Receiving royalties

Posted by: Di

Receiving royalties - 02/08/06 07:53 AM

I have a company who wants to lease a soap mold we had made exclusively for our business. The company is not a soap company.They want to use about 8-10 mold sheets.

Has anyone ever done this before? I've already contacted an atty and they want to charge about $1000 to write up an agreement, which would defeat the purpose of making money!

I'm looking for some sort of blanket agreement- type document that could be "tweaked" for my use.

Or, if you know of something/someone I could contact.

Thanks!
Posted by: Songbird

Re: Receiving royalties - 02/08/06 07:11 PM

Di: Maybe you can contact the SBA for info regarding that issue.
Posted by: MaryE

Re: Receiving royalties - 02/08/06 07:46 PM

Nolo Press is an excellent resource for do-it-yourself legal information. They have many books on many different topics. www.nolopress.com

Another resource is SCORE: The Service Corps of Retired Executives. www.score.org. This group may be affiliated with the SBA in some way, but I'm not sure. Their website has a lot of info, and you may be able to get a free and/or low cost consultation if they have a chapter in your city/area.

Good luck
Posted by: Dotsie

Re: Receiving royalties - 02/09/06 08:18 AM

I would recommend contacting your local Small Business Administration.

They may have lawyers who answer simple questions for free.
Posted by: smilinize

Re: Receiving royalties - 02/09/06 08:33 AM

Di
If you created the molds yourself, you might want to copyright them as works of art. If you register your copyright, they are protected by Federal law (costs around $30). They might also be pattented, but that is for new and different processes which your molds don't seem to be and it is more expensive.

Either way, you can 'license' someone to use your molds for a specific amount of time or number of reproductions.

You might try to find the "licensing agreement" that is used to license musicals and plays and revise it. Those are available through the Writers Guild and possibly online.

Best of luck. This sounds like a very important expansion of your business.

smile
Posted by: Songbird

Re: Receiving royalties - 02/08/06 09:50 PM

Dotsie: thanks for spelling it out-(SBA).