Hair cut costs

Posted by: orchid

Hair cut costs - 01/06/08 04:42 PM

I got my hair washed, cut short (about 4 inches taken off) and blown dry. It is a cut with layers which does require hairstylist expertise.

I nearly fell over --it was $70.00CAN. My hairdresser had been giving me discount last few years to keep me as a customer and she showed me advertising pamphlet that she gives out for lst time.

I did pay it since she is a skilled/experienced hairstylist.
Posted by: jawjaw

Re: Hair cut costs - 01/06/08 04:45 PM

OMGOSH! But you know what, you are so right. Hair cutting cost have skyrocketed. I use to get a good wash, cut, and style for around 20.00 bucks, now the "best" stylist are around 40-70 here, depending on who you go to.

I cut my own last month. DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME.

Now I look like a boy with teeth and boobs. Pay the money. Lesson learned.
Posted by: Anno

Re: Hair cut costs - 01/06/08 05:17 PM

Oh, some of the best looking boys around here have boobs! Do not cut your own hair or wax or your own lip! When will we girls learn?

I, too paid 70$ for a cut last week. I was shocked. But it was a great cut, and I probably will go back, but not as often as I used to go.
Posted by: Di

Re: Hair cut costs - 01/06/08 05:33 PM

$6 here!!!
Posted by: Cookie

Re: Hair cut costs - 01/06/08 05:43 PM

70$ for a haircut!!! OMG, I guess that's why my curly hair looks so bad. I haven't paid enough for a good cut. I pay $20 ....$25 tops! I have cut my own hair in the past too, and have discovered that I can cut it as bad as the stylists that I have been too.
Posted by: Princess Lenora

Re: Hair cut costs - 01/06/08 07:44 PM

Anno, that was funny about boys with boobs! I had a similar experience to Orchid's last week. In the same salon, but with a different stylist, I paid $40.00 or less for a haircut. The next stylist charged $60.00, considering that she was a master stylist and made a few layers. She did not tell me ahead of time. I could tip her only $5.00. I will not go back to her without an understanding of her costs. And, I do wax my upper lip (as discussed endlessly in another thread) but I don't do my brows myself, when needed.
Posted by: dancer9

Re: Hair cut costs - 01/06/08 08:36 PM

Well, Because I am a hair model and my hairdresser pretty much does her thing on my head, AND she comes to my home, I pay 20.00 LOL.
I have a great deal. I just surrender my hair to the top cutter of the salon that is international and I pay 20.00 for a tip,
dancer
Posted by: meredithbead

Re: Hair cut costs - 01/06/08 10:41 PM

Every few years, I decide to get a professional cut (usually when a new place opens and has great intro prices) but usually I do it myself.
1. there isn't that much hair (thin, baby-fine) so ergo there is not much you can do with it.
2. I actually enjoy cutting it. I do variations on my basic theme and ... really don't care. If I don't like the cut, I redo it the next week (or whenever I get annoyed enough.) if I don't like the cut because I mowed down too much -- it's just hair, and it grows back! I learned not to be precious about it after losing all during chemo.
Posted by: Louisa

Re: Hair cut costs - 01/06/08 11:36 PM

I have my hair cut and roots done every 5 weeks. My hair grows fast. I am there for 2 1/2 - 3 hours depending on how busy he is. It takes 45 minutes alone for the color to come up on my hair. I have a wonderful conditioning shampoo, then cut, blown dry and it takes a while with the curling iron, especially when I have it longer like right now. His prices went up recently. With tip - $110. He's been doing my hair for about 15 years now. He owns the shop and it's just him and his wife. She does the shampoos and takes care of the appointments, etc. I am so relaxed when I go there. I know them and some of the customers so well. We chat and have coffee and I enjoy the time I spend there. Most people know not to bother me when I'm having my hair done. Every once in a while, when I need the body and curl, I perm it. I do my own perms. He says I do an excellent job on it. (Been doing it since I was 14) At least I save in that area.
Posted by: dancer9

Re: Hair cut costs - 01/07/08 12:07 AM

Louisa,
Sounds like you have a great hairdresser! You must be VERY talented to be able to do a perm, I'm impressed!
dancer9
Posted by: orchid

Re: Hair cut costs - 01/07/08 12:11 AM

Well, Louisa you must be super pampered at that price!

After I paid for my wonderful hair job, I realized I couldn't justify spending more money on fashion deals post-Boxing Day for next few months. It's ok...my side of the closet is a serious problem of clothing congestion.

The hairstylist actually cut my hair initially in a edgier style where it was asymmetrical with left side about 4 inches longer than the right side at the front of my face. It did look more hip...but I just couldn't maintain this chic style beyond 3 weeks since my hair grows fast.

So in the end, I got my latest haircut....quite short all around with layers. My ears show completely. I just have to use a tiny bit of molding hair wax to have hair swept in a edgier direction / sweep to one side.

Length of hair should hold me out for next 4 months hopefully. At least I can wear and show all sorts of earring styles.

No, I've never coloured my hair --yet.

Posted by: Eagle Heart

Re: Hair cut costs - 01/07/08 12:29 AM

My hairdresser is about the only "sacred cow" I have - I hope that isn't a demeaning term, I heard it on Oprah and Dr Phil when they've had shows on finances. I'm willing to give up everything and everyone else, but not my hairdresser. I have unruly, unmanageable curly hair and could never find a hairdresser who knew how to cut it properly; most left me with such ugly wing-dings that I felt like I had a bad hair day almost every day of my life - until I met my Donka. She's amazing. I've been going to her for almost 10 years now and you could not pay me enough to leave her for another hairdresser. She loves me. She really loves me. She's the only person on the face of the earth (including myself) who knows how to make me look and feel beautiful. Plus she gives me a wonderful head massage and enjoys hearing about my travels, which very few people ever want to hear about.

The cost? With colour, massage, trim, listening and hugs (and a generous tip) - $100. Which means I can only afford to go a few times a year, but she does such an amazing job that my hair still looks great 3 months later, so she's well worth the price! And after a lifetime of wings and dents, I'm so grateful for finding her - I consider her a miraculous gift from God.
Posted by: Jane_Carroll

Re: Hair cut costs - 01/07/08 01:17 AM

I live in a small town...have a great stylist...$55 for cut and color...there are pricer places around...but I'm very happy with her...and after seeing some of these prices...I think I'll give her a nice tip next trip!
Posted by: Louisa

Re: Hair cut costs - 01/07/08 01:43 AM

Yes, Dancer9, he is very good and they are nice people. I'm extremely fussy about my hair, although after about 4 weeks you'd never know that. I have always done stuff to my hair. When I was a teenager, I was always giving myself haircuts. (That was not my forte) With thick hair and the bubble cut, I could cut it any which way and it didn't seem to matter. (I still do it now and then in between when it gets too long. I let him fix it when I get there.) But, I started sticking a comb in peroxide and running it through my hair and telling my mother it was from the sun when I was about 13. (Like she believed that one.) Then New Dawn came out and I started using that. I had light brown hair that started getting lighter. From there I went to Clairol and whatever. Started doing "home perms." Remember Toni, Lilt, and Rave? In my late teens, started frosting it. I had a girlfriend who went to hairdressing school and she did it for me.

Over the years, I did it red, went back to a darker brown, since it was getting darker as I got older anyway. I eventually learned about salon perms and started using them. I did perms on my mother, little sister, sister-in-law and a few other daring people. I only do myself now. It's not easy, but my hair is thick and I do it mostly by brail. It's getting harder to hold my arms up for that long to roll it now.

I wore it frosted for a long time, especially after my divorce and then it got to be such a pain. (I often frosted it myself too, but had some serious mishaps with that.) I finally went all blonde. The way i see it, my hairdresser said it would look better on me and I had blonde hair when I was a little girl. So I consider it that I have gone back to my "natural" state.
Posted by: glessmom

Re: Hair cut costs - 01/08/08 02:30 PM

Oh my gosh - my hairdresser closed her shop over a year ago and I was lost. She charged $27 for a shampoo and cut. After going back to another gal I went to years ago (charged me $60 for the same thing!) I decided to try a local haircut chain - Cost Cutters. My theory has always been - do what you want with it - you are the expert - and if I don't like it - it will always grow back - no worries!

Well - my Cost Cutters gal - Marie - charges $11 on Tuesdays (special sale day every week) and I just LOVE how she cuts my hair. Yep - I shampoo my own before going - Nope - she doesn't style it for that price - but I feel like she does a better job than anyone else ever did - and her price leaves room for a very good tip for her pocket!
Posted by: jawjaw

Re: Hair cut costs - 01/08/08 03:34 PM

Hello, my name is Jaw Jaw and I got a haircut two times at Wally World. There...I've said it. The first one was a perfect cut and I bowed at the girl's feet. With a coupon, it cost me 5 bucks. The second one, years later, was right before I left for Ireland. NOW...understand that I thought (and we know how dangerous that is) that I was saving money for Ireland by going to Wally World. NEVER...NEVER....EVER, do that. I looked very lopsided and had to walk with a limp for nearly 17 days just to make the sides look even.

Holy Moly....never again.
Posted by: Princess Lenora

Re: Hair cut costs - 01/08/08 03:41 PM

True confessions! In Missouri, I had the same hairdresser for 6 years, from the time I moved there to the time I left. We had the best time together! The cost? $16.00. Always a cute cut, well, as best as anyone can do. One time during the 6 years she was on vacation (how rude) and I was desperate for a hair cut, so I went to another salon, and cheated on my one true hairdresser, and the affair with the other hairdresser was a disaster. I would try Cost Cutters but I am afraid they are all just out of school. JJ, you are so funny.