Not for long

Posted by: Dotsie

Not for long - 04/29/08 08:30 PM

Our daughter will be moving back home next week. First thing she has to do is find a full-time job so she can build that savings account back up. Anyone familiar with this?

I know she's ready for a break, and deserves one. Poor thing is in the middle of exams now.
Posted by: ladyjane

Re: Not for long - 04/30/08 08:51 AM

We used to laughingly say about my daughter "here she comes, dragging her debt behind her." I remember when she arrived home from college. She, too, had to find a job and travel quite a ways back and forth. Then she began to build up her savings again. It was bittersweet as I remember. She was no longer a teenager but sometimes wanted to be one around us. Other times she would be an adult....interesting age, for sure. She came back a couple of times before making the big break and leaving the nest for good.
Posted by: Dotsie

Re: Not for long - 05/05/08 05:52 PM

LJ, love the saying. Fortunately, she's not in debt yet, just out of money. Thankfully, she has no bills at this stage of the game. Just needs cash to have some fun.

She comes home tomorrow and I don't think I'm ready for all her stuff to come pouring in the house again - boxes, bags, printer, computer, totes, plastic storage chests, hanging clothes, shoes, shoes, shoes. I don't know how it all fit in her dorm.
Posted by: Princess Lenora

Re: Not for long - 05/11/08 04:17 AM

Yes, but, can she do her own laundry now?
Posted by: keyholes

Re: Not for long - 06/10/08 05:51 PM

"shoes, shoes, shoes"

I had to laugh at that thought. I think my eldest daughter owns at least 100 pairs. I see that and I think Imelda Marcos. I never had a love affair with shoes though a couple of my daughters do.

I can empathize and looking back I think it was as hard on my daughters when they moved back in as it was on me. We got adjusted to living apart and then had to re-adjust living together. This only happened with 2 of my 4 girls. The other two? They were all too happy to live on mac and cheese and fish for quarters out of their sofas to pay the electric bill before coming back home to live.

It does seem a lot of kids want the security of home but are struggling with wanting independence too.