Driving-when will you stop?

Posted by: orchid

Driving-when will you stop? - 02/03/09 03:42 AM

I just found out that my father passed his driver's license test ..to renew his license. He's been driving since his mid-30's. He will be 80 next month.

Thankfully he has chosen not to drive on expressways and major highways for past few years. Nor does he drive at night. He only drives in town to do grocery shopping and visit people close by. We're glad he has voluntarily made this slow withdrawal from lots of driving.

He has no heart nor respiratory problems. He wears glasses for reading. He is still quite mobile.

Most of us have stories of dangerous driving by elderly folk who should have their driver's license taken away.

so when do you think you will stop driving when the time comes? Will you do it voluntarily after a certain age, phase out of it or put yourself in a position that you would be forced not to?

Useful to ask this question because the boomer generation is tending to live longer and may tend think themselves more alert/vibrant in the mind compared to previous generations.
Posted by: Lola

Re: Driving-when will you stop? - 02/03/09 08:56 AM

I sold my car a long time ago and use public transport when I am in the city. However, I still drive in the country but, only in good weather. I suffer from night blindness (?) and have no perception of distances when it's raining, twilight or early dusk. So, I'd give up fully before I become a threat to my passengers i.e. my grandchildren. My reflex is still sharp and could still park on a dime but, as I said, only in the daytime. So, in a way, I already have restrictions. And, I'm only 52!

It's great that your Dad could still drive, Orchid. Mobility is something that means so much to elderly folks. Is public transport alright where your parents live?
Posted by: Dotsie

Re: Driving-when will you stop? - 02/03/09 08:17 PM

I will stop when I think I'll be a danger to others. That's exactly what Dad did. He told us he was afraid he might hurt someone.

You dad sounds very sensible. In the US, you don't have to take the test. The elderly just keep on driving. Crazy, huh?

I hope to be living in a community that will allow me to walk everywhere because I can't imagine being without a license. Egads. What a nightmare.
Posted by: chatty lady

Re: Driving-when will you stop? - 02/03/09 11:41 PM

As little as I drive now, what with working at home, I still want to have that option no matter what.

Re: Driving-when will you stop? - 02/07/09 05:28 AM

Ok, I did post same question to a group of cycling women. Now keep in mind, there's a large group of women who are over 40 in this group. Here are some stories and ideas which show there is such a thing as becoming too stupidly stubborn when driving beyond one's own capabilities:

http://forums.teamestrogen.com/showthread.php?t=28987

Most of these ladies are partially out of 100% driving mode, because they do some cycling at least.
Posted by: Edelweiss3

Re: Driving-when will you stop? - 02/07/09 05:43 AM

Orchid, I read some of their posts. They seem like a nice group. If I were a cyclist I would join. Does lying on my back and pedaling in the air count? smile

Re: Driving-when will you stop? - 02/07/09 04:08 PM

Edelweiss, you're hilarious. laugh