhill_walking.htm

Re: Got a SPRING in your walk? - 09/12/09 12:46 AM

As soon as it gets into the 80's I will begin walking again. But when we've had only three digit heats daily it's crazy to try to walk. I have even hung up my bike till the 90's return. It is going down at night now somewhat, so maybe in the evenings soon we will be walking.

Re: Got a SPRING in your walk? - 09/15/09 09:13 PM

I noticed the gym isn't so packed yet during the first half of the week. I'm taking advantage of that, getting on the treadmill early. I'm sure it will be harder as as we approach Thanksgiving and other holidays...

Re: Got a SPRING in your walk? - 09/15/09 09:47 PM

There will be more pounds on the treadmill thats for sure. I can smell that turkey already, YUM!!

Re: Got a SPRING in your walk? - 09/24/09 08:22 PM

How are people working in their walking programs this fall? I'm having trouble now that it's cooler and darker in the morning...Anyone having the same issue?

Re: Got a SPRING in your walk? - 09/24/09 09:31 PM

I'm taking it you don't work from home? I love the cooler climates, but then again, I live in Alabama where our weather is called HUMIDITY. Period.

What I've been doing is walking either later in the afternoon (when the sun has gone down a bit, or walking later in the morning, but before the sun gets so hot. Thirty minutes can make a lot of difference. I don't like to wait too long because I don't eat breakfast until I'm done with my walking. I don't like to eat too late in the morning because that throws off lunch, and dinner.

I've really had no troubles adjusting to the time/sun difference...and we have daylight savings time change coming up, too.

Re: Got a SPRING in your walk? - 09/24/09 09:38 PM

Wellness, I love falling out of bed and onto the sidewalk when it's light enough in the morning. I'm much more of a morning exerciser. In addition to the light issues, my walking partner is a teacher and has to be at school early.

We've been walking late afternoon, or early evening. We're not looking forward to the darkness at night. We'll have to take our gig inside at the Y and neither of us like that.

What are you doing?

Re: Got a SPRING in your walk? - 10/14/09 11:47 PM

Well, I retired my bike and have hit the sidewalk walking instead. I feel better already and the weather is gorgeous.

Re: Got a SPRING in your walk? - 11/30/09 12:32 AM

In the Remedy Magazine I just finished they show how to do the Frankenstein walk. It looks weird but feels amazing.

Re: Got a SPRING in your walk? - 12/22/09 01:49 AM

Nope more like stiffness in my steps, from all this cold, windy weather we are experiencing. I think I will have to thaw out before there is any spring in my step again.
Posted by: meredithbead

Re: Got a SPRING in your walk? - 12/30/09 12:18 AM

I do the most walking/hiking in the winter because that's when our weather is the best. 60s and sunny today. I have more energy when it's not so hot.
Posted by: Dee

Re: Got a SPRING in your walk? - 01/01/10 10:56 PM

New Year's Resolution: Walk with my neighbor everyday (well 5 days a week?). We walked our first mile today...it's cold here...had on 3 layers and a scarf...brrrrrr.

Have any of you made a resolution about walking/getting healthy? I've promised myself that I'd lose 20 pounds by my next birthday (the big six oh). My neighbor and I have a thing where if we feel ourselves getting an urge for sweets that we'll call and talk the other out of it...I can hear Traci now "Dee...back away from the chocolate!" Oh...chocolate...how will I ever survive?
Posted by: P.J.

Re: Got a SPRING in your walk? - 01/02/10 12:20 AM

I walk my little mutt-babies about an hour every day and I also just started taking a spin class at my gym. Wow...what a workout! I still love to be outside, tho, and I really love to walk/hike.

I definitely have some resolutions about staying fit this year. I am normally a very fitness/food conscious person but I got a little too relaxed when I first moved to Austin back in July. The mexican food and bbq here are out of this world, not to mention the margaritas! By the first of September I discovered my jeans were tighter. Since I refuse to buy bigger cothes I am resolved to reel it in and either walk or spin it off!

Re: Got a SPRING in your walk? - 01/02/10 05:29 AM

PJ...what is a spin class?

Re: Got a SPRING in your walk? - 01/02/10 03:15 PM

Dee, here is a great description of spinning:

http://bicycling.about.com/od/trainingandfitness/gr/spinning.htm

It burns a TON of calories.....450 up to 900 calories per hour, depending on how fast you go, how much tension you use, and the techinique used. smile
Posted by: Dianne

Re: Got a SPRING in your walk? - 01/03/10 03:38 PM

It's a butt-kicker, Dee! It's the music that keeps you going.

Re: Got a SPRING in your walk? - 01/03/10 08:13 PM

I could never do spinning. I am not fit enough. I think you have to be in great condition in the first place to pull such an exercise program through.

I got myself the Zumba Fitness DVD. It’s pretty good, and I do work up a sweat. And at the same time it’s a concentration thing to get all the moves right, in the correct order, and fast. I have to leave out some moves, because my knee has been reacting to them. Anyone else have the DVD? What do you think?

Re: Got a SPRING in your walk? - 01/04/10 12:08 AM

I don't have the DVD but there is a Zumba class at my gym. smile

Re: Got a SPRING in your walk? - 01/06/10 06:38 PM

Just keep doin' whatever you can to stay fit. There's a TV or
radio commercial that says, "Not exercising is equal to smoking
2 packs of cigarettes everyday." That doesn't seem possible.
Does it? Geese. Who knew?

Re: Got a SPRING in your walk? - 01/06/10 08:59 PM

jabber, I've never heard that. Yuck!

I'd been walking at least five days a week prior to this frigid weather. I've walked once in the past week. I'm dying to get out there, but my walking partner had a teeny surgery and can't walk until Firday. COme on Friday.

PJ, I did a spinning class once, meaning I only did one class. It was a tough one. My neighbor/friend teaches it at the Y. Once was enough. I was toying with taking the class for the whole term but changed my mind. It was so hard.

I've dropped out of a couple other classes at the Y too. I much prefer to be outside. That's my excuse.

Re: Got a SPRING in your walk? - 01/07/10 02:37 PM

That commercial seems a bit extreme 2 me, Dotsie. I've heard it
several times and it makes me cringe! I've been exercising for
years and never lose any weight but never gain either. So I don't know. It must just B me!

Re: Got a SPRING in your walk? - 01/07/10 05:16 PM

I'm a big fan of the treadmill, mostly because it does such nice things for my abs and obliques. If I do a consistent treadmill program where I alternate a walk/jog I don't even have to worry about crunches or other ab exercises. If you move your arms while jogging on the treadmill you are forced to twist at the waist and over time it will give you some amazing definition in that area. Well, as long as you keep your diet clean as well. Diet is about 75% of it, especially when it comes to the abs!

Re: Got a SPRING in your walk? - 01/08/10 09:54 AM

P.J., your post ALMOST makes me want to go to the Y and get on the treadmill. You make some great points about using one. When I do go to the Y, I prefer the cross-trainer because I believe you get more bang for your buck. It really works the arms, and I burn more calories than when I use the treadmill. But using neither is getting me nowhere. Good for you. Keep up the good work.

Re: Got a SPRING in your walk? - 01/09/10 01:44 AM

ATTENTION Ladies who worry about having fatty, jiggly upper arm problems, or wings as many call them!!!

My friend found this on a late night infomercial and told me and I ordered it about three weeks ago. Well, I am already seeing a difference in my flabby upper arms, they are getting smaller and tighter. I kid you not!!! This little gem is worth it's weight in gold.

Check this out, it is a mere $19.95 and it really does the job.

www.ShakeWeight.com
Posted by: Dianne

Re: Got a SPRING in your walk? - 01/14/10 12:37 AM

Thanks so much, Chatty. I was looking for a way to work out my arms without injuring my elbow again. This may be it!

Re: Got a SPRING in your walk? - 02/05/10 11:44 PM

This tool is amazing and I can already see a difference.

Re: Got a SPRING in your walk? - 02/16/10 04:04 PM

Someone PLEASE inspire me!!!! I can't seem to get into the mood to do anything. I looked at the Zuma site and that looks pretty cool...and I'd like to buy a treadmill...it would benefit both Larry and I. But, where to put the darn thing? He has a full total gym in his tool shed and it's just gathering dust and spiders...UGh!
How does one become motivated, again?

Re: Got a SPRING in your walk? - 02/16/10 04:35 PM

Oh Dee, I hear you!

I try to do at least stretching once a day. If I don’t, I feel immediately how my neck and shoulder muscles get tight. I have a couple of Tai Chi DVD’s. I enjoy doing the exercises because it’s a combination of stretching and meditating, and I love looking at the beautiful Hawaiian Beach backgrounds. After I do the stretching for about half an hour, then I put in my Zumba DVD and I work up a sweat for about 45 minutes. At first I was really disillusioned with the DVD. The steps were too complicated and fast. I mean I was like at least five steps behind, lol…Good thing I was doing this alone. But practice does make perfect, and I can really get into it now. The music is what motivates me.

A treadmill is just that; oh yawn, a treadmill. We have one, and it’s the biggest dust collector in the house.

Wish we could do the Zumba together and shake that thing with Riiiico! Gosh he’s cute.

Re: Got a SPRING in your walk? - 02/16/10 11:10 PM

Zumpa, is the best way to get out the stiffness and soreness in ones body, plus it's such fun and I always feel like I just started and am done already. I do believe this kind of hot pagan rhythm could wake the dead and have them a shaken...
Posted by: AvalonBlondi

Re: Got a SPRING in your walk? - 02/16/10 11:32 PM

Exercise isn't fun unless you have a buddy to do it with you...I can't get motivated either Dee...every day I say...today I'm going over and join the Y...and then I always find a way to talk myself out of going.tomorrow tomorrow tomorrow...I'm so bad at motivating myself!!!!
Posted by: Ellemm

Re: Got a SPRING in your walk? - 02/17/10 05:30 PM

My motivation would be Just Do It. Don't go buy fancy equipment unless you're pretty sure that's the kind of exercise you'd like to do. It will likely gather dust. Go to Collagevideo.com (I hope it's ok to put that in), look over their selection -- they have short video clips so you can get an idea -- get some dvds from anyplace and just make yourself get moving. Your motivation is that you'll feel a lot better afterwards.

My weakness is letting the day get away from me, so I work out early in the morning. I hate forcing myself into my workout gear but feel so much better as soon as I get started. I do Billy Blanks or Amy Bento 10 Minute workouts strung together.

Do not listen to the voices in your head that say no; just act like a robot and make yourself stand in front of the tv and do it. (At least that's what I have to do.) It takes a little while, but soon it will become a habit. Good luck!

Re: Got a SPRING in your walk? - 02/17/10 07:01 PM

I do yoga..because I can do it at home..at any time. I can do alot or very little..and it´s stretching, conditioning and strengthening (need it for my knees).

I read on my runner´s site that yoga has been found to keep cholesterol levels down, blood pressure down and sugar levels down. Runners usually scoff at things like yoga, you see.

smile

Re: Got a SPRING in your walk? - 02/19/10 01:50 PM

humlan, do you use any specific tape?

Avalon, too bad we don't live closer. We could go to the Y together. We have one a block from our home and I still don't go. However, I do walk with a friend who lives even closer to the Y than I do. We alk about 4-5 times a week, for about 45 minutes to an hour. I just love it. It's a great escape. Sometimes, after walking for an hour on Saturday mronigns, we end our walk at the bagel shop in town and treat ourselves to a bagel. It's the absolute best when we can sit outside to have our bagels. Ah, the simple pleasures in life.

Ellem, I do best exercising first thing too, but my walking partner is a teacher so we've had to walk when she gets home these days.
Posted by: AvalonBlondi

Re: Got a SPRING in your walk? - 02/19/10 11:42 PM

Dotsie , you are fortunate to have a walking buddy...I had one of those back when my kids were going through Middle school and high school..and besides getting out of the house and getting my heart pumping, we were able to successfully get each other through those trying teen years with our kids...

I love that you girls treat yourself on Saturday mornings...you certainly deserve it..:)

Re: Got a SPRING in your walk? - 02/20/10 12:23 AM

Oh Dotsie, if you want your walking exercises to be beneficial as far as weight loss goes, eat the bagel first, then go walking... Otherwise whatever calories you may have walked off go right back on while you are enjoying that bagel!!!

Re: Got a SPRING in your walk? - 02/22/10 02:06 AM

How funny. We never even thought of that.

Re: Got a SPRING in your walk? - 02/23/10 02:00 AM

How many times have we heard you say, I walk and walk and can't seem to lose an ounce!!! Hummm, those after walking bagels may be the reason?

Re: Got a SPRING in your walk? - 02/23/10 03:50 PM

I have to defend myself. Ha. We only get bagels on occasional Saturdays.