What are your three?

Posted by: jawjaw

What are your three? - 11/11/07 01:22 AM

Do you ever make list that are things you want to accomplish before you die? I put this under Retirement for two reasons. 1) I didn't want to cover up the Girlfriends post and 2) Seems that so many things we want to do have to wait until we are retired, or close to it.

If you do have such a list, would you like to share three things that you want to do before you die? It doesn't matter if it is something you've already accomplished, just name the top three...I'll start.

1) Be published in a national magazine
2) Travel to Scotland and Ireland
3) Be independently wealthy (did I hear laughter?)

Next?
Posted by: Eagle Heart

Re: What are your three? - 11/11/07 03:06 AM

1) Make an African safari - to travel and see as much of the world as possible
2) Publish a book that actually makes it into Amazon and national bookstores
3) Evolve myself into total well-being - physical, spiritual, mental, emotional, social & financial
Posted by: Anno

Re: What are your three? - 11/11/07 09:57 AM

1) Like Eagle, Travel and see as much of the world as possible
2) Love fully
3) Live fully - and right now, this is my biggest struggle
Posted by: dancer9

Re: What are your three? - 11/12/07 01:16 AM

I'm at a loss here! I had a list and I did it. Now, I am
1) looking for the next adventure,
2) keep giving back
I've had a magic life in some ways and a painful life in another. In making my personal life finally magic, I've covered my dreams. I worked very, very hard for my dreams and they have all come true.
But, I crave adventure, if I believe in the reason for it, so I hope to embrace the next one as I embrace the little ones now!
dancer
Posted by: gims

Re: What are your three? - 11/12/07 04:22 AM

1. Walk the Appalachian Trail (or a good part of it), by myself, no family or friends.
2. See the Northern Lights in person, this I would like to experience with family or friends.
3. Find contentment, releasing all doubts.
Posted by: Lola

Re: What are your three? - 11/12/07 07:46 AM

1. Transfer all my material possessions into joint ownership with my children so that they take of the benefit now and automatically when I die and would avoid the lengthy process of distribution by Probate. I have not told them yet so, it would be interesting to see how each would manage with discretion.

2. To pay forward.

3. Make a pilgrimage to Israel.
Posted by: Edelweiss

Re: What are your three? - 11/12/07 08:07 AM

Get that beach house
Get that beach house
Get that beach house
Posted by: Mountain Ash

Re: What are your three? - 11/12/07 10:22 AM

Gimster
WOW I longed to see the Northern Lights and I did.We went to the theatre in the city.An actor had a heart attack on stage.Drama indeed.So we left early and coming over the Tay Bridge I saw the Lights. So my disappointment was rewarded by the Univerese.I love it when I share a dream with some one,
here is my poem.

Northern Lights ©
Scotland

Finally I saw them.. the Northern Lights
After knowing and even singing about them
There above the distant town
A portal to some magical colouring palate

Movement altering moment by moment
Aurora’s silken scarf
Was she careless
Or did a breeze blow blessings

Heavenly Dancers… aptly named
Ever changing in the way
Newly spilt paint moves
When the water jar overflows

PS There is a Scottish song mentioning Northern Lights in case you wonder.
Posted by: orchid

Re: What are your three? - 11/12/07 11:42 PM

Gimster, interesting that you wish to do the Trail yourself. How much hiking do you do normally at this time?

I'm not sure I have the gumption, to make an incredible bike trip across a country myself. For strong, experienced cyclists, there tends to be this dream/fulfillment of cycling across Canada or the U.S.

For me,:

1. vacation home on coast
2. execution of a few great paintings
3. to still be in great health..so that I can travel more, etc. and be on the bike.

Re: What are your three? - 11/13/07 03:53 AM

MA, wow, the universe did bless you. I can't wait until I see them and I, too, can write a poem. Hope we're still in exchanges so I can share.

orchid, I could probably hike to the store and back (approx. 6 miles), but if given the chance to do the Trail, I'd train for it. My DH doesn't see reason behind my yearning and my obligations are here with my sick parents, aunt and my children and grandchildren. The Trail is going to remain on my wish list, though.

Lola, had we been asked for 4., a visit to the wailing wall would have been my 4th. It would come higher on the list, but I don't like travel over water.
Posted by: Countrygirl

Re: What are your three? - 11/13/07 07:56 AM

Mountain Ash, all together now..."The Northern Lights of old Aberdeen mean home-sweet-home to me....." Nice song...and I liked your poem too!

My three would be:

1. Travel across Canada on that train/tour thingy.
2. Take a trip on the Orient Express.
3. Drive a steam train.

(I have a love of trains as you can see!) I actually welled up with tears when I saw "The Mallard" steam train at the National Railway Museum in York, UK! One of my happiest moments was when I travelled on a steam train from Aviemore to Boat of Garten....bliss!
Posted by: Mountain Ash

Re: What are your three? - 11/13/07 10:42 AM

The Union of South Africa was refubished in my town (where I grew up) a relation and his gang dressed up and polished it into shining new)
Been to Inverness in a steam train...a most lovely trip
Are you in UK Countrygirl?
Mountain ash

Re: What are your three? - 11/13/07 12:28 PM

Bonnie Scotland, Mountain Ash! Lived here all my life!

Re: What are your three? - 11/13/07 06:16 PM

I'm curious to know how you came to love trains, countrygirl. This may not be the thread to discuss it on, but I find your interest in trains, well... interesting.
Posted by: ladyjane

Re: What are your three? - 11/13/07 06:49 PM

me, too....my hubby has a beautiful little train set and stares in wonder at trains like a little boy...
Posted by: Saundra

Re: What are your three? - 11/13/07 09:23 PM

Hannelore, you're sooo funny. We all get to visit the beach house, right? I might need more than three, but this is a beginning:

1. No more pain.
2. No more fear.
3. More love.

Re: What are your three? - 11/13/07 09:58 PM

I honestly don't know why I love trains!! I know nothing about them mechanically or anything like that...I just get all sentimental when I see an old steam train. A huge network of local railways were closed down in Scotland a few decades ago. One signature was all it took to wipe out a huge network of railway which criss-crossed all over my part of Scotland, connecting all the little villages and towns....I think it's so sad and would love to go back in time and see it in it's hey-day. Some of the old railway routes have been turned into cycle paths which is nice, especially when they pass old stations. I'm just an old-fashioned gal I suppose!
Posted by: Lola

Re: What are your three? - 11/13/07 10:39 PM

CountryGirl, we took my baby grandson two weeks ago for a dayout to ride good old Thomas the Tank Engine in an old railyard in Carmathenshire. Got to ride Percy, too. Fed them as well with water from a leaky bucket and Controller got to singing "There's a hole in my bucket, dear Percy, dear Percy..." I have never been on a steam train. That was as close as I got to riding one and was as thrilled as the grandchildren. I understand where this love for trains come from. The tiny museum they had in the railyard had photos of where old tracks used to be, where the motorways run now. It is sad how much have been lost to modernisation. Oh, I have a friend who is now living a boyhood ambition. He drives a train part-time and is a lawyer the rest of the week.
Posted by: Eagle Heart

Re: What are your three? - 11/13/07 11:09 PM

I've had a lifelong love of trains too. Mom used to say it was in my blood because some of her relatives were train conductors all their lives. I haven't made it all the way across Canada but did manage to travel from Halifax (Nova Scotia) to Ontario and then Ontario to Edmonton in the late 70's.

I've always wanted to set up a complicated train set in my basement, you know, with many trains on different levels running through mountains and villages. Our basement's too small...but our grandson's basement is the perfect size...LOL. Okay, put that on my list too of things to do before I die - set up a super-duper train system in my grandson's basement! Do you think he'd mind if I used him to make that particular dream come true?
Posted by: meredithbead

Re: What are your three? - 11/14/07 08:43 AM

Very nice poem, Mountain Ash.

My big three?
1. Have my book in the New York Times Best Seller list (may as well dream BIG!)
2. travel the world talking to women (see #1)
3. visit New Zealand
Posted by: chatty lady

Re: What are your three? - 11/18/07 12:27 AM

I've actually got this list written and hanging on the bulletin board above my desk:

See a cure for cancer in my lifetime.

See all animal shelters become 'no kill'.

Be independently WEALTHY, live well and healthy and be able to give to those friends I know are in need...
Posted by: jabber

Re: What are your three? - 11/24/07 02:33 PM

1...To see God avenge the wrongdoing done my dearest friend!

2...To successfully write and publish my sister's life story and my life story.

3...To see cures for all the devastating diseases; and to see less child, elderly and animal abuse in the world!!!