looking ahead

Posted by: Dotsie

looking ahead - 05/15/06 06:04 PM

If you aren't retired yet, what are you looking forward to in your retirement?

This is so crazy forme because I've always stayed home. Now that I've launched BWS and NABBW, some friends are talking about retirement and I'm thinking...I'm just getting started.
Posted by: Dancing Dolphin

Re: looking ahead - 05/16/06 07:59 AM

Oh Dotsie, that sounds like me! I think, gee - I could have more money and more time to relax if I wasn't working on my biz... but then, I guess I'm just not the type to lay around for long.

Ideally, retirement for me means having enough money to travel and see the country/world. I also enjoy swaying in a hammock on a nice warm beach with a great book.

One thing I wish is that I had kept a journal all my life. Every year at our anniversary, my hubby and I speculate on where we'll be in 5 - 10 - or 20 years. If I had kept a journal, it would be so fun to look back and compare what we thought with what actually happened!
Posted by: AvalonBlondi

Re: looking ahead - 05/16/06 02:50 AM

Now that my kids are grownups..I feel like I have been forced into retirement..kicking and screaming all the way I might add...I am trying to decide what to do with the rest of my life...haven't hit on anything that I am really passionate about yet!!!...but talking to all of you passionate and fearless and very strong women..has really motivated me...hopefully one day soon I'll find something I can feel good about doing.
Posted by: Louisa

Re: looking ahead - 05/29/06 05:32 AM

Well, I'm looking forward to it. It means NO MORE TIME CLOCKS! My husband recently retired and is enjoying it. He has plenty to do. I plan to retire in a few more years. I hope to travel a little more. Nothing exotic, just our Disney Vacation Club trips, weekend getaways up north, and we hope to go to Hawaii. I want to devote more time to my writing. It's so difficult at this stage working full time. I used to paint too, but gave it up. Maybe I will take it up again when I'm retired.

Louisa
Posted by: Sadie

Re: looking ahead - 05/29/06 07:26 AM

I don't want to retire . I do temp work and I hate it I would love to work three days and week. You see though when you reach 50's employers don't want to hire you . Age > I hate it . It is very hard getting a job at 50. I hate it when I don't have much work and stay at home I am bored stiff . I want to write some and volunteer some . They say if you volunteer somethings you can find a job .

Yes, when you reach 50 they don't want you anymore .
Posted by: jawjaw

Re: looking ahead - 05/29/06 05:03 PM

I absolutely love retirement but I've never worked harder in my life! When I worked a full time job it was 8-5, 5 days a week. Now that I'm retired and writing, speaking, and working for Dots, I work 7 days a week and love every minute of it.

It's not like work, it's like playing. I'm sure the reason is I'm finally doing what I love to do.

The thoughts of getting out there again in the corporate world makes my butt want to crochet barbwire...no thanks!

JJ

Re: looking ahead - 05/29/06 06:29 PM

I have a friend who's retiring in July. I need to show her your post. She's a little worried about what's she's going to do with her time. She's already talking about getting another job. I want to be sure it's something she's passionate about. I'm so glad retirement is working so well for you. But I'm confused. Why does someone in their 30s retire?
Posted by: Eagle Heart

Re: looking ahead - 05/29/06 06:40 PM

I was forced into early retirement by my last breakdown and the ensuing depression and chronic fatigue. After 32 years of working (and much of it involving long hours and extensive overtime), it took a long time to learn how to relax and enjoy life. The thing I love most about being retired is that I get to pick and choose what I want to do, when I want to do it and how long I want to do it for! After years of trying to keep up with everyone else's drumbeats, I'm finally living life at my own pace and am much healthier for it.

[ May 29, 2006, 11:41 AM: Message edited by: Eagle Heart ]
Posted by: Casey

Re: looking ahead - 05/29/06 09:23 PM

Eagle Heart,
I agree with you, that "retirement" means living by your own internal drummer -- not that of someone else. For me, retirement means choosing the work I love and living the life I want. Sometimes it's scary because it's different from the norm (I'm only 54), but I've always been out of step with most of the rest of the world! :--))

Re: looking ahead - 06/02/06 06:42 PM

Eagle, isn't it a shame it takes getting to retirement to be able to do that? I'm sure you enjoyed your life prior to retirement but the change of pace has been good for you. I think it would be good for everyone. Less responsibilities, more peace!

Re: looking ahead - 06/02/06 06:49 PM

Casey, funny you mention working in retirement. Boomers are giving a whole new meaning to the word. I've received lts of articles through Google about boomers never retiring. Many reasons have been given:

-healthier and want to continue
-retiring and doing something we're passionate about to make a difference
-finances, need the money
-driven by activity
-driven by the feeling of success
-living longer
-witnessed our parents retiring too young
Posted by: chatty lady

Re: looking ahead - 06/04/06 04:48 AM

It depends on the type of work one does I think. As long as I can see, type and think straight, I'll be editing manuscripts. (and partying till I drop!) [Big Grin] [Wink] [Razz] [Cool]

[ June 03, 2006, 09:49 PM: Message edited by: chatty lady ]
Posted by: Patsy

Re: looking ahead - 12/14/06 05:49 PM

Hello All,
I'm new to the board but, love what I am reading.... Am soon to be 56 (next month) and single -- always wanted to retire from the corporate world at 55 (missed that boat). My last 20 years were spent as a software trainer and traveled extensively so I wasn't too disappointed when my last company decided to go in a different direction leaving trainers looking for employment. Thought I had planned well -- please notice I said "thought" -- and could take early retirement. Well, that hit the skids when I realized the cost of health insurance on my own.

I could retire with no health insurance or find employment just for the insurance. Listing criteria for my ideal job had lots of time off at the top of my list. Not many jobs start you off like that unless you work for a school system so I checked that out. Almost fell out of my chair the day I found out that, in my area, you can drive a school bus for 5 years and then take early retirement (if you are at least 60) and early retirement gives you health insurance for the rest of your life -- and if you aren't smiling now, hold on -- the insurance is competely paid for.

So now I am a school bus driver and I have 4 years and 6 weeks until I can retire. Actually, my kids are good and I kinda like it. It's a far cry for the corporate job.

Anyway, that's me and I'll looking ahead (as this topic states).

Patsy
Posted by: Dancing Dolphin

Re: looking ahead - 12/14/06 05:53 PM

Welcome Patsy! Wow, that sounds like you've taken the right direction for your goals. A little research can really pay off. Looking forward to seeing you around our little forum world...

Kathy
Posted by: Edelweiss

Re: looking ahead - 12/14/06 06:27 PM

Hi Patsy, what an interesting story; from a software trainer to a bus driver! You sound happy too.

I live in Germany, and we have a social medical system. It's fantastic. Everyone is insured, there is no thing as not being insured. That includes dentists, braces for kids, some cosmetic surgery, marriage counselling…it's all insured!

Why can a small country like Germany be able to afford this? It's so fantastic. I don't know why it doesn't catch on in the States. Hospitals clinics, even recuperation wellness spas are all paid for by the State insurance.

In my case, since I have my own company, I have to pay my own monthly insurance…but that starts at a certain income. Everything below that income, or if you are not self-employed is automatically taken care of.

I can recommend voting for a presidential candidate who supports social medicine, It's the only way.

Re: looking ahead - 12/14/06 11:23 PM

Well Patsy, you've found a solution to the health insurance problem for yourself. That's great. That's not an option for me. I'm doing good to drive my car, never mind a bus. I drove a station wagon for a kindergarten years ago. I was young then.
Louisa
Posted by: Lola

Re: looking ahead - 12/15/06 06:54 AM

Echoes of my mind, Hannelore. Why are'nt the same social benefits we enjoy, where we are, workable in the US? Baffling and appalling, is'nt it? The UK has a cradle to grave social system where none is left out regardless of means, even those who have not contributed any National Insurance. I had major surgery earlier this year and paid nothing towards it.

Yes, I believe this has got to be advocated by politicians who could unselfishly present the true mechanics of government's social services where the taxes one has paid in a lifetime, regardless of years or amount of contribution, allows for a safety net as and when it becomes necessary.

Re: looking ahead - 12/15/06 12:05 PM

Patsy, what a planner. You saved yourself a fortune. I'm not sure what's going to happen when all us boomers retire and have to pay for health insurance. There are many jobs that have cut retirement benefits which is going to leave so many people in a pickle. There's talk that boomers will not retire until much later. So much of that has to do with the fact that we'll need the money to insure ourselves. And God knows the older we get, the more we need that health insurance. Plus we're living longer, so who can afford to retire and maintain the life style we currently have...
Posted by: Saundra

Re: looking ahead - 12/16/06 01:20 PM

Hi Patsy. How wonderful that you have the health and strength to drive a bus. Like Louisa, I can barely drive my car and my back hurts after 15 mintues.

If I could retire I'd like to go back to volunteering at the Literacy Council and a few other places I'd spend volunteer time. It's good to have a dream.

Re: looking ahead - 12/16/06 02:04 PM

Yes, dreams keep us going. Something to look forward to. My husband still does a lot of his community work now that he's retired. He's on several boards, including the Chamber of Commerce and the Lion's Club made him a lifetime member. He is so busy, I ask him how he ever had time to work:) He has taken a lot of the stress off me this season by doing some of the shopping we do together at night during the day by himself. I don't know if I'll be able to retire at 62 or if I will have to wait until I'm 66, which is the full retirement age for me. I'm hoping that if I can't retire at 62, I can at least cut my hours down enough to still have and pay for health insurance. Besides the insurance thing, there's the fact that if I retire at 62, it's a reduced benefit. I believe that would all even out since I would be receiving it longer. But, I am entitled to my full benefit or half of his. Not sure yet if that is so at 62. That would be a significantly higher amount. My husband is good with figuring stuff out and does all the homework. Thank God, because all I do is worry about it. There's no point in that.

Louisa
Posted by: Patsy

Re: looking ahead - 12/16/06 05:29 PM

Yes, driving the school bus is different from a car but, after a few days it would surprise you at the ease (like driving an RV). Just found out that the rules of retirement changed this year -- you need 10 years (instead of the 5 I stated) in order to get the paid health insurance. I am so blessed that I started last year (when the 5 year requirement was in effect).

Today is yard work day -- gotta get the rest of those pesky leaves up. It's really warm in NC today (high to be 70) so I'm taking advantage of it.

Happy Holidays and thanks for the warm welcome!

Patsy

Re: looking ahead - 12/16/06 11:12 PM

Dodged a bullet there, Patsy. I can hear you counting your blessings.

Re: looking ahead - 12/16/06 11:40 PM

Talk about cutting it close. Whew!
Posted by: Anno

Re: looking ahead - 12/17/06 12:48 PM

Celebrate! Way to go! I am dancing right now for you.

I am going to visit my retirement association during my winter holiday. I will find out when I can retire from education with a full pension and partial insurance (I will pay a hefty stipend, but will have good insurance). But, I am only retiring from my full time employment.

I will continue life coaching and education consulting for at least another 10 years after my retirement. And since I am constantly learning, and writing new goals, I am sure that all of this will evolve into yet another career. I really have no interest in "retiring" but I am looking forward to the freedom of choosing my hours and my dream job description.
Posted by: orchid

Re: looking ahead - 01/22/07 04:46 AM

Well, some people are lucky to think about retirement. I see myself working until 65. My partner's pension can't support both of us.

However I do find it abit freaky that 1 friend who is same age as myself (nearing 48) will be able to take early retirement in 6 yrs. She's worked for the police since finishing high school. Geez. Hard to think of someone my age...retired.

I've worked to earn my money since graduating from university many moons ago.

Yes, have developed several passions along the way. So I don't need to plan..more ..get time.
Posted by: denanz

Re: looking ahead - 01/22/07 05:56 AM

All I want for retirement is financial freedom. Not to be a millionare but just enough to pay my bills, go on vacation once in awhile and enough to help my kids and their families if they need it. I do not want to be where I have to work. One thing I am grateful for is the native american blood I have. Health care costs should not be a problem.

www.denisesgifts.com
Posted by: Edelweiss

Re: looking ahead - 01/22/07 08:17 AM

ah… 1, ah…. 2, ah….. 123

All I want for retirement is all my teeth,
all my teeth, yes all my teeth!
throw in tons of money and a 4 wheel jeep
And I'm gone from the working world.

Re: looking ahead - 01/26/07 02:07 AM

denanz, I don't understand. Why would healthcare not be a problem for you?

Re: looking ahead - 01/26/07 11:52 PM

Hannelore, do you know that one out of three women will have none of her original teeth by the age of 65? I learned that while doing research for my book.
Posted by: gims

Re: looking ahead - 01/27/07 07:59 PM

That scares me, Saundra... I have this one tooth that is forever bothering me. There is nothing visibly wrong with it... it might just be an over active nerve causing the problem. Loosing my teeth would be the worst part of aging for me. Love my gray hair. Don't mind my rounding body. I can deal with my bifocals. But, to loose my teeth, for some reason would be a negative touchstone. URK!

Retirement for me - I've wanted to create a retreat for women and children for years. We have 10 unused acres. I want to construct a huge ten barn (insulated, heated and cooled, of course). Inside the walls, I'd have a library, a 30-min. gym (similar to or even a Curves unit), a restroom with a shower and sauna, an art room, a tutoring room, and a huge main room (a gathering place) with a wall-sized fireplace. The library would contain only books having something to do with self-improvement: physical, mental, emotional, etc.. The gathering room would take up the majority of the footprint of the barn and be used for seminars/speakers, chat sessions, poetry readings, etc., trying to help women in different stages in their lives - all would be guests speakers, there would not be a resident speaker. I would even bring in a dance teacher for some dance lessons (so the gathering room would have to be quite large) and/or a voice coach. I would also have on board a visiting nurse, a psychologist, a nutritionist, a trainer and maybe a masseuse. Membership would be cafeteria style, each member choosing what parts to buy into, but they'd have option of add-ons, picking other activities and events, as desired.
Outside there would be walking trails (for pray and meditation), a chapel, gardens (members could even work in them as payment), a cottage or two for weekend gettaways (for women only).
Most of the adult related activities and events would be held in the late evenings and on the weekends. For children I'd hold tutoring sessions, etiquette classes, and other social events, in hopes of preparing them for a happy and healthy life.

I know this doesn't sound like a retirement plan, but it's what I'd like to be part of - in the background, but partaking.
Posted by: klmr13

Re: looking ahead - 01/28/07 12:30 AM

Gimster...I LOVE your plan! It sounds so invigorating and fun!

Meanwhile...why don't you visit a dentist to find out what's going on with that tooth? A quick x-ray might tell the dentist what's going on...
Posted by: denanz

Re: looking ahead - 01/28/07 02:03 AM

Louisa, the federal government and tribal nations provide health benefits to native americans. The hospital here require you use other health insurance (work or state if you qualify) before using their services or they can bill your insurance company. My husband has good insurance from his work so I use his but if he were to lose it we would still be covered through the tribal medical center.

www.denisesgifts.com

Re: looking ahead - 01/31/07 05:26 PM

gimster, go to the dentist now, before it's too late. If you haven’t waited too long before seeing a dentist, you have a very good chance of saving your teeth (at least some of them) and half of your bank account.

Re: looking ahead - 02/13/07 05:11 AM

Gimster, maybe I can convince a sister of mine to reactivate her yoga classes so that she can teach at your retreat.

She used to run her own yoga centre. Right now, she's retreated into full-time homemaker, which in my opinion, is not full use of her potential, since her children are now adults and she is a good teacher for adults and children. (She did teach yoga to some kids..) Also well-educated. She was a licensed pharmacist, so she has serious scientific knowledge to explain basic human physiology and anatomy...something that not all yoga teachers know.

There are so many women like my sister...who could practice their skills at a place like your dream place.
Posted by: gims

Re: looking ahead - 02/13/07 03:24 PM

orchid,
the retreat is a dream... something that will never happen, but I keep envisioning it, despite myself. I drove by the land yesterday on the way to the library and found our neighbor is setting up forms to lay a foundation for some type of structure. The problem in that is that he's laying up against the fenceline I was eyeballing for my barn...lol. I watch for signs like this to tell me my plan isn't perfected yet. While it's probably sign telling me I waited too long - had I built first, he probably would have built on the opposing fenceline.
I know of, and feel there are, so many women and children who could benefit from a center like the one I'm creating in my mind. I know there was a time in my life that I really needed one. Funding is a problem. Fear is a problem. Family is a problem. I thought of moving a small house (you know, those you see advertised in the 'house to be moved' section of the classifieds) on the property and test the market with female get togethers and tutoring. But, everytime I get my folder out to put things in motion, my dad relapses. I look at this as a sign, too, that the timing isn't right, and that my energies are needed elsewhere. It could be he's picking up on my re-directed attentions and throwing his fork in my road. Who was it that said (or titled their book) "If you see a fork in the road, pick it up"... anyway, that's what I've been doing, laying my folder of plans down in it's place.

Why did your sister give up her yoga center? Seems that would be something she could have gotten her children involved with.

Re: looking ahead - 02/14/07 06:26 AM

She got into yoga because her shoulder injury on rowing machine..and also helped with her post-partum depression (2nd child).

She closed her yoga centre because there was a time she thought she would relocate with her family due to hubby's job. That did not materialize. But she never got back in..it takes alot effort to restart a biz.

But I know she turned down customers when she closed.

She is just 1 yr. younger than I.

Re: looking ahead - 02/14/07 02:56 PM

gimster, take me there. I'll be your first member. Your vision is lovely. Don't give up on it. Timing is everything. I just had a young mother tell me she was joining the Y so she could exercise while someone watched her children within the same building. I think y ou're on to something.
Posted by: Mountain Ash

Re: looking ahead - 02/14/07 07:22 PM

Dotsie
I know what you mean...I graduated late(50 with a BSc)I then taught along side others who were talking about retiring and I was still enthusiastic and discovering.Up till then I was medical/education and the teaching role...I flew with the angles.Now I am retired I am so glad I did what
I am still ooking for my next niche...may be jewellry after my husband is more well.I do know I am still seeking..
Mountain ash

Re: looking ahead - 02/15/07 09:46 PM

Mountain, do you mean making jewelry?

Re: looking ahead - 02/17/07 01:31 PM

I wish I had become a jeweler instead of a secretary. I love jewelry. I made beaded jewelry for a while. Still have tons of beads and jewelry I made hanging around, especially earrings. I made lots of earrings. Never know when I will pick up on it again. I'm like that with hobbies. But, cut stones are my real passion. My dad was a jeweler many years ago. I guess that is where I get it from. Many people say I should work in a jewelry store. Well, aside frome the fact that retail doesn't pay enough, the hours are crazy, you have to work weekends and stand on your feet, it's not a good idea. I would end up owing them money at the end of the week
Posted by: Mountain Ash

Re: looking ahead - 02/17/07 06:23 PM

Dotsie
yes from metal using tools and planning a design.I love it.
I am a baby learner.Some ladies are so talented.
I do put together earrings but this class is much more.
Popea she is the expert she pointed me in the right direction.
Mountain ash