Changes in makeup, hair regime

Posted by: orchid

Changes in makeup, hair regime - 09/01/09 11:39 AM

Hair: Style has become shorter in past 5 yrs. I get lazier and lazier-- want to avoid using curling iron, least amount of dryer blowing..

Makeup: Methinks I will have to use moisturizer more often on my face..so my face lines don't show. Of course being outdoors alot means an extra preventive step, plus the sun block.

In all honesty, I look at my face/hair at most, twice during the day. It's been like this in past decade. First thing morning, to do hair, etc. Then later when I'm in a building after coming in from outside. If I wear lipstick, it tends to be light coloured enough, that if I forget to re-apply, it's not that noticeable.

That's it. I now look in curiosity/amazement at some other women who fuss multiple times during the day with their cosmetic mirrors, hair, etc.
Posted by: jawjaw

Re: Changes in makeup, hair regime - 09/01/09 02:40 PM

I have sisters who would sooner die than go to Wal-mart without a full face on. I'm happy to have a face, period.

I wear no makeup unless it is a special occasion...and that's just so I don't scare small children.

My hair has been cut really short. I like it. I have thick hair (not so thick as it used to be, sigh) and so I can DO short hair. But I will say I miss being able to braid my hair.

Clothes...they are a necessary evil. But since I've lost weight, I have noticed that I'm a tad more selective with my daily attire. I now wear T-shirts that don't have food on them.

ONE THING I WISH I HAD is a face cream. One to soften my skin as I have extremely dry skin. I drink tons of water, so that's not the problem. I'm a redhead, so...dry skin comes with the territory. Any suggestions?
Posted by: yonuh

Re: Changes in makeup, hair regime - 09/02/09 02:21 AM

JJ, I can vouch for Shea Butter for dry skin. If you apply it while your skin is a little damp, it spreads better and will work into the skin more easily. I had one of those dry scaly patches on one elbow, and the Shea Butter took it away in 2 days. Of course, if you're allergic to nuts, then don't use Shea. I also like Origins Andy Weil line - the face moisturizer is thick without being greasy and will absorb into the skin quickly. I have to trade off face stuff often, so I have the old favorites that I rotate. Another good one is Burt's Bees. I tend to use the heavier stuff at night so it has a chance to soak in, and the lighter stuff during the day.

I don't wear much makeup at all: mostly mascara so you can tell I actually have eyelashes, foundation to even out my skin (I put it on with a damp sponge so it doesn't look like I'm wearing any), and a blush on cheeks, forehead, nose, and chin for a 'rosy glow'. I must be doing something right as my boss made a comment the other day that she didn't think I wore makeup!!
Posted by: jawjaw

Re: Changes in makeup, hair regime - 09/02/09 10:58 AM

Thank you Yonuh. I do like the shea butter and since my sisters and daughter-in-law confiscated what I had, I need to order some more from Di....Oh Diiiiiiii....where are ya gal. Any specials going on?

I love how the Shea makes the heels on my feet feel and since I'm walking so much nowadays, I need it even more. But do you recommend it for your face?

I've never heard of Origins Andy Weil line. I'll check that out as well.
Posted by: yonuh

Re: Changes in makeup, hair regime - 09/02/09 07:16 PM

Yes, I use it on my face at night, mostly. Just massage it in well.
Posted by: jabber

Re: Changes in makeup, hair regime - 09/02/09 10:19 PM

That made me laugh: T-shirt with no food on 'em...hahahahaheee..
Posted by: Dotsie

Re: Changes in makeup, hair regime - 09/03/09 07:28 PM

My hair has gotten longer than usual and I like it because it's so easy to pull back.

I actually do more for my face than ever. When I got married, I don't think I wore a stitch of make-up, now I use Arbonne products to keep my face moisturized, and I use make-up because I feel more put together when I do. Stupid maybe, but it feels right.

I use a blush, eyeliner and mascara, and a chap stick or lip color to keep my lips moist.

It's a little routine I've gotten into, and actually enjoy it.

Re: Changes in makeup, hair regime - 09/04/09 05:20 PM

I like Sheas and coconut oil and Meryl Norman products. I use
eyeliner and mascara and lip color, too.
Posted by: Dotsie

Re: Changes in makeup, hair regime - 09/04/09 09:23 PM

jabber, is this more or less than say, 20 years ago?

Have our hairstyles gotten easier or tougher to care for?
Posted by: greene

Re: Changes in makeup, hair regime - 09/04/09 11:59 PM

I find my hair easier to care for, mainly because of the new styling tools. Instead of hours in rollers to get rid of friz it is just minutes with a ironing tool. Love it this way.

Re: Changes in makeup, hair regime - 09/05/09 01:47 PM

Dotsie,
Since PL suggested using CHI hair products my hair has been
easier to deal with. I'm not sure what the 20 years ago question
refers to. I still use Sheas Butter; organic virgin, coconut oil; and Merle Norman, make up, powder, and cleanser.

Re: Changes in makeup, hair regime - 09/06/09 10:17 PM

Merle Norman still has stores around here. But as I recall, they
still have locations in the South, too.
Posted by: chatty lady

Re: Changes in makeup, hair regime - 09/12/09 12:03 AM

Bare Essentials is the best makeup out there by far and the safest too for even delicate skins. I will never go back to regular makeup no matter how expensive it is it's all chemicals.
Posted by: westcoaster

Re: Changes in makeup, hair regime - 09/14/09 09:05 PM

I feel better about myself when I style my hair and wear makeup. I don't feel "old" so don't want to look older. Does it take a little more effort? Yes, but it is worth it to me. I just can't let myself go.
Posted by: diamond50

Re: Changes in makeup, hair regime - 09/15/09 05:15 AM

On most days, I just dab on some foundation and lip gloss. For "occasions" I'll use eyeshadow and liner.

My hair is below the shoulder and very easy to care for.