Nest filling temporarily for the holidays?

Posted by: Dotsie

Nest filling temporarily for the holidays? - 10/27/08 03:50 PM

Just wondering what's going on with you and your families during the holidays?

My youngest sister and her hubby will be coming for Thanksgiving and I can't wait. IT's kind of them to leave their won three children to see Dad. It means all five of Dad's kids will be in town.

Our oldest son who lives in the city will come home for the day, but not sleep here. This will be a first. We are changing his room in to an office for Ross. It feels very weird.

Our daughter who is in college, and our son who lives in NYC will both be home for a long weekend. I can't wait. Already thinking about what to cook.

Do you clean house and cook when the kids come home? It's a great excuse to do so.
Posted by: Dancing Dolphin

Re: Nest filling temporarily for the holidays? - 10/27/08 04:07 PM

Sean and his wife Michelle will stay in Colorado for Thanksgiving, but her parents will visit them. Then they come home for 2 weeks at Christmas - yea!

It's been 8 months since I've seen them and I can't believe how much I miss having them around, dropping in, friends dropping in, etc.

For Thanksgiving it will be me, Dan, Ryan, my mom, and my best friend with her family, plus a couple of other people with no family around. The more the merrier! It seems weird to celebrate a holiday with just 3 people.

Yes Dotsie, I'll clean and cook. Having company is my main incentive for cleaning. My house is always "straightened" but you certainly can't eat off my floor! smile

Re: Nest filling temporarily for the holidays? - 11/01/08 12:04 PM

I'm glad to hear they're together in Colorado. That's great.

Your Christmas will be wonderful. I'm sure you can't wait.

I understand your missing them and their friends dropping in. Boy does it get quiet when they leave...
Posted by: chatty lady

Re: Nest filling temporarily for the holidays? - 11/01/08 11:50 PM

I don't care how clean mine, or anyones house is, I wouldn't want to eat off te floors anyway, so who cares, right? Live comfortably is my motto!

Re: Nest filling temporarily for the holidays? - 11/28/08 09:17 PM

WOW, was my nest ever full yesterday with people wanting a good meal. It was so much fun but I have to admit, after everyone went home, I had to collapse for a minute and wind down. You know i gripe alot about my EX, and with good reason BUT he said to me, "sit relax, I'll clean the mess." We had found a dog running loose out in the pouring rain, and he said, "just sit, and be with the dogs for now." Then he made me a cup of tea, and said, "I am the kindest woman he has ever known!" OMG< >I am still in shock!
Posted by: Edelweiss3

Re: Nest filling temporarily for the holidays? - 11/28/08 10:14 PM

Your Thanksgiving sounds just perfect, Chatty. And wow, your x is finaly realizing what he has in you! He should tell you that more often. smile

We had a big Thanksgiving dinner planned, about 20 people, ...but I canceled it a week before Thanksgiving. Things are too turbulent between my son and my DIL...and our sweet granddaughter is the pawn in all of this. Anyway, I just couldn't get the mood up for the rest of the family. They all understood...maybe next year....or better yet, maybe one of them will throw a dinner, and we could be guests for a change. Just a thought. wink

Re: Nest filling temporarily for the holidays? - 11/29/08 12:46 AM

chatty, I'm laughing at your shock. I'm so glad to her he expressed his feelings on THanksgiving. What a perfect little ending to your day.

EW, I'm sorry to hear about the goings on iwth your son and DIL. Dang it. I wish they could get their act together for their little girl, and for you! Did you have a turkey dinner with hubby, or did you bag it?

The other side of Thanksgiving - 11/29/08 11:22 AM

Yes, Dotsie I am getting tired of the family stress too. Hubby and I are trying to keep out of it, and just be there for our grandchild. We spent a lovely Thanksgiving with her. We took her up the Muenich Olympic tower where they have a rotating restaurant. There we ate Schnitzel and Chef Salad; since of course they don't celebrate Thanksgiving in Germany...no turkey on the menu. She was so happy , giving us wet kisses between mouth fulls. She can make her Opa literally melt.

Then we went for a walk through the beautiful Olympic park. Afterwards we bought our sweety new house shoes, and then we went to a cafe' and stuffed ourselves with marzipan cake and Cafe Latte'.

It's always a mixture of happiness and sadness when with her. She cries between her 'I love yous', and she literally begs us to take her back home (our house)... She couldn't be clear enough when she says she doesn't want to go back to Mommy and Daddy's house. No wonder;...an icy silence is the atmosphere over there. I wish I could just take her, protect her, and give her the stable home that she so direly needs.

I wonder, has there been a book written about a grandma kidnapping her grandchild? No, I'm not serious, - no not really, ...but maybe I am, no not really. Or?
Posted by: celtic_flame

Re: The other side of Thanksgiving - 11/29/08 12:33 PM

I didn't relise that it was still hard between your son and your dil, i am sad to hee that and maybee the distanse took a bigger toil than first relised (if i rember back) your grandkiddie sounds still like a little gem and i understand that need to care for her and make it all alright. hope it dose get better for all the families sake

Re: The other side of Thanksgiving - 11/30/08 07:40 AM

Thanks celtic. I know you don't have it exactly easy either;...raising your son practically by yourself. So your words mean very much to me.

Re: The other side of Thanksgiving - 11/30/08 01:33 PM

EW, oh how I'd love to travel with you on your outings. They always sounds like so much fun.

I'm praying the kids get their act together before Christmas so all of you can gather to celebrate without too much tension.

I know you were kidding about grandparent's rights, but I recently heard from two women lawyers who had researched grandparent's rights and were looking for ways to advertise it. However, they didn't want to pay so I never heard from them again. I'm sure you'd find lots of information if you Googled.

Re: The other side of Thanksgiving - 11/30/08 09:50 PM

Edelweiss, you could possible petition the court for temprary custody until things can be resolved between that air-head and your son. Maybe it would finally force them to either sh// or get off the pot in this game they are playing. That poor child, this is scarring her little psyche.

Re: The other side of Thanksgiving - 12/15/08 12:13 PM

Edelweiss, anything new regarding A? I am hoping for good news regarding your sons custody. I hope the holiday goes well.