Sleeveless tops

Posted by: ladybug

Sleeveless tops - 02/16/06 08:41 AM

For a while there I would not wear a sleeveless top unless it was during my daily walks in hot weather.

I've changed my mind partly because of the new tattoo, which will never show with a short sleeve top. I see lots of women with arms less-toned than mine who are not afraid to bare it. I do a lot of heavy lifting and digging gardening. I also work with ten pound weights to keep things toned so there won't be any dangling skin.

Has anyone else changed their minds pro or con on the sleeveless top?
Posted by: Bluebird

Re: Sleeveless tops - 02/15/06 09:25 PM

I wear them so I can get a better tan but am not crazy about my arms!

Re: Sleeveless tops - 02/15/06 10:02 PM

My arms aren't exactly "buff" either Bluebird but what the heck why not wear em?

Thanks for answering.
Posted by: Dotsie

Re: Sleeveless tops - 02/18/06 08:46 AM

I remember Mom talking about no longer wearing sleeveless tops becasue of her arms. I was like...what's the big deal.

Now I know.

But I'm wearing them anyway.

They look better with a little tan!
Posted by: Dianne

Re: Sleeveless tops - 02/17/06 09:56 PM

Two days before my aunt passed away, she told me she didn't have an outfit to wear to a funeral--meaning hers so I told her I would buy her one. She insisted her arms not be showing, she wanted a jacket that would cover them. So even in death, we'll be worried about our arms.

[ February 17, 2006, 01:57 PM: Message edited by: Dianne ]
Posted by: NHJackie

Re: Sleeveless tops - 02/17/06 10:29 PM

I still wear sleeveless tops. But tanks tops are a thing of the past.
Posted by: LSmith5434

Re: Sleeveless tops - 02/18/06 05:18 AM

No sleeveless tops for me. I've lost so much weight, I now have wings!
Doing the Body Pump may help some. I hope!!!
Lynne

Re: Sleeveless tops - 02/18/06 09:18 PM

Dianne, that is so funny, you made me laugh that even in death, we'll be worried about our arms.

I'd have to agree with your aunt there, no bare arms in the casket please! [Big Grin] [Razz]
Posted by: Pam R.

Re: Sleeveless tops - 04/24/06 01:32 AM

Till death my arms will be covered too! I haven't worn sleeveless in about 35 years! And really, my arms are not nearly as bad as some of my closest friends! This vanity has got to go. Comfort should be the goal, especially with the hot flashes from menopause. Maybe this summer I will try....no, I doubt it, just can't take that step!
Posted by: FitlySpoken

Re: Sleeveless tops - 06/11/06 04:12 AM

Hey Hey Hey

That is one thing I have avoided in fashion too. I still don't like showing off my upper arms. What a point in vanity. But even now at the age of 58 - you probably will never see me with sleeveless tops. The shortest I go is short sleeves and even they have to fit just right.

Oh well, it keeps my little mind appeased. Plus, I don't wear shorts. Now, I really confessing ... But, I always have had a vanity and victorian mind set on showing off too much. Plus my legs have aged gracefully, compared to other parts! What a laugh hey?

Best to you gals.
Posted by: cara4art

Re: Sleeveless tops - 06/16/06 06:21 AM

The cure for aging arms is - you guessed it - sepcific weight-training exercise - serious triceps(like seated dips and modified push-ups if you don't have any weights) and biceps exercises(like curls), along with a good diet. Don't forget the shoulders either - nicely-shaped deltoids add a great line to your upper body, and improve the look of things in sleeveless or other types of shoulder-baring tops, as well as the fact that the training will improve posture. Don't let anyone tell you nothing can be done. Look up some bodybuilding exercises and start light, with a couple of sets of 10 reps per body part, and make it progressive, like increasing your reps until you can do 15, then up the weight, and add exercises. Generally speaking, because the triceps take up two-thirds of the upper arm, do twice as many sets of triceps exercises as biceps. Fill in with a couple of forearm exercises(great for grip strength, which we need to continue to be independent as we get older), If you don;t have a clue as to how to start with this kind of exercise, hit the gym and find an instructor who can set you up. Be consistent and regular with this, and in due time you WILL see results. Of course, this helps in the context of a comprehensive fitness program anyway. Don't be afraid to work hard, as that is what it takes to get those arms in shape, plus it will make things easier in your daily life anyway, like carrying things, opening jars(as your grip will improve amazingly), etc.
In the meantime, as far as sleeveless tops, wear what you feel comfortable with. In due time, on your program, you'll be able to treat yourself to a pretty new top - there are so-o many out there now - you're bound to find something that looks good.

Re: Sleeveless tops - 06/17/06 07:45 AM

Thank you for this advice.

I have a question. At a certain age, no matter how much iron you pump, the skin covering those new muscles is old and starting to look like tissue paper. Other than cosmetic surgery, is there a way to help diminish the looks of this?

Also, how do you get rid of that thin layer of fat that likes to live on my upper arms? I eat healthy so do I need to cut back even more on fats?

Re: Sleeveless tops - 06/16/06 08:25 PM

Hi Dianne!

Hopefully, the tissue-paper look is way late in the game of life! But before that stage, there are a few things you can do. True, mature skin quality is not the same as a young woman, but body care treaments can make a big difference, along with an effective body butter(like shea butter, or extra-virgin coconut oil, more about that in a minute!). It can be as simple as a weekly home-made olive oil-brown sugar scrub followed by the body butter, or you can go the commercial route with scrubs, creams(stay away from the cheap mineral oil-based lotions-they do nothing but sit on the skin, and the mineral oil actually DRIES out the skin in due time, making you have to apply more and more lotion for lessening benefit, if any). There are lots of "spa-type" of products out there, in differing price ranges, so this might be the time to treat oneself to a good duo! This will lessen the appearance of crepey skin, and the self-care will make you feel good too. Maybe hubby/significant other can help! Too many times, women only take care of the skin on the face, and never apply anything to the body, esp. when they get older, thinking it won't make any difference. You can delay crepey skin by not regularly getting too tan, too, as too much sun is well-known for breaking down the collagen and negatively affecting skin texture. Compare the skin on the inside of the thigh, say, to your forearm, and you'll see what I mean.
More about extra-virgin coconut oil - some women swear that within about 6 weeks of daily use on the body, crepey skin was GREATLY lessened. This type of coconut oil has a natural exfoliating acid in it, lauric acid, that smooths the skin, plus it is non-toxic to boot. Google "extra-virgin coconut oil. For my own use, I make my shea butter-coconut oil body butter, and in my next batch I'm switching from regular coconut oil to the extra-virgin kind. Another thing to consider for general health, esp. with applying something to your whole body, 60% of what you put on your skin gets absorbed into the bloodstream, not good when contemplating the amount of chemicals etc. in commercial treatments. That's why I go the natural route, personally.
About the fats, well, yes, you might have to take another look at your diet, and the type of fats you are eating. Too many refined carbos might also be the culprit here, as any excess carbohydrate esp. in refined form, tends to get stored as bodyfat. Finally, it might also boil down to your basic starting bodytype too, whether ectomorphic(basically lean), mesomorphic(puts on muscle easily), or endomorphic(puts on fat easily, tough to lose weight). Most of us have a predominant one, with a close second. Training and diet can be adjusted accordingly.
Hope this helps!

Re: Sleeveless tops - 06/16/06 08:46 PM

I looked at the inside of my thigh and it's ugly too! [Eek!]

Yes, this does help...a lot! Can't thank you enough. Can the coconut oil be bought other than online?
Posted by: Edelweiss

Re: Sleeveless tops - 06/16/06 10:02 PM

Wow I learned alot from this Topic. I even have some natural cocunt butter at home. Let you know if it works! Thanks cara4art for alot of excellent information.
Posted by: browser57

Re: Sleeveless tops - 06/16/06 10:54 PM

I also do weight training - but no matter whether I'm at my ideal weight or a few over, the dimples just won't go away. No giggle thank goodness - just this disgusting layer of dimply fat. So, I will always continue with my fittness regimen - but cover the upper arms at all costs.

I have found that the body lotions with firming claims do take away that tissue paper look - short term. I use it every day on the neck area - that is really creeping me out. Can't wear turtlenecks all year - but it might come to that eventually.

Re: Sleeveless tops - 06/17/06 09:06 AM

Hi Dianne!

Yes, the coconut oil can be bought at Whole Foods if you have one in your area - Nutiva is the brand, also another brand that can be found at some healthfood stores is Garden of Life. BTW, the coconut oil can be good for thick curly hair too - just melt a little bit in the palms of your hands and scrunch through your damp curls(instant curl reviver and conditioner too.)
As you can see I'm a fan of natural stuff whenever possible for desired results!

Re: Sleeveless tops - 06/18/06 07:30 AM

We have a Whole Foods not too far from home so I'm going to get some today! I'm excited and I really thank you for all of this advice!