Berber Carpet?

Posted by: Cookie

Berber Carpet? - 10/03/06 07:50 PM

I need a good wall to wall carpet in my family room where the foot traffic is heavy. Does anyone have Berber carpet, and if so, how do you like it? I have heard it is a very durable carpet that shows no "walking path". But I also heard it can snag easy, unravel, and it is harder to clean up spills. Is this so? Is there any carpet that won't show a wear pattern after awhile? We have wood floor through out most of the house now. I would like it in the family room too, but my hubby seems to think we would be OD-ing on the wood floor. But truth be known, I think he just doesn't want to install anymore wood flooring!
Posted by: Pam R.

Re: Berber Carpet? - 10/03/06 09:32 PM

I have berber in my family room Cookie. Yes, it does snag. Haven't had a spill just yet so I don't know about the clean ups. It does not have a walking path and really does look very nice. Would I do it again?...probably!
Posted by: Bluebird

Re: Berber Carpet? - 10/03/06 09:32 PM

What you've said is true about Berber carpeting. It doesn't leave a path or wear down, but it does snag and unravel. You can push the yarn back down and glue it, but it's a pain. Maybe the more expensive ones are less prone to snagging.
Have you considered laminate flooring? Much easier to install and maintain than wood and it cleans beautifully. You can get them in different patterns and colors if you don't want the wood plank look in another room.
Posted by: dejavu

Re: Berber Carpet? - 10/04/06 10:08 AM

I have berber carpet in my family room. It's been there for about 5 years, have never had a snag despite hard use (3 teenagers!). Maybe if you have toddlers using wheeled toys, I don't know. Wears well, doesn't show a path. Not as plush as regular carpet but looks good. Spills clean up well.
Posted by: Dianne

Re: Berber Carpet? - 10/04/06 02:41 PM

We have Berber and love it. Spills clean up easily and I just spot clean it if there is a shoe mark on it.
Posted by: chatty lady

Re: Berber Carpet? - 10/04/06 10:20 PM

If you are going to invest in a carpet I would get the best quality Berber because it is nearly indestructable. It lasts and lasts, cleans up well and does not snag unless you try really hard to snag it. I would like to have it in my whole house. Oh, and the colors are really nice as well.
Posted by: Cookie

Re: Berber Carpet? - 10/04/06 11:39 PM

Thanks ladies! I appreciate your opinions and advice very much.
Posted by: craftyone

Re: Berber Carpet? - 10/05/06 02:05 PM

Just want to add one thing. If you have pets, it may not work for you. Their nails get caught and pull on the loops. But if you have no pets, its a great choice!