Asphalt or Metal - pros and cons

Posted by: jawjaw

Asphalt or Metal - pros and cons - 04/29/10 09:38 PM

I'm making the decision tomorrow on either a new metal roof or another asphalt one.

Anyone here know the pros and cons of a metal vs. asphalt? I've done some research and found that the metal ones have a much longer warranty, and there is something underneath the metal to keep the sound down when heavy rain or hail comes along, and that it supposedly will outlast the asphalt.

My roofing guy says he can give me a metal one for the same price as the asphalt.

What do you think?
Posted by: Dancing Dolphin

Re: Asphalt or Metal - pros and cons - 04/29/10 11:56 PM

Ha, yes!! You are asking the right person. I built a website for a metal roofing manufacturer: http://www.met-tile.com/

This particular brand is rated very high for hurricanes, but it is probably 4-5 times more expensive than a regular asphalt shingle roof.

I have a friend who has one, and she has been pleased.

If this guy can do a metal one for the same price, I would be sure to check the brand and warranty; they are NOT all the same at all. Some are just laid up there, and others such as Met-Tile, have very specific installation instructions to join the pieces together to avoid leakage, sound issues, and wind damage.

That being said, they come in some awesome colors now. Let me know what you decide.

Here are some links that might be helpful:
http://www.doityourself.com/stry/roofing-materials-asphalt-versus-metal

http://home-exteriors.suite101.com/article.cfm/shingle_roofs_vs_metal_roofs
Posted by: chatty lady

Re: Asphalt or Metal - pros and cons - 04/30/10 12:26 AM

Metal sounds like bullets pelting the roof when it rains (noisy) where as asphalt is much quieter. Those are the only pros cons I have ever heard on the subject of roofs. Does one hold the heat and/or air conditioning better?

Re: Asphalt or Metal - pros and cons - 04/30/10 04:42 AM

They have "stuff" they put between the metal an the foundation of the roof now chatty where the noise isn't a factor.

From everything I've read, including the links you gave me, Kathy, the metal roof wins, hands down. Hmm....tomorrow will tell the tale!
Posted by: chatty lady

Re: Asphalt or Metal - pros and cons - 05/03/10 11:58 PM

So what did you decide JJ? Did you get a new roof? Just wondering...

Re: Asphalt or Metal - pros and cons - 05/04/10 02:15 AM

As it turned out, he wanted MORE money for the metal so I said do the asphalt. They should start in a few weeks. Thanks for asking!
Posted by: Mountain Ash

Re: Asphalt or Metal - pros and cons - 05/04/10 07:16 PM

Will this work involve you moving while its done or just wearing a hard hat?

Re: Asphalt or Metal - pros and cons - 05/04/10 08:22 PM

No, nothing on my part except putting up with the noise. They'll have it done in one day, two at the most.
Posted by: AvalonBlondi

Re: Asphalt or Metal - pros and cons - 05/04/10 10:59 PM

I think you made the smart choice JJ...:)
Posted by: meredithbead

Re: Asphalt or Metal - pros and cons - 05/15/10 01:28 AM

We need a new roof too, and estimates I got were around 10K. eek I'm waiting for summer so I have time to just up and leave when it gets too noisy. Haven't done any research yet on what type.