thinking about retirement?

Posted by: Dotsie

thinking about retirement? - 09/17/07 02:05 PM

Here's a fairly good artilce I found online that I thought I'd share. Please let me know what you think.

http://blog.askaboutrealestate.net/archive/2007/09/12/8-money-moves-you-must-make-at-50.aspx
Posted by: CaroMcK2

Re: thinking about retirement? - 09/17/07 10:01 PM

I stopped working in my previous profession as part time psych professor/part time psychotherapist to be with my husband who was dying of cancer & so we spent as much time as possible on our boat & cruising the coast of Maine the summer before he died. I never went back to my previous profession and it has been 3 years.
Since I don't believe in "retirement" ~ I began to work on my art ~ sketching, painting, collage, fused glass and now am focused on creating in mixed media ~ The older women I have known have always been active right to the end doing what they chose to do. My grandmother lived to 101 and my maternal gm worked in her 70s and died at 84 ~ my Mom died in her 70;s but she was always busy with a part time job or just doing what she wanted to do for the first time in life.
So, Dotsie, that is where I am at ~ and plan to have a long life with my creating, my dogs, my friends, nature, and on and on ~
Posted by: Casey

Re: thinking about retirement? - 09/18/07 01:45 AM

It's good to see that people are starting to realize that retirement isn't all about money -- it's a life transition. It's the opportunity to do exactly what Carol has done and do the work you love.

Shameless plug: I'm certified in giving the Retirement Success Profile and coaching those who have moved "retirement planning" to the front burner. Send me a PM if you are interested in learning more.
Posted by: Dotsie

Re: thinking about retirement? - 09/18/07 02:21 AM

I believe in shameless plugs!

Carol, you are fortunate to have had excellent role models. Carry on. Seems you are on the right track.

Our generation changes every life stage we approach so it only makes sense that we are changing the way we do retirement.
Posted by: Saundra

Re: thinking about retirement? - 09/19/07 01:03 AM

I think about retirement all the time because I don't think I'll be able to financially. I'd love to stop working and do other things. It's good to have a dream!