Cleaning Out the Attic!

Posted by: Pam R.

Cleaning Out the Attic! - 10/07/06 12:23 AM

Okay, this empty nest thing has me going. I am on a cleaning frenzy! I was in the attic today and sorted out all the old clothes that no one wears any longer and has been up there for over 10 years. I filled 15 large green garbage bags with clothes and brought them to the local Salvation Army. Here is an example: 73 pair of womens slacks, 48 blouses, 33 pant suits, 29 sweaters and so on, and so on! I am embarrassed when I look at the list of items I brought down there. I will say, however, it is a good feeling to know I am almost done with the clean-up. Next to go are all the old Christmas ornaments that no one has wanted to use in years. Oh, and the old yearbooks...my girls better come and get them along with those cabbage patch dolls! What a job, my back is killing me tonight.
Posted by: Dancing Dolphin

Re: Cleaning Out the Attic! - 10/07/06 12:28 AM

One other option to consider is donating decent used clothing to "back to work" programs. Some folks don't have anything to wear to an interview or a job, so this comes in handy for them.

Here's one: http://www.clothesthatwork.org/clothingdonation.php

Sometimes if you check around there are smaller local operations that would love your stuff.
Posted by: Jane_Carroll

Re: Cleaning Out the Attic! - 10/07/06 01:24 AM

I moved 18 months ago and 'cleaned house' then but recently I cleaned out 6 big bags of clothes and shoes that I took to the local women's shelter. It felt good to send some nice things because I knew they needed outfits for interviews and work. Giving to a specific program makes the decision making easier for me!
Posted by: Lola

Re: Cleaning Out the Attic! - 10/07/06 05:53 AM

That's a swell idea, Kathy. Especially so since most might be too skint to afford decent work attire for interviews on the first instance as returnees to employment. Charity shops are fine but they do sell on the clothes and some folks might not even have enough to afford it. Thanks. I must do that with some of the work clothes that I have.
Posted by: dejavu

Re: Cleaning Out the Attic! - 10/07/06 06:18 PM

I have a closet down in the basement used for storing out-of-season clothes. My husband has a trillion shirts and pants in there, things he has, um, outgrown but won't admit he won't eventually fit back into them. I would LOVE to clean that closet out but it's a touchy issue.
Posted by: Dotsie

Re: Cleaning Out the Attic! - 10/08/06 12:59 PM

Pam, this is soemthing I can't wait to do. WHen the kids all left for school, they went through everything and now all of the clothes they've out-grown or no longer want are stacked in the basement. I can't wait to go through them and begin giving them away. I often give stuff to friends with younger children. They are alwasy most appreciative. I tell them to give what they don't want to the Goodwill. I always try to get a bag of clothes together when the different organizations call the house and do pick-ups.

So Pam, are you all organized?
Posted by: Lola

Re: Cleaning Out the Attic! - 10/08/06 01:07 PM

Hi, Dotsie: Mom and her friends used to donate our old clothes, shoes and toys to Girls Town. Do they still exist?

Re: Cleaning Out the Attic! - 10/09/06 02:57 PM

I've never heard of Girl's Town in MD.
Posted by: dejavu

Re: Cleaning Out the Attic! - 10/10/06 03:29 AM

Tonight I went at least a step further in cleaning out that downstairs closet. I sorted his shirts by size. Tomorrow I'm gonna drag him down there and see if I can't persuade him to part with some of them.

I also went through MY clothes downstairs and selected some for Goodwill.

Re: Cleaning Out the Attic! - 10/10/06 10:40 PM

and doesn't it feel so good? I love getting rid of stuff.